Jackson & Teahen to TOR for Frasor & Stewart (RHP)

macsandz

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 09:42 PM)
I apologize if this has already been asked, but what do you think it would've taken for the Sox to have acquired Rasmus.

Jackson + ? + ? + ?

people in the know posted in this thread that Sox FO didnt want him

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Game summary of Stewart's major league debut on June 16th.

And here's some info from an article about him being called up (to replace Kyle Drabek who was struggling at the time)...

Last season, the six-foot-two Stewart was 8-3 with a 3.63 ERA (eighth in the Eastern League) in 26 starts with New Hampshire, forming a nice 1-2 punch with Drabek. Stewart's fastball-slider combination had many thinking he would develop into a major league closer, but an improved change-up appears to have changed the thinking of Jays management.

"Zach was very close to a call-up last year and he's done everything we've asked him to do," Anthopoulos said. "He hasn't been up here before and his last three starts with New Hampshire he's pitched well. "Just being down there and speaking to the staff there they feel he deserves an opportunity. It's really a good time to give him a shot, to give him a look and see how he does."

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/story/20...l#ixzz1TMjEowno

Edited by scenario

So when looking at this trade by what the 3 teams collected in the trade:

Blue Jays: OF Colby Rasmus, RP Trever Miller, RP Brian Tallet, RP P.J. Walters, 3B Mark Teahen

Cardinals: SP Edwin Jackson, RP Marc Rzepczynski, RP Octavio Dotel, OF Corey Patterson

White Sox: P Zack Stewart, RP Jason Frasor

How would you rank the 3 teams with what they got?

1. Blue Jays

2. Sox

3. Cards

I just needed to see it all out in front of me of how terrible this was for the cards, ranking this is probably pretty easy. And I know everyone hates him, but I think Teahen works well for Toronto seeing as Bautista said he prefers OF and the Jays can put a guy paid like a mlb player at 3rd.

Teahen, while paid like a major league player, simply isn't one.

At least not recently.

If you play him everyday, you're going to get something like a 700-725 OPS (it has been a lot worse with sporadic playing time in Chicago)...but any "plus" his offense might give you is more than undercut by his atrocious defense. And he's never going to hit well enough to justify a corner spot in the outfield or DH.

The Blue Jays have used Encarnacion over there for a while, and both Teahen and EE are the bottom of the barrel among starting MLB 3B.

If you platoon him or play him more selectively, he could be a somewhat productive player but he's definitely not the player a rebuilding franchise sticks at the position for the next 3-5 years and then looks at other positional weaknesses to cross off the list.

Wherever you put Teahen (3B/1B/DH/LF/RF), you're creating a problem rather than solving one.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 10:42 PM)
Teahen, while paid like a major league player, simply isn't one.

At least not recently.

If you play him everyday, you're going to get something like a 700-725 OPS (it has been a lot worse with sporadic playing time in Chicago)...but any "plus" his offense might give you is more than undercut by his atrocious defense. And he's never going to hit well enough to justify a corner spot in the outfield or DH.

The Blue Jays have used Encarnacion over there for a while, and both Teahen and EE are the bottom of the barrel among starting MLB 3B.

If you platoon him or play him more selectively, he could be a somewhat productive player but he's definitely not the player a rebuilding franchise sticks at the position for the next 3-5 years and then looks at other positional weaknesses to cross off the list.

Wherever you put Teahen (3B/1B/DH/LF/RF), you're creating a problem rather than solving one.

I never understood why Kenny wanted him. When an organization known for losing is willing to trade a player, there something wrong. The reason why they lose is they are bad at assessing talent or have poor minor league instruction.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:25 AM)

The condensed game really funny to watch since all you hear is the ball hitting the mitt or the bat.

I think he looks good on the mound and I hope we see him this season and he pitches well, he'll have to find a new number though.

Well said, Omar:

“This time of year is always crazy,’’ Vizquel said. “This trade doesn’t surprise me because they’re trying to make things happen. I’m surprised there weren’t any changes before this, just to shake things around. It seems like we still don’t know who we are.’’

QUOTE (The '05 Sound @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:32 AM)
The condensed game really funny to watch since all you hear is the ball hitting the mitt or the bat.

I think he looks good on the mound and I hope we see him this season and he pitches well, he'll have to find a new number though.

At first I thought "What a weird number."

Then I was like "No, not weird."

One thing I can say about this kid thus far is I like his approach on the mound.

He's out there - just getting the ball - and throwing.

In the 3rd here, he's got runners on second and third with two out.

Gets ahead quickly 1-2 and then gets a grounder to second.

Nice.

Wonder if he's a Mark B. fan or if the #56 was just by chance.

Isn't he from the Chicago Land?

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:41 AM)
One thing I can say about this kid thus far is I like his approach on the mound.

He's out there - just getting the ball - and throwing.

In the 3rd here, he's got runners on second and third with two out.

Gets ahead quickly 1-2 and then gets a grounder to second.

Nice.

Nah, Texas.

But he works like Buehrle, with good movement on his pitches.

I'm excited to see him in September.

Looks like his fastball has pretty good movement when he's throwing it dialed down to 90-92 MPH.

Stewart pitched around some pretty shoddy defense. LOL at Bautista's deke to fool Mark Reynolds into thinking he wasn't going to catch a pop-up and then doubling him off first with the strong throw from RF.

Noticed he wasn't throwing all fastballs...mixed in a nice assortment of offspeed stuff, enough to keep the hitters honest.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:41 AM)

Hes from Texas, the reliever we got in the deal, Jason Frasor, is from the Oak Forest, IL area

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 01:46 AM)
LOL at Bautista's deke to fool Mark Reynolds into thinking he wasn't going to catch a pop-up and then doubling him off first with the strong throw from RF.

I enjoyed that too, I thought it was really clever haha.

And I agree his fastball has a really nice sinking movement on it.

Ran it up to 93 in the fourth - a nice fastball that back doored the outside corner.

Really nice movement there.

He looks big league ready to me - aside from his tendency to get the change up.

I think he might look good with the Sox under Coopers wing.

He got shelled in ATL on JUN 21st.

Nice, time to look that one up and see more of the potential bad.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 02:00 AM)
I like this get now that I see him pitch.

I think under Buehrle and Coop, he'll flourish and he and Sale can step in for Danks and Floyd.

If only KW & Gang knew what we knew by just watching condensed games

But if that was the case where Stewart and Sale are the eventual take overs of Danks and Floyd, I can only imagine what we get for those two and where those players go. (Now im thinking way too into it, i guess its a bit late)

QUOTE (The '05 Sound @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 12:04 AM)
But if that was the case where Stewart and Sale are the eventual take overs of Danks and Floyd, I can only imagine what we get for those two and where those players go. (Now im thinking way too into it, i guess its a bit late)

I believe he was talking about 2012/2013. ;)

QUOTE (The '05 Sound @ Jul 28, 2011 -> 02:04 AM)
If only KW & Gang knew what we knew by just watching condensed games

If you ship Danks and Floyd, you should get a nice return on Floyd and kings package for Danks.

Packaged together would have to net something amazing.

Not a big fan of Stewart's secondary pitches from what I saw. But he does have a very nice fastball. If they can tune him up and improve his off-speed stuff he could be a viable candidate for the rotation. In the least, he has a big league arm, makeup, and should fit into the Sox staff in some capacity. Personally, he looks like a setup guy to me.