Government Shutdown on the clock thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 12:47 PM)
See, when Obama, and you, say 'pass a budget', what you really mean is pass MY budget so I get what I want. The house passed at least 3 CR's in the last day or two, all of which were just ignored out of hand by Harry Reid. Even in the reagan days with Tip O'Neil, they compromised sometimes. Tip was a two-faced liar like most politicians, but you still negotiated and gave up something to get something. What do the Dems want to give up to get? Nothing.

The ACA was passed three years ago, it wasdecided then, and agreed on, to wait until now to begin. There was a presidential election during that time, and the guy who Republicans hung the ACA on by calling it Obamacare, won. The judicial branch had a chance to review and they agreed it was constitutional.

Now why should a continued fight over that enter into a budget?

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 05:47 PM)
See, when Obama, and you, say 'pass a budget', what you really mean is pass MY budget so I get what I want. The house passed at least 3 CR's in the last day or two, all of which were just ignored out of hand by Harry Reid. Even in the reagan days with Tip O'Neil, they compromised sometimes. Tip was a two-faced liar like most politicians, but you still negotiated and gave up something to get something. What do the Dems want to give up to get? Nothing.

The budgets the House is passing are jokes. They might as well put "Obama must step down and be replaced by Romney" in the bills. It's not compromise to expect the Democrats to dump their entire platform of the past few years including things that they managed to pass through Congress.

I'm OK with Obama meeting with Congress, if and only if it is to discuss a grand bargain to encompass the budget AND the debt ceiling. And even though I am not a huge fan of ObamaCare, I'd hope (and I'm pretty sure) that won't be on the table for defunding. Allowing for some specific tweaks or changes makes perfect sense, but defunding it or delaying it en masse is absurd, for many reasons.

If that isn't a topic for discussion - addressing the full boat for a long term solution - then the GOP can roast on the fire they built.

GOP is going down big time for this. They will be crushed in 2014. All they had to do was weather the storm and take back leadership. I don't think that's possible after the latest shenanigans.

I believe in free speech and such but damn Duke, you could be more compassionate and sympathetic toward your fellow posters. Your beef is with the government and that's fine but the people losing their paychecks are clearly collateral damage.

See, when Obama, and you, say 'pass a budget', what you really mean is pass MY budget so I get what I want. The house Senate passed at least 3 CR's in the last day or two, all of which were just ignored out of hand by Harry Reid That Orange Guy. Even in the reagan days with Tip O'Neil, they compromised sometimes. Tip was a two-faced liar like most politicians, but you still negotiated and gave up something to get something. What do the Dems Reps want to give up to get? Nothing.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 06:25 PM)
I'm OK with Obama meeting with Congress, if and only if it is to discuss a grand bargain to encompass the budget AND the debt ceiling. And even though I am not a huge fan of ObamaCare, I'd hope (and I'm pretty sure) that won't be on the table for defunding. Allowing for some specific tweaks or changes makes perfect sense, but defunding it or delaying it en masse is absurd, for many reasons.

If that isn't a topic for discussion - addressing the full boat for a long term solution - then the GOP can roast on the fire they built.

I just think it's a huge mistake unless you are removing debt ceiling forever. Because it's such a ridiculous that what you are 'giving up' is allowing the government of the country to function.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 06:31 PM)
GOP is going down big time for this. They will be crushed in 2014. All they had to do was weather the storm and take back leadership. I don't think that's possible after the latest shenanigans.

I believe in free speech and such but damn Duke, you could be more compassionate and sympathetic toward your fellow posters. Your beef is with the government and that's fine but the people losing their paychecks are clearly collateral damage.

Probably not. Dems don't do well in midterms. Senate likely to flip red. House would be impossible for Rs not to hold.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 01:40 PM)
Probably not. Dems don't do well in midterms. Senate likely to flip red. House would be impossible for Rs not to hold.

Agree on House, disagree on Senate. Lots of already-red states on the slate for the Senate. And I think in cases where the state is not deep red or blue, the GOP is going to be hurting (pending on other world/national events of course). They will likely lose Senate seats IMO. House will likely stay red, but lose some ground and get close to even - but that is harder to predict and depends a lot on the economy in the next year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 01:45 PM)
Agree on House, disagree on Senate. Lots of already-red states on the slate for the Senate. And I think in cases where the state is not deep red or blue, the GOP is going to be hurting (pending on other world/national events of course). They will likely lose Senate seats IMO. House will likely stay red, but lose some ground and get close to even - but that is harder to predict and depends a lot on the economy in the next year.

Either way if the American people send a message to this assholes it will be good.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 01:45 PM)

RE: The Senate, I want to revise my statement. Looking at the races that are even remotely in contention, I don't think the Dems are likely to pick up seats, though it is possible if the GOP keeps shooting themselves in the foot. But the GOP would basically have to sweep all the currently close races to break even in the Senate, and that just seems incredibly unlikely right now. I'll say the Senate likely stays around where it is.

House races are just really tough to predict this early.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 07:22 AM)
Duke, you have reached an all time low. In my years here I have read some pretty despicable things, yesterday you hit the Hall of Shame. Frankly I am embarrased as a long time member here and a mod to allow your posts to remain visible. I hope that most readers understand that you do not reflect the soxtalk community. As a state employee I personally find your remarks insensitive, demeaning, insulting, and beyond contempt.

For the first time since I became a mod I will be recommending that your posting privileges be suspended.

:headbang

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 02:01 PM)
RE: The Senate, I want to revise my statement. Looking at the races that are even remotely in contention, I don't think the Dems are likely to pick up seats, though it is possible if the GOP keeps shooting themselves in the foot. But the GOP would basically have to sweep all the currently close races to break even in the Senate, and that just seems incredibly unlikely right now. I'll say the Senate likely stays around where it is.

House races are just really tough to predict this early.

I have a slightly different take on this. Honestly, I do not care if they switch to blue or red. I hope both sides send new players who will be more cooperative. The old school guys like McCain and the late Paul Simon could come up with solutions that worked. I would rather see a balanced left and right who worked together than all red or all blue.

I have a slightly different take on this. Honestly, I do not care if they switch to blue or red. I hope both sides send new players who will be more cooperative. The old school guys like McCain and the late Paul Simon could come up with solutions that worked. I would rather see a balanced left and right who worked together than all red or all blue.

Can we just let Joe Donnelly run everything and tell the other 99 to go home?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 02:31 PM)
I know you don't like Donnelly, but as a conservative you have to admit he'd be a massive upgrade over Harry Reid.

A lower primate would be an upgrade over Reid. I really dislike that guy.

Having the legislature and the President from different parties doesn't have to mean we have this kind of gridlock. On a local level, I always thought it was interesting that the times when Illinois government was working best, was when you had Thompson and Edgar in the governor's chair, and a Madigan-led legislature on the other side. Things started getting much uglier with Blago and now Quinn in the governor's role, even though they are from the same party. It is about having reasonable, intelligent people in the right positions, not about what party is in charge (as much).

Well well well, not only could the clean CR pass with a majority, apparently it could pass with a majority of the majority:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/just-w...of-gravity-here

Yet...still not up for a vote. Why? John Boehner fears he'll lose his speakership. I hope you understand why you are sacrificing, hickoryhuskers. B/c John Boehner doesn't want to fight too hard for his job.

Clearly, both sides are at fault and Democrats should compromise some more.

edit: Captain Phillips is a cleverly timed propaganda piece from the Obama administration, meant to remind the radical politicians willing to shut down the government and default on the debt if their demands aren't met, exactly how he negotiates with irrational hostage-takers.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 01:39 PM)
I just think it's a huge mistake unless you are removing debt ceiling forever. Because it's such a ridiculous that what you are 'giving up' is allowing the government of the country to function.

How much debt is too much?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 2, 2013 -> 02:57 PM)
Clearly, both sides are at fault and Democrats should compromise some more.

edit: Captain Phillips is a cleverly timed propaganda piece from the Obama administration, meant to remind the radical politicians willing to shut down the government and default on the debt if their demands aren't met, exactly how he negotiates with irrational hostage-takers.

What have they compromised on yet?