White Sox Loser

Greg Hibbard

The first time the Twins rolled over us with Liriano, they were playing like absolute crap.

This has nothing to do with the fact that the Twins were "hot" because we were playing close to as well as we have (this season) for the last 20-30 games, too.

The Twins have been missing Thome, a healthy Morneau, Span, Mauer, Glen Perkins, Nathan and Nishioka. Delmon Young has done his best impersonation of Juan Pierre offensively and defensively after playing like the American League MVP the first four or five months last year. Valencia has spent more time fighting with Cuddyer than hitting the ball. Their catchers are hitting something like .150-.175 since Mauer's been out. I think they've made the most transactions of any MLB team this year, trying to find the right mix in the bullpen. Their AA and AAA teams had the worst record in the minors last year and I think they're close to that distinction this year as well.

The Twins are only 9 games back. I'd bet my money on the Tigers if I was a betting type, but there's NO WAY I would rule out the Twins.

They have enough players still around who remember 2006. They have another Liriano or Duensing or Valencia in the minors somewhere, just lurking.

One adjustment they'll have to make is giving us this idea of Nishioka playing SS. He definitely needs to be at 2B with Casilla (who's been raking during the recent 11-2 run) back at SS. Nishioka's definitely not a 3 hitter and he's hard-pressed to argue he has the arm of Omar Vizquel at age 44.

They undoubtedly made a mistake trading Ramos for Capps last year, but they still have a ton of depth with Slowey and Gibson...not to mention Revere's getting better and better with each week at the big league level, gaining in confidence. Aaron Hicks has a lot of tools, too.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 04:47 PM)
I'll place $10 on the Twin kicking their asses physically as well.

I hate posts like this. Please stop.

I don't like this approach either, and at this point I wouldn't take that bet.

But that doesn't necessarily make it a bad idea. This team needs a cattle prod to the testicles right now, especially WRT to the Twins.

They need a Howard Beale Network moment. Someone, anyone--other than their fans-- needs to scream "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore". If the owner, manager, and GM won't shake things up the players ought to have enough professional pride to do it themselves.

Our "five tool" CF, "40 HR the last five seasons" DH and "can't-miss phenom 2B" are, among too many other position players, virtually 0-for-the-season but trot back to the dugout K after GIDP after pathetic pop out as if they are living up to expectations and performing commensurate with their very real abilities.

How can these guys not be f***ing furious? At their worthless hitting-coach-for-life? At their stunningly stubborn manager. At their GM and owner for not raining hellfire and damnation on the manager and coaches. At themselves?

We've got the pitching. We've got the players. Wheres the passion?

QUOTE (11and1 @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 10:13 PM)
I don't like this approach either, and at this point I wouldn't take that bet.

But that doesn't necessarily make it a bad idea. This team needs a cattle prod to the testicles right now, especially WRT to the Twins.

They need a Howard Beale Network moment. Someone, anyone--other than their fans-- needs to scream "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore". If the owner, manager, and GM won't shake things up the players ought to have enough professional pride to do it themselves.

Our "five tool" CF, "40 HR the last five seasons" DH and "can't-miss phenom 2B" are, among too many other position players, virtually 0-for-the-season but trot back to the dugout K after GIDP after pathetic pop out as if they are living up to expectations and performing commensurate with their very real abilities.

How can these guys not be f***ing furious? At their worthless hitting-coach-for-life? At their stunningly stubborn manager. At their GM and owner for not raining hellfire and damnation on the manager and coaches. At themselves?

We've got the pitching. We've got the players. Wheres the passion?

Amen!

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 03:21 PM)
let me put a finer point on it:

white sox record since '06:

451-430 (.511)

white sox record vs central since '06

195-187 (.510)

Yes, you're right, I certainly fail.

If someone beat me to it, then f*** it, I don't care.

The rest of everybody that the White Sox play - the Yankees, Red Sox, Rays, Rangers, Angels, Athletics for a year, Mariners for a year, Jays here and there, and a few NL teams - are clearly superior all around to the schedule that the White Sox play. The White Sox play just fine against Cleveland, Kansas City, and, aside from the past 12-15 meetings for whatever reason, Detroit.

The Twins bring down f***ing EVERYTHING.

If you take two teams - A and B - and you say team A plays at a .510 clip against the rest of the league, a .530 clip against teams within the division, aside from team B, and a .350 clip against team B, then team B has to do that much less against the rest of the league.

There is a reason the White Sox have only won 2 division titles in Ozzie's tenure as opposed to the 4 they should have won and it's all because they can't beat the f***ing Twins because Ozzie Guillen and the entire organization at this point seems to glorify and idealize the Twins, putting them on a pedestal, leaving themselves feel inferior.

The key to success in anything you ever do in life is confidence. If you don't have confidence in what you are doing, then you are screwed. The White Sox have confidence playing against 28 teams right now, but one of them is not the Twins. It's a travesty that I thought was going to end with Thome's swing in game 163, but it's only gotten worse since that point in time. They obviously aren't a far superior (or even superior, based on their records versus other teams) team, but something is wrong. This is Ozzie's biggest downfall and the one that is going to cost him his job.

I could go on. I don't want to spend the time. I have a some whiskey waiting for me. f*** does it taste good.

And the freakin A's.

It's no longer an automatic death sentence when we go out there to play, but I'm pretty sure we've had five blown saves in ten games against this one, individual team. In the span of just two months.

Some teams don't even go 162 games with that many blown saves from their closer.

I know we finished 6-4 against them, but it really should have been 9-1 or at least 8-2.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 08:50 PM)
8 hits, 10 baserunners, and no runs. That's pretty f***ing impressive.

This team isn't going to win a thing until it can beat every team in the division with some sort of consistency. You can look at the bright side all you want to, but that's pretty much the fact of the matter. They have some mental roadblock when playing the Twins, and they can't beat them.

I don't normally condone it, but I think they need to start a brawl with the Twins and kick the ever loving s*** out of them to prove that they are actually superior and stronger. As of right now, it's all a mentality, and that starts with the manager.

Cmon. Do you really believe this? A brawl?

They'll laugh after getting their own punches in and beat us anyway.

This is baseball. Beat them on the field (which we can't do) or go to the bar and get drunk after the game. The Twins own us. I fully expect us to lose every series to them this year and win 4 games total if we're lucky. At this point, I can't imagine how we're going to beat them even once.