2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 08:26 PM)
Missouri reminds me of the awesome Illinois team with Deron/Dee/Head

That's funny because I never thought of that until I read someone else say that tonight. It's actually a pretty good comparison, but I'm not sure Phil Pressey is quite as good as Deron Williams. Denmon can certainly be the Dee Brown and I think they have enough other shooters to cover the Luther Head spot. I don't remember what Illinois had inside, but I'm sure Missouri isn't as deep in the front court and that's probably the biggest difference.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 09:43 PM)
Missouri could not be playing dumber basketball over the last 5 minutes. Ratlliffe playing he has money on the Illini.

Yeah that was an odd stretch of basketball. Still, the way the game has gone Missouri just needs to get their heads right and they should still win.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 10:02 PM)
jesus. Illinois imploding. Well, they didn't get blown out, so i'll take the loss. They hung in there until a minute to go.

It was kind of a battle of implosions down the stretch so I wouldn't count this as over quite yet.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 10:03 PM)
It was kind of a battle of implosions down the stretch so I wouldn't count this as over quite yet.

Ok phew. Gotta say I don't like Illinois neglecting to foul down 3. Pressing is the obvious call, but after that do you really like your chances down 3 with 12 seconds if you get a stop? I guess Weber respected Missouri's free throw shooting, but you gotta extend the game.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 10:05 PM)
Ok phew. Gotta say I don't like Illinois neglecting to foul down 3. Pressing is the obvious call, but after that do you really like your chances down 3 with 12 seconds if you get a stop? I guess Weber respected Missouri's free throw shooting, but you gotta extend the game.

They're like 17 of 19 in this game. Odds are better you make a defensive stop and go for the tie than have to do that twice.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 23, 2011 -> 04:06 AM)
is Bob Knight retarded? Why not try and make a defensive stop to give you 10-11 seconds to tie and/or get down by one? Why give up one or two possible points?

Cause with Mizzou still in the bonus, you hope to foul someone other than Dixon and get them to miss the front end. With Illinois not in the bonus, it would have been nearly impossible for Illinois to get a 3 pointer off to tie.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 10:07 PM)
They're like 17 of 19 in this game. Odds are better you make a defensive stop and go for the tie than have to do that twice.

Right, but Missouri had made some dumb decisions in the final 10 minutes. Put them under pressure and in a chance to make the mistake. Really, the only way Illinois comes back is if Missouri makes a mental mistake in the last 40 seconds. Give them more chances to do that.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 11:08 PM)
Cause with Mizzou still in the bonus, you hope to foul someone other than Dixon and get them to miss the front end. With Illinois not in the bonus, it would have been nearly impossible for Illinois to get a 3 pointer off to tie.

It wouldn't have been hard at all to get a 3 off. Missouri only had one foul to give and teams suck at executing that especially not coming out of a timeout. If Leonard had any concept of how to play help defense he blocks that shot by Pressey easily and Illinois has a chance to tie. I probably foul to extend the game but I didn't have a real issue with playing it out either. Paul played really well for 38 minutes and then fell apart at the end and that is what lost the game.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 23, 2011 -> 04:12 AM)
It wouldn't have been hard at all to get a 3 off. Missouri only had one foul to give and teams suck at executing that especially not coming out of a timeout. If Leonard had any concept of how to play help defense he blocks that shot by Pressey easily and Illinois has a chance to tie. I probably foul to extend the game but I didn't have a real issue with playing it out either. Paul played really well for 38 minutes and then fell apart at the end and that is what lost the game.

Maybe it's me, but since Weber's been there, his teams have always done a great job when they apply serious pressure in the form of a turnover or foul style press.

The illini were considerably worse when Sam was on the court. I don't take +/- that seriously usually, but I bet in this case it would be pretty spot on. Weber should have never put him back in the game. Put Henry out there if need be, but not Sam. He couldn't do anything with Pressey and they were pressuring him on the ball because he's not quick enough to get around them.

I love the intangibles that Sam brings to the game, but he was embarrassed tonight. This isn't the MVC.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 10:14 PM)
The illini were considerably worse when Sam was on the court. I don't take +/- that seriously usually, but I bet in this case it would be pretty spot on. Weber should have never put him back in the game. Put Henry out there if need be, but not Sam. He couldn't do anything with Pressey and they were pressuring him on the ball because he's not quick enough to get around them.

I love the intangibles that Sam brings to the game, but he was embarrassed tonight. This isn't the MVC.

I think the problem is the young guys, and even Paul, turned the ball over. He wanted to make sure he was going to get a good offensive possession. It wasn't Sam that got beat at the end there, it was Richardson.

Fact is the achilles heel of this team is any opponent with quick guards. They absolutely crush Illinois off the dribble. If Richardson/Paul/Head/Bertrand/Sam could play half as good you're looking at 8-10 free throws off the board. That's the game.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Dec 23, 2011 -> 05:14 AM)

Illinois' freshmen have been terrible this year. Maniscalso has bailed out Weber in a few games. No one on Illinois was playing good defense tonight.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 10:18 PM)
Illinois' freshmen have been terrible this year. Maniscalso has bailed out Weber in a few games. No one on Illinois was playing good defense tonight.

Yes, he has, and I think he'll be fine against less athletic teams in the future. Do you think there was no correlation to the illini making their huge run with him being out of the game for the majority of it?

Nobody played great d tonight, but Sam didn't even have a chance.