2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 02:03 PM)
Agreed. Most games have been decided pretty early. And I don't think there's been a single buzzer beater or near buzzer beater.

I miss Gus! This tournament has been awful besides for Norfolk State/Mizzou in my opinion. As I said last night, I can't recall a single clutch shot in the last 10 seconds of a game.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 04:33 PM)
Definitely, I was just thinking that today. Here's hoping IU can stun everyone again tonight. Actually, I think this win would be more shocking than the first, if only because of the "Kentucky out for revenge" angle.

First of all, Kentucky isn't out for revenge. They are out to win a championship.

But it would be more shocking, just for a different reason...because it's in the tournament, and it's not in Indiana.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 10:01 AM)
Anybody else incredibly bored by this year's tourney? The Duke/Missouri upsets were fun (for some of us), but with no buzzer beaters, no great individual performances, it feels like this tourney has been pretty blah so far.

oh its been incredibly blah.

only thing that would get me excited for a game this tournament would be a Kentucky-Louisville Final Four showdown.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 05:28 PM)
First of all, Kentucky isn't out for revenge. They are out to win a championship.

But it would be more shocking, just for a different reason...because it's in the tournament, and it's not in Indiana.

I'd agree that they're out to win a Championship as the top priority, but I'm guessing getting payback added some fuel to the fire.

I also don't think "in the tournament" makes a difference. Both teams are young and don't really have tourney experience.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 11:35 PM)
I'd agree that they're out to win a Championship as the top priority, but I'm guessing getting payback added some fuel to the fire.

I also don't think "in the tournament" makes a difference. Both teams are young and don't really have tourney experience.

It's more shocking to beat a team in the tournament with all chips on the line than a non conference game in December.

Time for a brief soapbox moment...

All-American basketball teams have gotten stupid. Since when did the all-america "team" become the 5 best players? It irriates me when you can have an AP All-American team with no guards.

This year's first team:

Thomas Robinson

Anthony Davis

Draymond Green

Doug McDermott

Jared Sullinger

I could live with three guards or even three forwards and a center, but there is not a guard in this group.

http://www.csnchicago.com/ncaa/news/DePaul...&feedID=661

DePaul looking to build new arena; land Chicago area stars

DAVID KAPLAN

DePaul University, seeking to continue upgrading their men’s basketball program has developed a strategic plan that involves building a new arena near the school’s Lincoln Park campus. The plan requires approval from the university’s board of trustees and will be on the agenda for their May meeting.

If approved it will allow the university to hire the necessary consultants to prepare a feasibility study, which is the first step in planning the construction of an arena that is expected to seat between 10,000-12,000 fans. There are two parcels of land that have long been rumored as potential sites for a new DePaul arena including the Finkl Steel property which is walking distance from the DePaul campus. Also on the potential list of sites is a property that has housed the Morton Salt Company on Elston Avenue near both the Kennedy Expressway and the Chicago River.

Under the leadership of school president -- the Reverend Dennis Holtschneider -- the university has set out an aggressive agenda of goals to improve all facets of the university’s infrastructure and has completed several extensive building projects to modernize and expand the campus. Since his inauguration in 2004, Holtschneider has led the successful completion of the university’s prior strategic plan as well as the creation of its current six-year plan, Vision twenty12.

Approval of the newest strategic plan is expected and with the university’s contract to play games at Allstate Arena only running through 2015 the school is highly motivated to advance this project forward in a very timely manner.

In addition, multiple sources with extensive knowledge of the university hierarchy’s thoughts confirmed to me that the school wants to make a renewed commitment to the city of Chicago. That would include the new arena and an even bigger effort to attract Chicago area basketball stars to return DePaul to what made it one of the nation’s top college programs from the late 1970’s through the mid 1990’s. At that time DePaul dominated the talent rich Chicago-area and had the nation’s #1 ranked program on multiple occasions.

When Westinghouse High School star Mark Aguirre who was the nation’s #1 ranked preps player chose DePaul it put the school on the basketball map and many connected with the school look at current Simeon star Jabari Parker, who is the USA’s top ranked player in the junior class as potentially the next Aguirre.

I honestly don't mind the Groce hiring at all (if it happens). At first I thought he was just another joke mid-major coach, but after hearing about how he recruits and the style his team plays I think he can succeed at U of I.

Yes, his team hasn't done THAT impressively, but it's Ohio. He just broke the school record for wins and returns EVERYBODY next year. I think it's pretty safe to say that Ohio would have been a good team next year. Robert Smith said he wouldn't be blackballed in the CPL. Mullins (an AAU coach) likes Groce and said he could recruit Chicago. He recruited DJ Cooper from Hales Franciscan and he had offers (according to scout) from Baylor and Cal.

I just don't see why people won't give the guy a shot. He beat Georgetown by double digits in the tourney two years ago and made the sweet sixteen this year. At first I discredited him by thinking that Michigan was shaky and USF was just a joke, but he impressed me with the UNC game. He made very good second half adjustments (something that Weber failed to do most of the time) and was a missed FT away from beating UNC.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 04:31 PM)
K State I hear is interested in Boyle, Eustachy, Jank and someone else...

As in the Colorado coach? I know he was at Northern Colorado before that -- does he have some deeper connection to the area that might prevent him from heading somewhere else? I mean, K-State is a step up, but it's not such a massive step that it's reasonable to think he just might like where he's at better.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 04:49 PM)
As in the Colorado coach? I know he was at Northern Colorado before that -- does he have some deeper connection to the area that might prevent him from heading somewhere else? I mean, K-State is a step up, but it's not such a massive step that it's reasonable to think he just might like where he's at better.

Yeah.

Kansas State is definitely a step up in that they actually have a lot of fans that care.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 07:16 PM)
Anyone see the story on Fox yesterday about DePaul possibly building an arena on the NW corner of Fullerton and Sheffield? I don't know where they would put the cars, but I'd go to games.

Yeah, where would an arena go? The NW corner is a strip mall, and not nearly a large enough plot of land. It would be easy access to the EL though.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 08:23 PM)
Yogi Ferrell looking studly in the McD's game. I can see him being the type of player that may only put up 8-12 points in the Big Ten season, but he'll also average 10 assists/game.

Missed the game. Recording the replay at 1am. Glad he played well.