Sox (2-0) at Cleveland (0-2) 4/3 @ 12:05 CSN

Texsox

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 01:58 PM)
This is why you don't bunt in the 4th inning.

This is why you dont bunt with people who dont know how to bunt.

I bet PK or Dunn wouldnt look that bad.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 12:58 PM)
Alexei is so worthless in the beginning of the season.

Alexei is a horrible bunter regardless of the time of the year. Ozzie is the most stubborn bastard imaginable, it's infuriating.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 02:00 PM)
Yeah, the base running in that play was almost as bad as the bunt itself.

Quentin isn't exactly known for being fleet of foot. He's got to be going hard on contact otherwise he'll get thrown out.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 06:00 PM)
Yeah, the base running in that play was almost as bad as the bunt itself.

I understand AJP getting doubled off, but unless Cox was asleep at 3rd base, Quentin should have been able to get back.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 11:58 AM)
Every time someone tells us how the bunt is the sure thing to move the runners over, we need to remind them of that triple play we just bunted into.

Did they seriously just turn a triple play on us?

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 01:01 PM)
I understand AJP getting doubled off, but unless Cox was asleep at 3rd base, Quentin should have been able to get back.

Cabrera was just standing around at 1B for a good 3 seconds before he realized he had Quentin at second. I assume Quentin just gave up on the play?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 12:48 PM)
this is true but there were 2 other very close pitches which were right at the belt called high. they were very hittable.

Frank Thomas received the same sort of criticism when he was at his peak. There were many who thought his taking pitches an inch or so off the plate should be changed and he would be a bigger monster. The Sox elected not to mess with him. If Dunn suddenly expands his zone a little bit, there's no telling how it actually might backfire. He is what he is. The numbers are pretty consistent. He's going to walk, strikeout, get on base and homer a lot. Its a huge upgrade.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 02:02 PM)
Cabrera was just standing around at 1B for a good 3 seconds before he realized he had Quentin at second. I assume Quentin just gave up on the play?

Well, also AJ was standing on 2b, so even if Carlos had been running back, he'd have had to push AJ off of the base.

I'm still wondering what the baserunners were watching. Why break for the next base when you see the first baseman diving for the ball? Even if the Indians player traps it or drops it, he wasnt going to be able to jump up and throw AJ or Carlos out and second or third.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 01:04 PM)
Well, also AJ was standing on 2b, so even if Carlos had been running back, he'd have had to push AJ off of the base.

That's not much of an excuse, I'm sure AJ could take a step off the bag when he sees Quentin busting it back, he could also ask him nicely if need be.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 12:04 PM)
This. Because you know it won't be the last time we bunt in the early innings.

Ozzie will ALWAYS bunt in that situation against a guy that owns us, even early in the game. So our guys better get f***ing used to it and learn to put down an easy f***ing bunt.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 02:04 PM)
I'm still wondering what the baserunners were watching. Why break for the next base when you see the first baseman diving for the ball? Even if the Indians player traps it or drops it, he wasnt going to be able to jump up and throw AJ or Carlos out and second or third.

The runners were AJ and Carlos.

If they'd stopped and the ball had been dropped, they'd have been thrown out. You can't stop on the bunt even if it looks like it could be caught. Especially not with those 2 runners. Maybe that guy Trout could stop and restart, but not Carlos and AJ.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 01:04 PM)
This. Because you know it won't be the last time we bunt in the early innings.

I don't mind if Pierre or Vizquel bunt if there are run producers coming up behind them, but as was pointed out, even if Alexei gets it down successfully, and it sure seems he had little chance, you're putting ducks on the pond for Vizquel, not exactly a run machine. The OF would be shallow and with AJP on second base, so even if he gets a hit, its only one run. A sac fly is a longshot.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 01:06 PM)
Ozzie will ALWAYS bunt in that situation against a guy that owns us, even early in the game. So our guys better get f***ing used to it and learn to put down an easy f***ing bunt.

Not everyone is capable of getting down a bunt, it's the manager's job to know his personnel's strengths and weaknesses. Bunting will always be a weakness for Alexei.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 12:07 PM)
I don't mind if Pierre or Vizquel bunt if there are run producers coming up behind them, but as was pointed out, even if Alexei gets it down successfully, and it sure seems he had little chance, you're putting ducks on the pond for Vizquel, not exactly a run machine. The OF would be shallow with AJP on second base, so even if he gets a hit, its only one run. A sac fly is a longshot.

I think that is why the bunt was put down...because Ozzie wanted them to be able to score on a single...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 01:06 PM)
The runners were AJ and Carlos.

If they'd stopped and the ball had been dropped, they'd have been thrown out. You can't stop on the bunt even if it looks like it could be caught. Especially not with those 2 runners. Maybe that guy Trout could stop and restart, but not Carlos and AJ.

That's also not your typical s***-armed 1B either, it's Carlos Santana who's fully capable of gunning down Quentin at 3B from his knees if need be.