What is Going Wrong With the Sox

Felix

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 01:59 PM)
No it hasn't.

The Sox are 607-545 (.527) under Guillen including this year.

Removing both 2007 and 2005, they're 436-392 (.527).

Removing only 2007 they're 535-455 (.540).

Yes it is. That's why the overall record is 335-331 in the initial post. He dumped off all of the best years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 02:20 PM)
Yes it is. That's why the overall record is 335-331 in the initial post. He dumped off all of the best years.

No, it absolutely is not left out of this post which I was replying to:

QUOTE (Anderson Cooper's Quivering @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 01:07 PM)
Removing the outlier of 2007 and looking at the W/L since Ozzie has been manager, the Sox record is 528-445. That's 83 games over 500. That's an average season of 88-74.

Fire Ozzie.

Here's the record under ozzie.

2004 83-79

2005 99-63

2006 90-72

2007 72-90

2008 89-74

2009 79-83

2010 88-74

2011 7-10

Which leads to this:

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 01:59 PM)
No it hasn't.

The Sox are 607-545 (.527) under Guillen including this year.

Removing both 2007 and 2005, they're 436-392 (.527).

Removing only 2007 they're 535-455 (.540).

I included 2011, he didn't, which is why we have slightly different numbers, but Anderson took every year 2004-2010 except 2007.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:08 PM)
And if you have one during the 3rd week of the season, who knows how many more you'll have the rest of the year.

No, you moron. We're getting our rough patches out of the way early. You're an idiot if you can't see that.

LOL that reminds me of the Family Guy skit with the jew in ancient Egypt saying basically the same thing.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 02:48 PM)
No, it absolutely is not left out of this post which I was replying to:

Here's the record under ozzie.

2004 83-79

2005 99-63

2006 90-72

2007 72-90

2008 89-74

2009 79-83

2010 88-74

2011 7-10

Which leads to this:

I included 2011, he didn't, which is why we have slightly different numbers, but Anderson took every year 2004-2010 except 2007.

Which was in response to the orginal poster leaving off the two best years, which is what elecited that response in the first place. This whole thread was framed with the worst possible time frame.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 03:57 PM)
Which was in response to the orginal poster leaving off the two best years, which is what elecited that response in the first place. This whole thread was framed with the worst possible time frame.

And even with the worst possible time frame...Ozzie winds up a .500 manager.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)
So...his overall winning percentage averages out to about 85 wins a year and that puts him in "unfireable" territory? It's good to be Ozzie Guillen.

At least he's in good company. Joe Torre and Tony LaRussa's overall winning percentages average out to 87 wins; Whitey Herzog's 86 wins; and Tommy Lasorda checks in at 85 wins.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 03:19 PM)
At least he's in good company. Joe Torre and Tony LaRussa's overall winning percentages average out to 87 wins; Whitey Herzog's 86 wins; and Tommy Lasorda checks in at 85 wins.

Before anyone askes, Gardenhire checks in at 88.8.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 06:08 AM)
I realize it's early but when you lose games the way we did by blowing leads in the 9th time and time again, a losing streak like this was bound to happen. Last nights loss is particularly disappointing. In any event, it's not over, but it's just plain unacceptable and we need to turn things around.

This ^. Regardless of optimistic or pessimistic point of views, I think this a cause/effect situation. The failures of the bullpen set up the frame of mind that caused the current tailspin.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 04:34 PM)
I would venture a guess that a 89 will get you into the playoffs a lot more frequently than 85.

And I'd venture a guess that there are very few managers in baseball history who average 89 wins, and even fewer who are currently available.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)
And I'd venture a guess that there are very few managers in baseball history who average 89 wins, and even fewer who are currently available.

Besides Joe Torre due to his time with the Yankees...? Braves' years probably pull the average down, though.

Cito Gaston?

Cox?

Scioscia?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 03:20 PM)
The Sox have the fifth highest win percentage in the AL since 2004 behind the yankees, red sox, angels and twins.

Which is both good and bad; good, because it's a good record. It's bad because, if everything were to remain constant throughout, the Sox would be the first team out every single year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 04:52 PM)
Which is both good and bad; good, because it's a good record. It's bad because, if everything were to remain constant throughout, the Sox would be the first team out every single year.

Correction...the Sox would simply need to get Bud Selig to push through his playoff expansion plan and they'd be in every year.

I think we can get a bit messed up relying on past years stats. Heck if we went by winning pennants and world series stats for a comparison against other winners or years we would have come away with the idea that we had no way of winning the whole thing in 2005. We are in an early season losing streak and folks need to regain some sense of sanity here. 147 games left and we are not out of it.

Ugh. Replace KW with what exactly? A GM like those 20 or so mediocre teams have? Or like the ones the deep pocket teams have? It took the Rays and Rangers over 10 years to grow their teams, after a lot of failure from top prospects washing out. 10 years man, 10 years. I like our living dangerously close to the edge style. We can squeeze a top prospect up every once in a while, but for the most part, those prospects are used as trading bullets. I don't mind having a chance every year. I really don't.

The Yanks n Red Sox have just enough more coin than us to consistently carry an extra All-Star or two. It's just cash, not KW.

Even if we only won 2-3 games on this road trip, it's not like KW can do anything this early in the season.

We can't even blame the bullpen for this recent stretch. I suppose you might see Teahen getting more at-bats, or Omar, but there's really no solution for Juan Pierre. It's not like they're going to bring up Viciedo or Milledge to replace him in LF even if his stolen base success rate is 33%.

We're just going to have to wait and see. Last year, we were all the way down to 9 games under .500 and dead in the water.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 04:23 PM)
Ugh. Replace KW with what exactly? A GM like those 20 or so mediocre teams have? Or like the ones the deep pocket teams have? It took the Rays and Rangers over 10 years to grow their teams, after a lot of failure from top prospects washing out. 10 years man, 10 years. I like our living dangerously close to the edge style. We can squeeze a top prospect up every once in a while, but for the most part, those prospects are used as trading bullets. I don't mind having a chance every year. I really don't.

The Yanks n Red Sox have just enough more coin than us to consistently carry an extra All-Star or two. It's just cash, not KW.

Not just an All-Star or two, make it five or six. Of course, part of that is the ESPN/East Coast media bias kicking in.

We're always lucky to get one or maybe two unless we're 20-30 games over .500 at the ASB.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:50 PM)
No, you moron. We're getting our rough patches out of the way early. You're an idiot if you can't see that.

LOL that reminds me of the Family Guy skit with the jew in ancient Egypt saying basically the same thing.

Oh, I see. The plan is to get the rough patches over with early. Very clever of the White Sox. The Twins are doing the same thing. Be that as it may, when other teams are going through their rough patches the Sox will sneakily go on a winning rampage. Awesome plan!!!