Sox versus Twins 12:10 pm Afternoon Delight

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 02:02 PM)
Man...really? This is the stance you are gonna take? Of all the holes in this team, it is the "Gordon Beckham was an awful draft pick" stance?

Going into that draft, there is no way, NO WAY you were saying that. Hell, I venture to guess that 80-85% of the pundits thought that was a great pick.

It is easy to second guess now, when you get to see stats 2 years later, and say "SEE!! I knew we made a mistake!!!11"

I didn't say that. I liked the pick at the time. But what I like or don't like doesn't matter. This team can't produce a f***ing thing internally. It's pathetic. I can hindsight all I want. I don't get paid to scout, draft and develop major league talent. This team has no future whatsoever going forward. Save your '05 DVDs. That's all you're going to be able to hold on to until Ozzie, KW and hopefully JR are gone.

Edited by Jordan4life

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 02:02 PM)
Man...really? This is the stance you are gonna take? Of all the holes in this team, it is the "Gordon Beckham was an awful draft pick" stance?

Going into that draft, there is no way, NO WAY you were saying that. Hell, I venture to guess that 80-85% of the pundits thought that was a great pick.

It is easy to second guess now, when you get to see stats 2 years later, and say "SEE!! I knew we made a mistake!!!11"

Yea, I'll agree here. Becks was thought of as a great pick then, we just didn't develop him well (not knowing how to handle a slump is a large part of why young players spend time in the minors).

It's the picks after him though (or after the first round) that we have been still pretty bad at.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 01:04 PM)
I didn't say that. I liked the pick at the time. But what I like or don't like doesn't matter. This team can't produce a f***ing thing internally. It's pathetic. I can hindsight all I want. I don't get paid to scout, draft and develop major league talent. This team has no future whatsoever going forward. Save your '05 DVDs. That's all you're going to be able to hold on to until Ozzie, KW and hopefully JR are gone.

And this is why everyone thinks you're just emotional and ridiculous.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 08:04 PM)

Greg Walker's biggest weakness as a hitting coach is his inability to help his young players adjust to the league after the league adjusts to them. Happened with Josh Fields, and now it's happening with Beckham. As for the Beckham pick, I'm fine with it. I wanted Smoak first, Beckham second...and not Wallace or Castro.

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 03:04 PM)
Haha you're right, I think Stoney or Hawk said "hold em' here" and I went with it. Hold stats are for tie games.

Hold stats are when you come into the game in a save situation and leave with the lead in tact and the game not yet over.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 01:58 PM)
That was nearly two years ago. When I see Andrew McCutchen, Mike Stanton, Buster Posey (before he got hurt), Logan Morrison, Gaby Sanchez and Eric Hosmer making their marks on this game, and Gordon Beckham doing his best '92 Steve Sax impersonation for a year and a half, yes, it was a bust of a pick.

And who do you suggest should be playing 2B for the White Sox instead? And how will they possibly acquire said player?

Should they just waive him?

I don't think it's fair to compare Eric Hosmer to Gordon Beckham, but go ahead.

What about all those teams that didn't give Mark Buerhle a chance? Should their scouting departments be fired, too?

The Sox drafts have absolutely sucked, but there are numerous organizations that have had terrible drafts....cherrypicking is too easy to do.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 08:03 PM)
The question that needs to be asked, IMO, is how many managers or coaches in any sport would catch so little heat or even survive being so consistently futile and impotent against a team's primary rival, for so long, as we've been against the Twins, regardless of who they pitch or hit?

His attempts to motivate this team have completely backfired.

And it's reason #1 he needs to go

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 02:02 PM)
That is just beyond ridiculous that you are attempting to make this argument right now. Even for you.

It's one thing to be upset about not having the #1 or #2 overall pick that went on to have a great career (would rather not be in that position), but giving excuse after excuse for not drafting and developing talent that wasn't in the first round has been tiresome for the past 5+ years.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 03:04 PM)

That's a different argument altogether and you're absolutely right about it.

But when you even say you liked the pick and when almost everyone, if not everyone, liked the pick at the time it is ridiculous to ridicule that pick 3 years later when viewing it in hindsight compared to other players.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 01:07 PM)
the problem is the lack of money spent on the draft

And the fact that for 5 years we were supporting a guy's house-flipping business instead of international signings.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)
Greg Walker's biggest weakness as a hitting coach is his inability to help his young players adjust to the league after the league adjusts to them. Happened with Josh Fields, and now it's happening with Beckham. As for the Beckham pick, I'm fine with it. I wanted Smoak first, Beckham second...and not Wallace or Castro.

Not one young hitter has progressed under Walker.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)
And this is why everyone thinks you're just emotional and ridiculous.

So when are we allowed to critique our drafting? The standard excuse pre-2007 was that we're competitive all the time and we never have a top 10 pick. I bring up the Rays or another team and you all say it's only because they were bad and had top 5-10 picks. We finally get one in '07 and he's sucked for a year and a half. And there's no reason to believe he's going to snap out of it. His batting mechanics suck. He can't hit a fastball. You can't be good in this league and not hit fastballs.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 02:09 PM)
And the fact that for 5 years we were supporting a guy's house-flipping business instead of international signings.

Sox scouting or lack there of was and is a joke aroung MLB.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 01:57 PM)
I think i've finally jumped on board with firing Ozzie.

If konerko is benched for dunn this weekend i may join you. by the way baked cheetos are terrible

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 02:09 PM)

Loyal to a fault. Obviously you need to trust your employees, but for something like that to happen to KW from one of his best friends, it goes to show you how this organization can so easily be blinded by their loyalty and stubborness.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 01:10 PM)
So when are we allowed to critique our drafting? The standard excuse pre-2007 was that we're competitive all the time and we never have a top 10 pick. I bring up the Rays or another team and you all say it's only because they were bad and had top 5-10 picks. We finally get one in '07 and he's sucked for a year and a half. And there's no reason to believe he's going to snap out of it. His batting mechanics suck. He can't hit a fastball. You can't be good in this league and not hit fastballs.

No one ever argues that our drafting has sucked.

It's when you argue that perfectly well-reasoned and intelligently made decisions at the time, that failed to turn out well due to circumstances beyond our control, are signs of incompetence on the part of our front office - that's when people find your stance to be untenable.