Jackson & Teahen to TOR for Frasor & Stewart (RHP)

macsandz

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:05 PM)
Thats not true, here is baseball america's ranking from the end of last year:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...11/2610895.html

5. Zach Stewart, rhp

Best Fastball Zach Stewart

TOP PROSPECTS

OF THE DECADE

2010 Zach Stewart, rhp Blue Ja

That isn't Baseball America's top 100.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:08 PM)
Never said that he appeared in ba's top 100, just your post made it appear that BA hadnt rated him at all, when they clearly have put him in the top 10 of the Jays system.

You should reread my post. I said he didn't make BA's nor BP's top 100.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 01:53 PM)
I dont think the Sox traded Jackson for way less than hes worth.

Meh, I don't know about that. A quality starting pitcher is worth a lot more than an aging middle reliever and a wildcard pitching prospect in my book.

They got 3 things of value:

A) Starting pitching prospect. Not an elite cant miss, but seemingly a serviceable player who can either be a 5 or a mr. He will be under team control for years and cheap.

B) Getting rid of Teahen. That is payroll flexibility.

C) Getting a rh MR which they wanted to compete this year.

Agreed that © has value, but I would've rather just used Humber in that role. Getting rid of Jackson means that the Sox are relying heavily on Peavy to (1) stay healthy for the remainder of the season and (2) be semi-consistently effective. I have little confidence in his ability to do either.

The problem is that b/c seemingly dont make sense. Either you are throwing in the towel or you are going for it. The Sox are trying to do both. Which (imo) generally does not end well. But in terms of value, Im not sure Jackson really could fetch more because hes a 2 month rental. The only way would have been to get a Boston/Yankee bidding war, because both of those teams could resign Jackson and potentially overpay.

I think that the Sox are throwing in the towel and are trying to disguise their actions. Even if the Sox have supreme confidence in Peavy/Humber, you don't trade Jackson for anything less than an impact player if you're trying to compete down the stretch. I can understand why the Sox wouldn't want Rasmus, but I'd take two months of him over two months of Pierre any day. If Rasmus had a bad attitude in Chicago, Kenny could've dealt him this winter.

I did read your post and the implication was that he wasnt anywhere in BA, because you were responding to a post that said he was in some top 10s for the Blue Jays. Hes in the top 10 for BA, so I wanted to clarify.

I never said he was top 100, and as a 24 y/o it makes sense as the top 100 is generally skewed towards youth.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:07 PM)
Thank you sir.

And I wonder what Colby will do not getting to face the Astros, Cubs, Brewers and Pirates pitching day after day as opposed to the Red Sox, Rays, Yanks and O's.

away from that pig headed larussa?

become a star

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 10:25 PM)
I have a feeling the Sox will actually play well in those. It's just how this team functions.

As long as the pitching stays good we will be in more close games.

Why can't we hit the long ball on a consistent basis?

My internet at work picked the wrong day to go out. I'm trying to go through the 1000+ posts, and its making my head spin.

It looks just like a salary dump that still gives the Sox a chance to make a run this & next year. It's not like they could trade Rios or Peavy.

This deal is not that bad, it's the Hudson/EJax & Teahen moves that were bad, as well as the Rios move & Dunn sucking. Now the team is expensive as hell, but underperforming, so the fans aren't coming out, and some salary had to be dumped. It is what it is. I did want Rasmus, but I don't think the Sox could have pulled it off, the Blue Jays are offering more players or cash to the deal in the future too.

A Cardinals friend told me "I don't give a s*** if Edwin Jackson is on the mound when the Cards win the WS, I still hate the deal"

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:41 PM)
As long as the pitching stays good we will be in more close games.

Why can't we hit the long ball on a consistent basis?

That's the question we have been trying to answer all year! Dunn had been Mr. Consistent with the long ball for like 10 years.

was working all day, so haven't been able to post. i was mad at first, but that was before I really knew anythign about stewart.

The fact that stewart is a semi-decent prospect changes this for me and at least makes it tolerable. We were lucky to get anybody to take teahen, and getting a decent prospect + a solid reliever is about what I thought we would get for Jackson who we only controlled for another 2 mos

Rasmus would have been nice, but it didnt look like that was going to work out.

It is what it is, and KW has taken some big swings and misses lately, and theres not a whole lot we can do about it now. The guy has really been awful in the last 3-4 years. Both Swisher trades were bad, neither vazquez trade was good, now both jackson deals have been subpar. Add into that the horrendous Rios claim, the bad peavy deal, and the questionable dunn signing at best.....I wouldn't mind seeing a regime change here

Edited by daa84

Scoutingbook.com.......on Stewart.

Zach Stewart

Born 9/28/1986 (24 years old)

RHP, TOR

Already blessed with the best fastball in the Blue Jays system, ex-Red Zach Stewart is a compact righthander who's being fast-tracked to future closing duties in Toronto. That is, it looks an awful lot like that's how the Blue Jays want him to arrive. Should they change their minds, Stewart's high heat and nasty, nasty slider could also do some damage in a starting role.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 06:02 PM)
Scoutingbook.com.......on Stewart.

Zach Stewart

Born 9/28/1986 (24 years old)

RHP, TOR

Already blessed with the best fastball in the Blue Jays system, ex-Red Zach Stewart is a compact righthander who's being fast-tracked to future closing duties in Toronto. That is, it looks an awful lot like that's how the Blue Jays want him to arrive. Should they change their minds, Stewart's high heat and nasty, nasty slider could also do some damage in a starting role.

There's a lot more already in his AAP page.

Sounds to me like the worse case scenario is a year from now we have two, young, cost controlled power armed righties (Stewart & Reed) setting up our young, cost controlled, power closer (Santos).

I still think if the Sox fall out of this, they can always spin Frasor for a good prospect.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 06:08 PM)
Sounds to me like the worse case scenario is a year from now we have two, young, cost controlled power armed righties (Stewart & Reed) setting up our young, cost controlled, power closer (Santos).

I still think if the Sox fall out of this, they can always spin Frasor for a good prospect.

I'd be surprised but not astonished if Stewart was back in the bullpen next year.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 05:08 PM)

Yeah, Stewart and Reed is pretty awesome coming up. I have a feeling the Sox will try to keep Stewart as a starter though. Stewart is easily in our top 5 prospects. Probably top 3 if you go Viciedo, Reed/Stewart.

As for spinning Frasor...the Sox only have a couple games left before the deadline. It's going to be tough to fall out of it that quickly.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 03:12 PM)
Yeah, Stewart and Reed is pretty awesome coming up. I have a feeling the Sox will try to keep Stewart as a starter though. Stewart is easily in our top 5 prospects. Probably top 3 if you go Viciedo, Reed/Stewart.

As for spinning Frasor...the Sox only have a couple games left before the deadline. It's going to be tough to fall out of it that quickly.

And than at that point, can't they pretty much get type B compensation for him and/or excerise the option and use him for another year at a pretty fair price.

The reality is to me the club is clearly looking at potentially moving some of its relievers and at the trade deadline, relievers always seem to have very steap prices. Heck, given how crappy the central is, I think if the right offers are out there to retool, you do it, knowing that in this crappy division, the club should still contend.

I also highly doubt the club is going to move any of its other starters (e.g., Danks). So that means you possibly spin Quentin, Thorty, Ohman, and maybe Frasor. That should give you some solid parts while also opening up spots for Reed/Stewart/Santiago/etc. The hard part truly is replacing Quentin's production.

Williams on Stewart regarding his performance this year in AA and his future with the Sox:

"He's had a couple of trips up, and we've been able to identify exactly what we think he needs to do to realize the talent that he is."

"Zack Stewart has been on our radar for a long time, particularly last year, when he was doing some special things in Double-A," said Williams of Stewart, who was ranked by MLB.com as the Blue Jays' fourth-best prospect. "He's shown us he has four average pitches and a power changeup to go with the 90-94 mph fastball with sink and fade on it as well."