2011-2012 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 06:33 PM)
Congrats to Indiana. Calipari sucks at the end of games. A coach with even an inch of intelligence fouls on purpose and IU would have had no chance to win that game. Two fouls to give with 5 seconds left they should have fouled as soon as IU caught it in the backcourt.

He tried. Then again that is what happens when you recruit players who don't care about intelligence at all.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 07:43 PM)
He tried. Then again that is what happens when you recruit players who don't care about intelligence at all.

Then he doesn't communicate very well because that isn't the first time his teams have failed to foul when he supposedly told them to do so at the end of a game.

Words cannot describe my elation.

I was going to agree with the refs being in IU's favor, but it definitely evened out over the course of the game. In any case, it didn't decide the game.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 06:13 PM)
At least someone admits it. The big difference to me is IU making 3s like crazy and most of them on bad shots. Then Hulls thinks he is actually good at basketball and takes an off-balance catch and shoot 3. Yeah right. Either way, invaluable experience for this IU team. They haven't had a big game in a long time.

I'd agree with you...if I haven't seen Jordan Hulls just continually make shots time and again. The kid just makes shots. If he even has an inch of space, he'll nail it.

But maybe we just disagree about 3-pointing in general, because I'm not entirely sure how you consider that Watford "chucking it up" at the end. He was squared up and took a good shot.

I'm not denying IU shot out of their minds for most of that game, because they did. But they weren't exactly randomly thrown up with their eyes closed, either.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 06:47 PM)
But maybe we just disagree about 3-pointing in general, because I'm not entirely sure how you consider that Watford "chucking it up" at the end. He was squared up and took a good shot.

I'm not denying IU shot out of their minds for most of that game, because they did. But they weren't exactly randomly thrown up with their eyes closed, either.

It wasn't a bad shot, but I got tired of seeing IU make bad shots throughout the game. Basically the formula for beating No. 1 this year is: 1. make tons of 3s at a high percentage 2. ???? 3. profit.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 05:31 PM)
My main question is who the f*** thought it was a good idea to put Xavier players behind a microphone? The fight was bad enough, but that made it even worse. "We gotta bunch of gangsters in the locker room." "That's what you're going to get from Cincy/Xavier."

What the f*** were they thinking letting them talk?

Krush, you are dead on. I made that comment last night that the players even being at the press conference after what happened was a major mistake by both the coach and the SID. That falls aon more than just the coach. Hell, I'm sure the AD was even there. Still, I was disappointed in my old college buddy Chris Mack for that.

I haven't heard or read comments from Mack yet, but I was VERY impressed with the Cincinnati coach reacted. I thought it was cool that he made the whole team take off their jerseys and he said he would decide who and when gets to put them back on and represent their school. Cincy has always had more of the reputation reflected by the players actions than the coaches reaction. I was impressed with him.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 10, 2011 -> 06:28 PM)
LOL what a joke. IU makes another chuck. No surprise there.

I'm not sure what's up with you and your hatred for IU but it has you making dumb posts. Watford has hit 3's for 2-3 years now and the last shot was a very good one. He had his feet under him and shoulders square. In that situation I don't think you can ask for a better shot.

And if you have paid attention at all, which I'm sure you have had no reason to so far, Hulls has become a very good basketball player. He has been hitting shots like that all year long. He is far different than the kid 3 years ago who only shot 3's and only when wide open. It doesn't take much room or time for him to get off a quality shot now. He has also been very good inside the arc this year, making a lot of shots off the dribble and in traffic. He still has limitations with height and defensively he can't stop a guy like Teague, but he's become a much better defender in terms of getting steals. A long and athletic team like Kentucky will give him problems because of his height, but how many teams are going to have a 6'7" guy guarding him?

I know you know basketbal so I am chalking this one up to not having seen IU much this year. But players can and do improve. Hulls has done so more in the last two years than anyone I can remember in a long time. It now should be pretty obvious this is a much different team than in past years. And before you get any big ideas, NO, I am not predicting a national title this year. lol

Random thoughts in general on the IU -UK game.

1. IU played well but has a lot of room to get better. I was surprised they were able to hang with Kentucky's athleticism.

2. Foul trouble on Davis played a HUGE part in the game, but that is part of basketball.

3. As well as IU shot 3's, they missed a lot of short shots in the lane in traffic. They only hit 43% total for the game, which is much worse than that have shot for the year so far. Of course, the competition has something to do with that.

4. IU's defense is night and day better than it has been. The biggest weakness and UK e

xposed it late in the game is when they are spread out and have a PG who can drive the lane. Hulls, as much as I love the kid, can't guard talented PG's one on one.

5. The referees let them play. There was a lot of holding, hands slapping everywhere. Both teams were aggressive on defense, especially in the first half. They could have calls fouls on almost every possession so I think they did a pretty good job letting them play.

6. I don't mind listening to Vitale until he starts in on something and beats it to death. I don't know how many times he talked about getting the ball to Zeller (and he was right) but made it sound so easy. "He's open! Get him the ball!" I'm not a coach but it doesn't take a lot to know to get the ball in the post two things have to happen. The post player has to get position AND the player with the ball has to have a lane to get him the pass. If you watch it again, most of the time Kentucky had a defender tight on the guy with the ball and didn't give him much room or time to make the entry pass. You can't just lob it over him, Kentucky is way too athletic for that.

7. That said, IU has to get better at making those entry passes and looking for opportunities immediately and as Zeller is getting position rather than waiting.

8. The players for IU hitting the 3's have been the guys hitting them all year. Sheehey, Oladipo, Watford, Hulls, Jones and even Elston who curiously did not play yesterday have hit 3's consistently all year. IU does take some quick shots and shoots off the dribble a good bit, but they did it on the road at NC St. too so you can't think it is just a home court thing.

9. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is GOOD. I really don't want to see him again playing against my team. That said, something was wrong with Terence Jones yesterday. As Vitale pointed out, he was playing passively, standing around when he didn't have the ball. It looked like he was sulking when he was sitting on the bench. He can be a very good player. Not sure what was up his arse yesterday.

10. "I hate to lose, but if I'm to lose, losing to Tommy is fine because what he's done here in four years and having to do it the way he did it where you're undermanned and now you're trying to fight," Calipari said. "For him to have this happen for him and his family, I'm happy for them. They deserve to win the game." Comments like this make it more difficult for me to dislike Calipari. I still dislike him, but it makes it harder.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 11, 2011 -> 01:51 AM)
It wasn't a bad shot, but I got tired of seeing IU make bad shots throughout the game. Basically the formula for beating No. 1 this year is: 1. make tons of 3s at a high percentage 2. ???? 3. profit.

Isn't that the formula for beating a #1 EVERY year? Unless you mean something like another top 5 team vs. #1, any upset against a #1, especially by an unranked team, is going to involve a lot of 3s and a lot of luck.

To be honest, it sounds like you always want the best team to win. That's not how it works. No one's denying Kentucky is leaps and bounds a better team than IU, but that doesn't mean that IU can't beat them some nights, like yesterday.