Sox (2-0) at Cleveland (0-2) 4/3 @ 12:05 CSN

Texsox

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Saufley @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 03:44 PM)
Someone needs to teach Ramirez how to bunt.

Why? Did I enter an alternate reality where we warped into the NL or its the AL and its 1950. Its the AL teams score runs. Nibbling around for a single run when other teams pile on runs is a recipe for failure. If you want to bunt late in the game for the tying run, then sure go for it. Before the 7th inning now, no reason at all. The Manager is still trying to recreate his Marlin's NL team. Thank God that Kenny at least took away one of his NL capabilities and found a real DH.

The first two games showed a lot of excellent hitting. Hitting to all fields and driving the ball. Hopefully that approach is what we see most of the season. I hope that the "strategy" is taken out of Guillens hands this year.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 03:51 PM)
Why? Did I enter an alternate reality where we warped into the NL or its the AL and its 1950. Its the AL teams score runs. Nibbling around for a single run when other teams pile on runs is a recipe for failure. If you want to bunt late in the game for the tying run, then sure go for it. Before the 7th inning now, no reason at all. The Manager is still trying to recreate his Marlin's NL team. Thank God that Kenny at least took away one of his NL capabilities and found a real DH.

The first two games showed a lot of excellent hitting. Hitting to all fields and driving the ball. Hopefully that approach is what we see most of the season. I hope that the "strategy" is taken out of Guillens hands this year.

^^

Three games into the season and I've already found a reason to be pissed at Ozzie! mysmilie_373.gif (

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 05:17 PM)
Let Ozzie learn his lessons now against bad teams that aren't going to be any competition for us going out.

He hasn't learned his lessons in 6 seasons of managing. I don't think it''ll change, and I don't think he's the only manager who will continue to make poor sacrifice decisions.

I'm going to give Ozzie a break. If Alexei gets the runners over, chances are he comes back with Omar trying to do the same thing with a squeeze play. And if that worked, everyone is happy. Alexei just didn't get the job done in a close game where Danks and Masterson were both pitching well.

Now if it was Vizquel and Pierre on 1st and 2nd, I wouldn't want Beckham to sacrifice with his live bat and Dunn and Konerko coming up behind him.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 06:33 PM)
I'm going to give Ozzie a break. If Alexei gets the runners over, chances are he comes back with Omar trying to do the same thing with a squeeze play. And if that worked, everyone is happy. Alexei just didn't get the job done in a close game where Danks and Masterson were both pitching well.

Now if it was Vizquel and Pierre on 1st and 2nd, I wouldn't want Beckham to sacrifice with his live bat and Dunn and Konerko coming up behind him.

The only kind of bunts that Alexei should be doing are drag bunts for a hit. He seems to be able to drop down some nice bunts down the 3B line when he trying to get a hit. But when he is squaring up, he is real bad.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 05:33 PM)

No, it's a common theme around here that people are pretty unhappy when we try to bunt with no outs and 2 people on early in a game. Not to mention, it NEVER and I mean f***IN NEVER works for this team. It's one of those things your manager has to realize at some point but apparently he doesn't learn. Vizquel and Pierre should be the only two people ever trying to sacrifice bunt on this club.

It doesn't work often, but you have Vizquel and Pierre hitting behind Alexei. I'm just chalking it up to non-execution more than a bad managerial move. But if he decided that he would never call for a bunt unless it's for one run in the 8th or 9th inning, it wouldn't bother me either.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 04:48 PM)
It doesn't work often, but you have Vizquel and Pierre hitting behind Alexei. I'm just chalking it up to non-execution more than a bad managerial move. But if he decided that he would never call for a bunt unless it's for one run in the 8th or 9th inning, it wouldn't bother me either.

And Alexei never executes sacrifice bunts, you'd think after his first 3 years with the Sox, that would be something that Ozzie would have caught onto by now.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 05:56 PM)
Fine. Ozzie's dumb.

And the Sox will not be going wire-to-wire, as the Royals just took 3 of 4 from the Angels.

Dumb? No. Stubborn to a fault? Yes. But I'm not even trippin' that much about the bunt. I'm much more concerned with the middle relief. We've got three really bad pitchers in Ohman, Pena and Humber. Even the best teams will have one gascan. But to have three on a team capable of winning a division title is kinda scary.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 06:01 PM)
Dumb? No. Stubborn to a fault? Yes. But I'm not even trippin' that much about the bunt. I'm much more concerned with the middle relief. We've got three really bad pitchers in Ohman, Pena and Humber. Even the best teams will have one gascan. But to have three on a team capable of winning a division title is kinda scary.

What? You can't judge the sox of the white variety, you're BANNED!

Hopefully Ozzie learns to only use Ohman against lefties and Coop can help him with his location.

Humber didn't look too bad - just also had location issues.

I'm concerned with Matt as the closer with just 2 pitches... I'd have preferred Sale.

We'll see how it rides - I think that the bullpen can get it together and is just behind schedule.

Fingers crossed - it's gotta get better or things will be ugly / need to change.

Again - it's only been 3 games... we've still got 159 more left... so at this point, there's no real reason to make judgments IMO.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 06:33 PM)
Hopefully Ozzie learns to only use Ohman against lefties and Coop can help him with his location.

Humber didn't look too bad - just also had location issues.

I'm concerned with Matt as the closer with just 2 pitches... I'd have preferred Sale.

We'll see how it rides - I think that the bullpen can get it together and is just behind schedule.

Fingers crossed - it's gotta get better or things will be ugly / need to change.

Again - it's only been 3 games... we've still got 159 more left... so at this point, there's no real reason to make judgments IMO.

Ok....Ill just say it.....Ohman is not ready for the big leagues. Hes taking up a roster spot from someone that is.

QUOTE (hometeamfan @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 04:43 PM)
Ok....Ill just say it.....Ohman is not ready for the big leagues. Hes taking up a roster spot from someone that is.

Not ready?? He's like an 8 or 9 year veteran. He's just not good. Surely there is a left-hander who can get left-handed bats OUT better than what we've seen from Ohman. And he should NEVER face a right-handed bat.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Apr 3, 2011 -> 06:02 PM)
Not ready?? He's like an 8 or 9 year veteran. He's just not good. Surely there is a left-hander who can get left-handed bats OUT better than what we've seen from Ohman. And he should NEVER face a right-handed bat.

AGREED