Guys that are becoming legit prospects

Jerksticks

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 09:56 AM)
I remember you saying the same thing about C.J. Retherford... and David Cook.

C.J. busted as soon as became a higher profile prospect. I don't know why he completely lost all of his ability. David never has never been given a proper shot at AAA with the White Sox, Astros or Reds.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 06:53 AM)
I don't know what his BABIP is this year, but that number is gonna be ridiculously (and unsustainably) high.

It's so high I feel like I screwed up the math: .427

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 10:27 AM)
Whether you guys are right about Kuhn or wrong, he should go to the next level now and see if he regresses or coninues to hit. Then, if he does well at AAA, we will continue the discussion.

Exactly. There's no harm in hoping the guy does well at the next level and becomes a Major Leaguer.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 02:24 PM)
Kuhn sounds very Jeremy Reed, with the bat anyway.

Jeremy Reed is the epitomy of a fourth outfielder. It's not really that offensive of a comparison to Tyler Kuhn. Reed played in parts of 8 Major League seasons, with significant playing time in four. That's how a bench player's career goes. Once they get past their prime, someone else can do that job. It's not a long lifespan. Kuhn's advantage is that he can play middle infield. Odds are probably better for him.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)
Jeremy Reed is the epitomy of a fourth outfielder. It's not really that offensive of a comparison to Tyler Kuhn. Reed played in parts of 8 Major League seasons, with significant playing time in four. That's how a bench player's career goes. Once they get past their prime, someone else can do that job. It's not a long lifespan. Kuhn's advantage is that he can play middle infield. Odds are probably better for him.

It wasn't meant to be offensive. Just hearing the numbers, that was the Sox farm hand who jumped into my mind offensively. Not much power, but very high batting average numbers.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 02:45 PM)
It wasn't meant to be offensive. Just hearing the numbers, that was the Sox farm hand who jumped into my mind offensively. Not much power, but very high batting average numbers.

The averages are similar but Reed had much better power, better plate discipline and better speed (stole 45 bases in 2003). And look where that landed him, lol. Baseball's a crazy sport.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 28, 2011 -> 08:13 PM)
The averages are similar but Reed had much better power, better plate discipline and better speed (stole 45 bases in 2003). And look where that landed him, lol. Baseball's a crazy sport.

So did Chris Getz since college.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 30, 2011 -> 07:52 PM)
I'm slowly on the Kuhn to replace Morel bandwagon.... Never happen, but I like things to shake up to get an offense going...

So that way Kuhn can come up and do the exact same thing Morel is doing offensively right now while being worse defensively?

There's no way we replace Morel with Kuhn, any more than the likes of Cook and Gartrell were going to replace Quentin.

Heck, you can add De Aza to the list, too, probably.

Color me skeptical on Kuhn, but I'd just be happy with another Craig Grebeck or Ozuna.

Unfortunately, Lillibridge already does a lot of these same things, so it's pretty rare you have 2 players replicating the same skill sets on the same bench, not with just four players and two of them having to be Teahen and the back-up catcher.

When I hear names like Reed, I also think of Jeff Abbott. Put some pretty outstanding seasons offensively in the minors and never came close to producing at the major league level. Then again, hitting was pretty much his only "plus" skill, and without much power.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 06:35 AM)
There's no way we replace Morel with Kuhn, any more than the likes of Cook and Gartrell were going to replace Quentin.

Heck, you can add De Aza to the list, too, probably.

Color me skeptical on Kuhn, but I'd just be happy with another Craig Grebeck or Ozuna.

Unfortunately, Lillibridge already does a lot of these same things, so it's pretty rare you have 2 players replicating the same skill sets on the same bench, not with just four players and two of them having to be Teahen and the back-up catcher.

When I hear names like Reed, I also think of Jeff Abbott. Put some pretty outstanding seasons offensively in the minors and never came close to producing at the major league level. Then again, hitting was pretty much his only "plus" skill, and without much power.

If we could find a way to get rid of a portion of Teahen's contract, Kuhn calling up to replace him would be a solid move. But alas, no one wants that.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 12:32 AM)
So that way Kuhn can come up and do the exact same thing Morel is doing offensively right now while being worse defensively?

That's so wrong. Morel is better with the glove, but Kuhn is in no way bad. This myth that Kuhn is bad defensively needs to stop.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
Logan...your crazy. Morel is gonna be a nice guy to have at 3rd for a while.

We stuck with Crede for a loooooong time. I think Morel has more rope than most young guys on the team. Hot corner D is so important.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 10:35 AM)
That's so wrong. Morel is better with the glove, but Kuhn is in no way bad. This myth that Kuhn is bad defensively needs to stop.

Then how is it wrong? If Morel is better defensively than Kuhn, isn't Kuhn worse on defense than Morel? I didn't SAY he was bad.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 01:06 PM)
Then how is it wrong? If Morel is better defensively than Kuhn, isn't Kuhn worse on defense than Morel? I didn't SAY he was bad.

I thought that was what you were implying.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 01:43 PM)
I thought that was what you were implying.

Not at all, just that it's entirely possible and probably likely that Kuhn would go through a similar adjustment period and that he is not as good defensively as Morel. There is a drastic difference between the minors and the majors and the grass is not always greener.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 03:34 PM)
Not at all, just that it's entirely possible and probably likely that Kuhn would go through a similar adjustment period and that he is not as good defensively as Morel. There is a drastic difference between the minors and the majors and the grass is not always greener.

Plus Morel also had the AAA adjustment step in there last year too.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 1, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)

The infield dirt is rougher in Birmingham. They go through more balls than any other team.