Enough with the hyperbole

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 11:28 PM)
Upon further consideration, I blame the 11-22 start for this. We're Sox fans, it's unacceptable. We give a s***.

Especially considering we very easily COULD have started off at a 9 - 1 clip. :P

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 05:27 PM)
Look I'm sorry for saying this but it's true, who ever wants to take action then go ahead it only tells me I'm speaking the truth even more and that the truth hurts. I think Only ONE mod should set the rules, I've been here 8 years and I've always seen Jason as the top mod/board founder so that's who sould have the final word, why? Cause we have some mods that are over there heads and they know it, another thing is I've noticed a lot of suck ups here, agreeing with everything any mod says and the thing is a lit of those suckups are the first to start trouble then hide there tail between there legs. I think it's of no regular poster to say and measure what's right and wrong just rile up another poster, that's ganging up in my eyes, ohh I'm in good with a mod I'll rile you up and if you get mad at me, I'll tell my mod friend, ain't happening so stup sucking up to mods, you all know who you are. That's my honest opinion, like it or not. I come here cause I love baseball and love my sox and maybe a lot of this is just because a lot of people have passion for what they love and that's a good thing, it would be a shame to put a limit on passion cause he or her don't like it. I understand there's rules and I'm cool with that, but one thing is rules and one thing is being overboard and on power trips. Again I agree with rules, like fighting of racial slurs and such things, and it's cool for good discussion, but there had to be some fun, with it's limits but some fun, now a lot postersaybe even won't say anything fearful of being banned and that's the real shame, and actually I think 1 or 2 mods are enough.

Sorry if anyone is hurt or offended, didn't mean to be like that just speaking from the heart. Jason feel free to PM me if you don't comfortable with this post

You know what, Im just going to come out and say it here, If you believe that there is a mod/admin that is catering to anyone you just go ahead and name him. If you feel like there is a mod or admin that is over his head, you can name that person too. We work as a team, we discuss everything that happens on this site, as much as people want to believe that there are rogue mods/admins that flex their muscles when people arent looking, that simply is not the case.

This entire discussion went exactly the route I thought it would, towards censorship. This is not censorship. This is asking people to think about what they are adding to the site. If your post is the 1000th post that mentions the same "Juan Pierre/Adam Dunn/Ozzie Guillen/Greg Walker sucks" sentiment, and on top of that is a NEW THREAD, then maybe it isnt needed. If you think that we are asking too much of you to not repeat yourself that many times in that many different threads, then yes, take your act elsewhere.

Naturally this thread turned into "The Soxtalk against J4L", People are acting like we issued J4L a death sentence. J4L is a longtime poster who is a valued member of this site when he feels like it. When he doesnt feel like it, he creates threads like "KW got bent over in the Hudson trade". This is no secret, that thread was garbage and it was created with nothing in mind but to b**** about the Hudson trade. We had an entire superthread about the Hudson trade. Dig it up and start that up again if it is so important to you to b**** about the Hudson trade again. But I have nothing personal against J4L, I actually like him a lot and enjoy reading some of his thoughts, and like everyone else he is extremely frustrated with this team and how they have played for the first three months. But like everyone else, this is not a dumping ground for his extreme hyperbole, not mine or anyone elses.

This isnt a call for no negativity. This isnt a call for NO hyperbole. This is an attempt to get people to clean up the s*** that we all have to see every day. Plenty of posters in this very thread have stated that they want no part of PHT anymore because of it all. Not just J4L's posts. Everyone's posts. You dont have to be all rainbows and unicorns and glitter, this team is not going to inspire many positive thoughts at the moment. Just be constructive in what you say, dont just throw in something like "Juan Pierre needs to just go away and die" when he grounds out, no matter how you mean it.

There is no rulebook on how to post, so stop asking for it. Use your common sense

Ok first of all tone it down, don' t get all agitated. I agree with what you said about the 1000 post over and over I hate it too. And NO I don't have to mention any names, they all know who they are and there actions reflect that. And about taking my act elsewhere... Well I haven't done anything wrong, just called a ball a ball and a strike a strike, for the best interest of the board. And yes I do feel that 90% of posters got it in for Jordan cause questioned Jason, why are they on him? Yes for the simple fact I said in my post. And about going elsewhere I've been here longer than you've been a mod and always followed The rules, even when I had my personal problem and logged on in bad shape, I always followed the rules just make that clear, even think haven't agreed with everybody.

Thanks ;)

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 06:00 PM)
Ok first of all tone it down, don' t get all agitated. I agree with what you said about the 1000 post over and over I hate it too. And NO I don't have to mention any names, they all know who they are and there actions reflect that. And about taking my act elsewhere... Well I haven't done anything wrong, just called a ball a ball and a strike a strike, for the best interest of the board. And yes I do feel that 90% of posters got it in for Jordan cause questioned Jason, why are they on him? Yes for the simple fact I said in my post. And about going elsewhere I've been here longer than you've been a mod and always followed The rules, even when I had my personal problem and logged on in bad shape, I always followed the rules just make that clear, even think haven't agreed with everybody.

Thanks ;)

The only part of my reply directed at you was the first few sentences. There is no sense in saying people "know who they are" and then not wanting to name names. If you have something to say, say it.

The rest of my reply was directed to everyone reading. Im not telling anyone to leave the site. We dont want to ban/suspend people, we MODERATE, we dont police. If you want policing, go to WSI. The people that get booted from this site usually have quite a history behind them, and even then it is not a flippant decision. That being said, if someone really wants to push it, then they can go elsewhere.

Look what bothers me is the way it was said, I understand jason's point and yes it sucks to go through 100 posts of Juan pierre sucks ( even tho it's true) and stupid threads, that I agree with on putting a halt on it. But in the game day thread it's hard to police cause hey it's the game and it's the passion that drives people so it's gonna happen like it or not, now I do agree in stoping that right after the game, some genius starts a thread.. Juan pierre sucks he cannot bunt, or the Alex rios hate group. Again it's way things were said that had a lot of people thinking, myself included what can I post with out being banned. Ohh ANC I know there is no rules on posting and I use common sense, but what if my common sense isn't the same as someone else? Ask yourself that, and again I'll stick to my guns on not mentioning names, were gonna have to agree to disagree, peace

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 07:09 PM)
What's great about the passion of Sox fans is that there is no limit to fan message boards for them.

Yup and you can add this one right on that list ;)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 07:29 AM)
I thought so too.

Look the idea is that it has gotten bad here. When looking at the numbers, Soxtalk's post totals have fallen way off. Looking down the list of people in the top 10/50/100 posters who don't show up anymore is stark. The one thing that is repeated over, and over, and over again by people is that they are sick of the tone here. Its not the arguments, but the way that arguments are made. You couldn't disagree with anything without being shouted down. That has led to a pretty significant migration, to where the biggest group of people left on the board are fairly negative, and seem respond mostly to the negative situations. The reality is that most people want to celebrate and look forward to the positive things about baseball. That is why most people watch it.

Well now we are taking Soxtalk back for that silent majority. The whole idea is that the vast majority of people want to have somewhere to go to talk about their team and enjoy it. Why would you you want to go somewhere that made you feel worse than before you got here? It makes no sense to me. Hell it wouldn't have been so bad if it were even kept into a thread or two, but instead of just being game threads, like it started out years ago, it spilled into the other threads. The crap just spread like a virus throughout the whole board. Even the topics that have nothing to do with the Sox are filled with ridiculous statements of no substance or intelligence. Pick up the game here Soxtalk. You can be upset with the team, and still make intelligent posts. I have seen the names of people who do it a lot.

I know the want now is for "specific examples" so that it can be pushed right up to the ledge, and then answered with "well I didn't do exactly that". This is going to be vague, because you can't project exactly what hyperbole isn't an exact science. If that is too vague, well sorry. Any changes in people's posting status's will come from a long discussion amongst mods and admins here. Believe me when I say it will be a process. It isn't going to be Jason, or anyone else, just banning people. Pretty much all of the staff hates doing, but we hate being put in a position to take action on someone even more.

And to go onto this. It might be stupid and real simple, but really the whole premise behind this is pretty simple and Mike summed it up greatly above. And if you have to ask for 15 examples so you know exactly how to toe the line, well, quite frankly, clearly your goal is shock value (and I'm not implying that is the case with everyone, but certainly the perception would be that is the case).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 09:10 AM)
Do you really need an extensive, detailed, book report on why JP sucks? I've done my Kalapse impression and thrown numbers out there. And other times I have fun with it. I don't see the big issue here. You guys keep saying I'm missing the point? The board owner was the one that created this thread. How else is somebody like myself supposed to view this? Maybe muzzle or gag were too strong a terms. How about greatly alter? And this what Milk is talking about. I can tell by the tone of your post that you're like really getting mad. "Do what we say or go to the ESPN board." I never said the inmates should run the asylum.

View it as the site isn't going to sit around and let you breach and yell and make hyperbolic comments that take down the overall quality of the board. This isn't what this place is for. If you want to handle things in a respectable manner and debate facts and do it without being completely obnoxious than fine. And if you think you have to worry about every post you make, well, quite frankly, your posting style won't work here.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 09:17 AM)
Most of the baseball world has done the extensive book report. Nearly any smart site, from Yahoo! to Rotoworld to fangraphs, etc, has written how idiotic it is that Juan Pierre not only continues to start, but also continues to lead off for this roster. The only person who doesn't get it is our manager.

Hence J4L and anyone else's frustration with Pierre and this team. If you aren't frustrated, you aren't paying attention!

But do we need 1000 threads on it and complete and continuous reiteration of that?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 06:55 PM)
View it as the site isn't going to sit around and let you breach and yell and make hyperbolic comments that take down the overall quality of the board. This isn't what this place is for. If you want to handle things in a respectable manner and debate facts and do it without being completely obnoxious than fine. And if you think you have to worry about every post you make, well, quite frankly, your posting style won't work here.

Hey, if I get banned for being too hyperbolic, then yes, this is not the place for me. But I'm not getting into that. I see where you're coming from. But your initial post was to be construed as, "Hey, I'm the boss. If you don't like it, get the f*** out of here." That's how I and many others took it. And I know for a fact many that of the current posters here have been banned from WSI for this same reasoning. That's why it's come up. Now I'm going to try to express my contempt for a player such as Juan Pierre without crossing this new threshold. If I cross the line, then so be it.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 08:06 PM)
Hey, if I get banned for being too hyperbolic, then yes, this is not the place for me. But I'm not getting into that. I see where you're coming from. But your initial post was to be construed as, "Hey, I'm the boss. If you don't like it, get the f*** out of here." That's how I and many others took it. And I know for a fact many that of the current posters here have been banned from WSI for this same reasoning. That's why it's come up. Now I'm going to try to express my contempt for a player such as Juan Pierre without crossing this new threshold. If I cross the line, then so be it.

Sorry jason, but that's the way I saw it too. Maybe you didn't mean it like that, you meant for it to be the best for you're board and that's cool, but at the moment a lot of posters took it the wrong way. Sorry buddy just saying what I feel:cheers

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 11:12 AM)
I'm quite a few pages back, and perhaps it has since been answered, but this portion of NSS's post is golden.

If Jason and company are going to establish new rules concerning posting there should be clear guidelines detailing what's acceptable and what isn't. More than "hyperbole" or outlandish negativity.

Additionally, who exactly is enforcing these rules, just Jason; or all mods? Will each post that is questionable be put up for review?

Also, I'm trying to wrap my mind around this concept -- so there's a collection of 'quality' posters out in the nether regions of the internet lurking, and oh boy do they have some valuable insight to provide for fellow Soxtalk members. Yet, when these member log on all they notice is the negativity; and that just makes them sad. They don't appreciate such injustices. So in a silent protest (well, not really, because they made sure to tell the mods/admins of their intentions so everyone will miss them) they leave and now the world will never know what knowledge could have been shared with Soxtalk.

Am I the only person who finds it ridiculous someone is allowing another person indirectly to influence whether or not they post here?

It isn't just good posters who don't post here. It is good posters who don't post as much. It is the owner of the site who doesn't like what he sees. It is admins and mods not liking what they see. It is so much bigger than that and for those that want to get there panties tied up in a wad over this whole thing, well, than you probably are the problem.

Again flash...I'm being general when talking here cause I think you are an asset to the site and while I know you always get worried in areas like this, this mod/admin team and this board has always done a great job catering to the masses and the people. And we have all different sorts of flavors as mods (which is very evident in our boardroom discussions).

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)
I'll miss your honest posts, but if people here are going to constantly beg you to leave, then leave. Another board will benefit from your knowledge.

J4L has a lot of knowledge. Unfortunately the past 6+ months worth of posts have exhibited very little knowledge. And instead are more about him making ignorant comments while plastered in various threads.

Sorry, Soxtalk has turned into a place filled with sports radio callers and we are better than that.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 08:16 PM)
As much of a problem as the hyperbole has been posters who have baiting, trying to start topics down the road to trashiness.

That is true, and if you look at my history I always hated that and stupid polls the use to start for everything

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 12:41 PM)
This entire organization is an unmitigated f***ing DISASTER. We are looking at YEARS of futility and mediocrity and if you think otherwise you're wiping kool-aid off your chin. This season was over the day they stepped off the plane in Cleveland.

I lol'd at this example, it looks soooo much like a PHT post. Thank you sir.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 11:28 PM)
Upon further consideration, I blame the 11-22 start for this. We're Sox fans, it's unacceptable. We give a s***.

QUOTE (MAX @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 05:00 AM)
Greg is one of my favorite posters.

1.) I agree. That horrific start really turned a lot of us into maniacs. Also the "All In" campaign.

2.) thanks, sir.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 24, 2011 -> 07:06 PM)

Just don't be an obnoxious, annoying douche when stating your opinions. It REALLY is that simple.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 03:15 AM)
Just don't be an obnoxious, annoying douche when stating your opinions. It REALLY is that simple.

I would hope that the people slinging insults like this in the thread about strengthening the rules are being at least warned.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Jun 25, 2011 -> 02:30 AM)
Frankly I find this ridiculous. So basically we're becoming WSI?

Have you read any of this thread?

For all the talk about WSI, which I have maybe visited twice in my life because it blows, this site has clearly taken on a different character in the last 12-18 months. In my opinion, the quality has decreased.

What seems to be being said is that this is a product offered by Jason, with rules or guidelines for behavior maintained by the moderating staff, and that despite some posters' insistence that this be some sort of receptacle for everyone's frustrations, the quality has decreased to the point at which the product is no longer being consumed at what is deemed an acceptable rate by Jason and/or the moderating staff.

It appears to be fairly simple. Pick up the quality, use common sense, post intelligently, and emotionally, but not recklessly or deliberately ignorant. If that is too difficult a line or level to ascertain, than this is probably not the White Sox message board for you.