Jackson & Teahen to TOR for Frasor & Stewart (RHP)

macsandz

QUOTE (RudyLawRules @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:34 PM)
Draft notes on Stewart:

Draft notes on Stewart:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/ev....jsp?mc=stewart

Focus Area

Comments

Fastball: Stewart showed plus, plus velocity, throwing his fastball in the 95-97 mph range.

Fastball movement: It had plus life as well.

Slider: He showed a slider that was average-to-plus and threw it with good deception.

Control: He had plus command, particularly of his fastball.

Poise: He has a closer mentality, very aggressive and going right after hitters.

Physical Description: Stewart isn't all that big, but he's strong-bodied and his stuff plays big as does his bulldog mentality.

Medical Update: Healthy.

Strengths: Two plus power pitches and command of both of them. He has the right demeanor to be a closer.

Weaknesses: Having played at three colleges in three years, there's no real track record.

Summary: College closers have become all the rage lately, with some getting drafted early every year. Stewart could be in that group in 2008. The Texas Tech reliever relies on a plus fastball and slider and commands both power offerings well. He's got the kind of makeup you want in a short reliever, a guy who is very aggressive and goes right after hitters. The stuff plus the mentality could push Stewart into early-round consideration.

The draft notes are pretty out of date since he's been moved to being a starter.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 01:16 PM)
LOL so basicly we get frasor for teabag and Jackson when we could have had Rasmus? Ohhh Kenny LOL! Wonder what the moron says now. Frasor ain't bad but Kenny went with the first trade, we could have held Jackson a lil longer and teams would have gotten desperate and gotten more.... Ohh the life of a sox fan....

This move likely came from upstairs. The powers-that-be are obviously more interested in shedding payroll than competing in the foreseeable future.

I imagine that a lot more guys are going to be dealt over the next 12 months.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 03:42 PM)
This move likely came from upstairs. The powers-that-be are obviously more interested in shedding payroll than competing in the foreseeable future.

a lot more guys better be dealt in the next 2 days

If this is the only bulls*** move we get, f*** these guys

As others have speculated i think that the Sox passed on Rasmus,

Thats why last night this trade made no sense for the Blue Jays, but now that its all finalized it seems that the Sox could have had Rasmus, but didnt want him. They then probably went to other teams trying to get a third party whod take Rasmus.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 01:33 PM)
What do you mean? That's what basicly happend

The equivalent of what Toronto gave up from us would have looked something like this:

Jackson + Sale + Thornton + Pierre

The Jays sent over a young LHP with a 2.97 ERA / 1.09 WHIP this year... a veteran RHP with a 3.68 ERA / 1.09 WHIP this year... a starting veteran Center Fielder that is about equivalent to Juan Pierre... and Jackson.

To start, we don't really match up there because we don't have anything that is equivalent to Dotel.

Second, if we did that trade - our bullpen would be gutted.

It was much more than just Jackson.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 01:46 PM)
As others have speculated i think that the Sox passed on Rasmus,

Thats why last night this trade made no sense for the Blue Jays, but now that its all finalized it seems that the Sox could have had Rasmus, but didnt want him. They then probably went to other teams trying to get a third party whod take Rasmus.

That makes sense to me. But trading Edwin Jackson for WAY less than he's worth on the market doesn't.

The only aspect of this trade that makes any sense for the Sox is that it allowed them to bundle Teahen into the deal and maximize the amount of salary that they were able to dump. And if that's their mentality right now, the next two seasons are going to be painful to watch.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:49 PM)
That makes sense to me. But trading Edwin Jackson for WAY less than he's worth on the market doesn't.

The only aspect of this trade that makes any sense for the Sox is that it allowed them to bundle Teahen into the deal and maximize the amount of salary that they were able to dump. And if that's their mentality right now, the next two seasons are going to be painful to watch.

I'd actually say that the Sox got more value out of Jackson than I thought he was worth.

I dont think the Sox traded Jackson for way less than hes worth.

They got 3 things of value:

A) Starting pitching prospect. Not an elite cant miss, but seemingly a serviceable player who can either be a 5 or a mr. He will be under team control for years and cheap.

B) Getting rid of Teahen. That is payroll flexibility.

C) Getting a rh MR which they wanted to compete this year.

The problem is that b/c seemingly dont make sense. Either you are throwing in the towel or you are going for it. The Sox are trying to do both. Which (imo) generally does not end well. But in terms of value, Im not sure Jackson really could fetch more because hes a 2 month rental. The only way would have been to get a Boston/Yankee bidding war, because both of those teams could resign Jackson and potentially overpay.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 03:56 PM)
#3 coming into this year, #44 overall in baseball.

Only on Keith Law's list. Didn't make Baseball America's or Baseball Prospectus's top 100. Opinions on Stewart are very wide ranging.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 03:42 PM)

More like the next four days