Juan Pierre

Special K

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 5, 2011 -> 10:39 AM)
Pierre should go. Sacrifice 3/4's of his salary. We won't get a draft pick for him. We should call up The Tank and see what happens. Can't be any worse. That will open another spot in minors for someone, as well as the 40 man roster. We have to find out if he is the real deal. Pierre's remainning salary is wasted anyway. Come on Kenny, do something.

If the Tank is simply not ready (and he's still been struggling to start the year) then yes, it can be worse. Not just this year, but in terms of solidifying bad habits for the long term.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 5, 2011 -> 11:56 AM)
If the Tank is simply not ready (and he's still been struggling to start the year) then yes, it can be worse. Not just this year, but in terms of solidifying bad habits for the long term.

I was at the game on Tuesday and I swear they put on the scoreboard that Viciedo has a 10 game hitting streak and is hitting well over .300 during this stretch. If true, I think his hand was affecting him initially and now he's good to go. If it were up to me, I'd call up Viciedo in a heartbeat. The only reasons he was in AAA was there was no roster spot for him and people assumed his defense would need work. Everything I've seen has said his defense has been solid. Now that our offense is struggling immensely, we need to find a spot for him somewhere. Pierre is all but done IMO, so let Viciedo take over LF. Not only do you get more production out of LF, but you can stop giving your worst offensive player the most at-bats. Seems like a double win for me.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 5, 2011 -> 01:11 PM)
I was at the game on Tuesday and I swear they put on the scoreboard that Viciedo has a 10 game hitting streak and is hitting well over .300 during this stretch. If true, I think his hand was affecting him initially and now he's good to go. If it were up to me, I'd call up Viciedo in a heartbeat. The only reasons he was in AAA was there was no roster spot for him and people assumed his defense would need work. Everything I've seen has said his defense has been solid. Now that our offense is struggling immensely, we need to find a spot for him somewhere. Pierre is all but done IMO, so let Viciedo take over LF. Not only do you get more production out of LF, but you can stop giving your worst offensive player the most at-bats. Seems like a double win for me.

Last 10 games (43 AB) for Dayan:

.349/.341/.558/.899

2 HR, 3 2B, 11 RBI, 0 BB, 9 K

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 5, 2011 -> 12:11 PM)

Good call. +1

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 5, 2011 -> 07:43 PM)
TAke note of course of the 0 bb's when I say he's still not ready

If you think his 0 walks means he's not ready, then you might not remember how impatient Dayan is with taking pitches. He's ready as far as hitting for average. He will never be a high, or decent or even average walk guy. He will however hit for alot of power/gap to gap and give you a solid average with a moderate OBP.

We're having trouble scoring runs, obviously.

That means Viciedo in LF, Teahen at 3B and possibly more starts for Castro at catcher.

In the short term, those are the only solutions.

Ramirez would probably have to be the leadoff hitter. Not ideal, but there's no better option.

Otherwise, they can simply leave Viciedo down at Charlotte and try De Aza, but that's not drastic enough IMO.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 6, 2011 -> 07:26 AM)
If you think his 0 walks means he's not ready, then you might not remember how impatient Dayan is with taking pitches. He's ready as far as hitting for average. He will never be a high, or decent or even average walk guy. He will however hit for alot of power/gap to gap and give you a solid average with a moderate OBP.

The problem with his being unable/unwilling to take pitches is that for him to be really a monster doing that, he's going to need to be Vlad in terms of his plate coverage. If he can't lay off a difficult pitch, like the high and tight fastball that was killing him last year, and he can't make contact with that pitch, then pitchers will just throw things out of the zone to get ahead of him and strike him out ont he pitch he can't lay off of.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 6, 2011 -> 07:02 AM)
We're having trouble scoring runs, obviously.

That means Viciedo in LF, Teahen at 3B and possibly more starts for Castro at catcher.

In the short term, those are the only solutions.

Ramirez would probably have to be the leadoff hitter. Not ideal, but there's no better option.

Otherwise, they can simply leave Viciedo down at Charlotte and try De Aza, but that's not drastic enough IMO.

And be prepared to see more errors than my coed church league softball team makes.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 6, 2011 -> 09:11 AM)
And be prepared to see more errors than my coed church league softball team makes.

Unfortunately, that's not a defense for keeping DV down in the minors. Because we've already seen your church softball team play the OF for us.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 6, 2011 -> 07:34 AM)
The problem with his being unable/unwilling to take pitches is that for him to be really a monster doing that, he's going to need to be Vlad in terms of his plate coverage. If he can't lay off a difficult pitch, like the high and tight fastball that was killing him last year, and he can't make contact with that pitch, then pitchers will just throw things out of the zone to get ahead of him and strike him out ont he pitch he can't lay off of.

The guy is hitting over .350 during his current streak. When you're this locked in, you're naturally going to swing more and draw less walks. Prior to this steak, he drew four walks in 13 games or so. His walk numbers will never be great, but I think they'll gradually improve over time and become more than acceptable for a high average/power hitter.

Here's my question, is he really going to become a patient hitter after one year in AAA? What will he learn in AAA that he can't learn up here? I honestly think he'd learn to be more patient much quicker up here, because quality pitchers will attempt to exploit his lack of it, forcing him to make adjustments.

Regardless, I'll take his low OBP and high SLG over Juan Pierre's empty AVG right now. Something has to change and Viciedo is the closest thing we have to an impact bat in the minors. If KW doesn't call him up soon, then I don't think he is trying anymore.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 6, 2011 -> 08:17 AM)
The guy is hitting over .350 during his current streak. When you're this locked in, you're naturally going to swing more and draw less walks. Prior to this steak, he drew four walks in 13 games or so. His walk numbers will never be great, but I think they'll gradually improve over time and become more than acceptable for a high average/power hitter.

Here's my question, is he really going to become a patient hitter after one year in AAA? What will he learn in AAA that he can't learn up here? I honestly think he'd learn to be more patient much quicker up here, because quality pitchers will attempt to exploit his lack of it, forcing him to make adjustments.

Regardless, I'll take his low OBP and high SLG over Juan Pierre's empty AVG right now. Something has to change and Viciedo is the closest thing we have to an impact bat in the minors. If KW doesn't call him up soon, then I don't think he is trying anymore.

And when he is in a slump, Dayan will swing more to get out of it. The guy isn't swinging at more pitches because he is hot. He swings at everything, all of the time. Think of him as Barney Stinson.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 6, 2011 -> 08:19 AM)
And when he is in a slump, Dayan will swing more to get out of it. The guy isn't swinging at more pitches because he is hot. He swings at everything, all of the time. Think of him as Barney Stinson.

Yet he was able to draw 4 walks in 13 games when he was struggling.

Gotta bring up Tank soon. Another big game last night. Why is this such a tough decision? Might as well bring up journeyman 3B Mcpherson (sp) at same time. That'll make room for other minor league promotions at third, OF.