113 members have voted

1. 1. Well, What are you?

• In
    • Out

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 03:20 AM)
We probably have to face Chen and/or Duffy, right?

God help us if Ozzie doesn't play Lillibridge and expects Dunn to hit a lefty for the fourth time all season.

Chen has been crap since devouring the Sox two games in a row.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 08:33 AM)
The Sox have to go 8-2 the next ten. Win tonight, and come home and go 7-2 like a championship team does at home.

If the Sox do that, then they've earned their way back into the race.

If the Sox go 8-2 over the next time and go 7-2 at home they will likely be in first place. :lolhitting Gotta love the AL Central.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 10, 2011 -> 07:20 PM)
God help us if Ozzie doesn't play Lillibridge and expects Dunn to hit a lefty for the fourth time all season.

Enough is enough. He's not coming around. You can't play him and say you're seriously doing everything you can to win this season. It's insulting at this point.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 08:51 AM)
Enough is enough. He's not coming around. You can't play him and say you're seriously doing everything you can to win this season. It's insulting at this point.

I was insulted before Flag Day.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 08:33 AM)
The Sox have to go 8-2 the next ten. Win tonight, and come home and go 7-2 like a championship team does at home.

If the Sox do that, then they've earned their way back into the race.

They are currently in the race. 4 games is nothing. If they go 6-4 and Cleveland and Detroit both go 5-5 in their next ten, the Sox are still in the race and only three games out, and it's a totally believable result given the track record of all three teams. Cleveland and Detroit split their 4 games, Sox win 2/3 against Cle, Cle wins 2/3 against Min. Det splits the Min and @Bal series 3-3. Sox win today, win 2/3 vs KC and lose 2/3 vs. Tex. 6-4 for the Sox, 5-5 for Det and Cle. Sox still in the race.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 01:00 PM)
They are currently in the race. 4 games is nothing. If they go 6-4 and Cleveland and Detroit both go 5-5 in their next ten, the Sox are still in the race and only three games out, and it's a totally believable result given the track record of all three teams. Cleveland and Detroit split their 4 games, Sox win 2/3 against Cle, Cle wins 2/3 against Min. Det splits the Min and @Bal series 3-3. Sox win today, win 2/3 vs KC and lose 2/3 vs. Tex. 6-4 for the Sox, 5-5 for Det and Cle. Sox still in the race.

Yeah, the games back column says one thing, but I don't think you're in it unless you're over .500.

Until they get there, it really means nothing.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 01:14 PM)
Yeah, the games back column says one thing, but I don't think you're in it unless you're over .500.

Until they get there, it really means nothing.

The Sox will finish this season over .500; I don't really understand why people don't believe this.

Yes, they have seemingly stumbled recently.

They were over .500 for the month of May,

over .500 for the month of June,

at exactly .500 for the month of July,

and are at exactly .500 in the month of August.

They are over .500 in the second half, even with a 6 game home losing streak.

They will be over .500 by the end of August. That will take care of itself.

GB is everything. Sorry to disagree with you.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 05:41 PM)
Irrelevant. Liriano was about to be DL'ed/benched when he no-hit us.

I know. I was just meaning to point out that Chen is a hack who like most pitchers this season has rejuvenated his season by facing our bad lineup.

I fully expect him to mow us down again.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 07:29 PM)
The Sox will finish this season over .500; I don't really understand why people don't believe this.

Yes, they have seemingly stumbled recently.

They were over .500 for the month of May,

over .500 for the month of June,

at exactly .500 for the month of July,

and are at exactly .500 in the month of August.

They are over .500 in the second half, even with a 6 game home losing streak.

They will be over .500 by the end of August. That will take care of itself.

GB is everything. Sorry to disagree with you.

Maybe because they've had plenty of time to get over .500 and upon creeping right there, they faceplant again.

Wake me when they get over .500.

Let's talk about how much "over .500" would have meant to the 1994 american league western division champion if the strike had not happened.

1st place was 52-62 on August 11th.

Twice in the past ten years one of the NL divisions has had a barely over .500 team win a division.

In the NFL, the NFC West from last season comes to mind as well.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 03:02 PM)
Since 1996 the ALC division winners have averaged 92 wins. The ALC division winner has never had less than 86 wins.

I would be willing to bet the ALC winner will not have 86 or more wins this season.

Also, the AL aggregate records of the past ten years are somewhat informed by AL dominance in interleague play. The AL-NL record this season was 131-121, which is far more even than it has been in previous seasons.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 11, 2011 -> 03:38 PM)
I would be willing to bet the ALC winner will not have 86 or more wins this season.

Also, the AL aggregate records of the past ten years are somewhat informed by AL dominance in interleague play. The AL-NL record this season was 131-121, which is far more even than it has been in previous seasons.

Tigers have to go 25-21 to finish 86-76.

I think they'll get there. That guy starting tonight will have a lot of say in what their final record will be.

The Tigers have 13 games left against teams with a winning record.

The Sox have 25 games against teams with a winning record.

If Detroit plays .500 ball, they'll win 85 games.

For the Sox to get to 85 wins, they will need to play .600 ball the rest of the way. That is asking an awful lot for a team with a losing record 117 games in.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Aug 12, 2011 -> 04:17 AM)
The Tigers have 13 games left against teams with a winning record.

The Sox have 25 games against teams with a winning record.

If Detroit plays .500 ball, they'll win 85 games.

For the Sox to get to 85 wins, they will need to play .600 ball the rest of the way. That is asking an awful lot for a team with a losing record 117 games in.

Let's face it the best we can hope is to win four of our final six vs. Detroit. That's if we play well.

All the people who kept saying how early it was all season ... it's now late. It's time to win, win win. We gave away so many games early that figure to again come back and haunt the Sox.

Sox are four back in the loss column entering a series vs. s***ty KC. You'd think that's a recipe for greatness, but we know the drill against KC.

The Sox record in one run games, the Sox record in extra innings (5-10), and being well below .500 at home.

Those are three categories you always look at (besides team ERA/WHIP and quality starts) for playoff-caliber teams.

Those three things alone have told White Sox fans to be and remain skeptical.

To get to the playoffs in the face of all those negatives working against them would be one of the biggest statistical anomalies or outliers in the history of the game.

Not hyperbole.

• 3 weeks later...

Still in. Great weekend in Seattle, was there and had a blast. Got busted by AJ when I was bird-dogging his wife while walking around Pikes market (she wears a sundress very well). My wife also busted me (still worth it). Viciedo is exciting and there's a month left so what the hell, I'm choosing optimism.

:snr