Colby Rasmus Trade Rumor

OilCan

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 03:07 PM)
But wouldn't you want to see what the market would bear for them individually?

Rasmus has talent. I just wonder about the attitude. There's something there the Cardinals despise. I'm sure the White Sox aren't going to like it eventually either. If he puts it together, the deal is a steal. If not, you're out 2 months of Jackson and a few years of paying a 35 year old plus Matt Thornton a lot of money. I would make this trade as long as I was satisfied Rasmus isn't going to become a problem in a few weeks.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 04:08 PM)
You mean like the Giants were last year?

This team hasn't pitched anywhere near the level of the Giants. The Giants had a crappy season from Linecum last year and still threw up the best ERA in the league.

The Sox getting Rasmus would make moving Quentin more likely. If reports were true that the sox have been scouting the Red sox major league team for a deal involving Quentin, a deal for the Red Sox Josh Reddick and SP Kyle Weiland makes sense. Reddick likely will come down to earth this year. Yet should be set for 2012. Weiland could take over for Jackson in the rotation.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 03:12 PM)
It is too much of a sign that Thornton did not pitch today?

EJ pitched today and Rasmus started for 1st time in 6 days an no Thornton today makes you say hmmmmmmmmmm.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 09:11 PM)
Sure. I'm just giving my opinion on this particular rumor. I don't even think it's legit to be honest. I've never been an Edwin Jackson fan. And Matt's stock has dropped some this year. And he's making upwards of $6 million starting next year. That's a lot for a guy that crapped his pants when he was asked to close.

But in the NL, Thornton could be gold. Hell, I could be gold in the NL.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 03:11 PM)
This team hasn't pitched anywhere near the level of the Giants. The Giants had a crappy season from Linecum last year and still threw up the best ERA in the league.

If Sox get Rasmus I'd say CQ is gone in a 2nd deal.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 03:11 PM)
Rasmus has talent. I just wonder about the attitude. There's something there the Cardinals despise. I'm sure the White Sox aren't going to like it eventually either. If he puts it together, the deal is a steal. If not, you're out 2 months of Jackson and a few years of paying a 35 year old plus Matt Thornton a lot of money. I would make this trade as long as I was satisfied Rasmus isn't going to become a problem in a few weeks.

I can understand that point of view...but I am not looking at Jackson as "a guy we're going to lose in two months." I'm looking at Jackson as a sub-4 ERA SP in a market where there really are no others.

And I am looking at Matt as a lefthanded elite bp arm who throws 96 mph. How many of those might be on the market?

That's all I'm saying...

If we were to trade both for a guy like Rasmus, I would understand...but I just think we could maximize our return by trading them separately.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 01:42 PM)
i dont see us winning the division with this offense.

but this trade isnt happening anyways

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 01:57 PM)
Which is the whole reason they are looking to deal him (if the rumors are true.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 02:02 PM)
except that they arent true

/thread. I believe docsox24.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 03:36 PM)
Could the Cards be sold on adding Teahen to the deal? He might thrive under La Russa and in that offense. They really don't have an everyday third basemen.

It would probably be Morel instead, but that would leave us without a 3B. Though Morel hasn't been hot stuff.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 03:46 PM)
Jackson and Teahen to the Cards for Rasmus, Quentin and Pierre to Atlanta for Beachy and someone else?

Quentin isnt pulling much value on the market right now

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 11:21 AM)
If we trade what I believe to be our best pure hitter since Frank Thomas and a guy who's only getting better (and I am notoriously cynical of prospects) for a guy with a .258 career batting average, I'm gonna quit. Well, no...I could never quit on this team. I'll probably just cry like a b****.

But seriously, this is so stupid. No deal for Rasmus should include anything more than Thornton. If Viciedo goes, we're the stupidest team in baseball.

I strongly disagree. Rasmus is more valuable, easily, and it gives KW the opportunity to justify keeping CQ, which is really nice considering we need to move him NOW if we don't want to pay him through arbitration. Moving Jackson+Viciedo for Rasmus allows us to still compete this year and set ourselves up well for next year (Rasmus/Rios/Quentin)

I do agree that throwing Thornton in is too much.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 05:37 PM)
I strongly disagree. Rasmus is more valuable, easily, and it gives KW the opportunity to justify keeping CQ, which is really nice considering we need to move him NOW if we don't want to pay him through arbitration. Moving Jackson+Viciedo for Rasmus allows us to still compete this year and set ourselves up well for next year (Rasmus/Rios/Quentin)

I do agree that throwing Thornton in is too much.

Huh? That would be terrible and the final nail in Kenny's coffin.