Jackson & Teahen to TOR for Frasor & Stewart (RHP)

macsandz

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 05:19 PM)
Williams on Stewart regarding his performance this year in AA and his future with the Sox:

When I heard Kenny's interview on The Score today, the bit about "four average pitches" made me laugh. I know he didn't mean for it to sound the way it did, but it just sounded so bad.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 05:15 PM)
And than at that point, can't they pretty much get type B compensation for him and/or excerise the option and use him for another year at a pretty fair price.

The reality is to me the club is clearly looking at potentially moving some of its relievers and at the trade deadline, relievers always seem to have very steap prices. Heck, given how crappy the central is, I think if the right offers are out there to retool, you do it, knowing that in this crappy division, the club should still contend.

I also highly doubt the club is going to move any of its other starters (e.g., Danks). So that means you possibly spin Quentin, Thorty, Ohman, and maybe Frasor. That should give you some solid parts while also opening up spots for Reed/Stewart/Santiago/etc. The hard part truly is replacing Quentin's production.

Danks and Floyd are availiable per CBS sportsline.

1 year/$3.5M (2011), plus 2012 club option

accepted Toronto's offer of arbitration as free agent 12/10

re-signed by Toronto 1/28/11, (avoided arbitration, $3.725M-$3.25M)

11:$3.5M, 12:$3.75M club option

This sets the bullpen up very well for 2012. $3.75 is a BIT expensive, but this brings a potential Matt Thornton trade into play to go cheaper (for 2012) and get a pretty darned elite prospect back (Stewart). Of course, you also have the option of dangling the Frasor/Crain chips on the market and seeing who'll bite.

Probably means Sale stays in the bullpen.

Santiago MAYBE then serves as the second lefty.

Bruney has been throwing well recently, so you've got Crain, Santos, Frasor and Sale as the back end of the bullpen....with the likes of Reed/Infante pushing up from the bottom.

One thing to consider is that Mark Teahen is now the 4th highest paid player on the Blue Jays. Getting out from under that contract was huge...and then we got Zach Stewart, who's in line to join the rotation...or stay in the pen, with Santiago/Sale possibly as the fifth starter.

Lots of options now for KW.

Of course, the biggest and most pressing issue is what to do with 3B in a pennant drive.

Right now, Thornton's probably your best trade chip left, assuming Quentin, Danks and Buehrle are off the market.

All things considered, it's not a bad deal at all. And we weren't really positioned to make any kind of play for Rasmus since we're stuck with Rios. Putting Rios back in RF would have made his value doubly suspect...

Of course, you hate to lose Jackson right when he was beginning to go on another of his patented runs, but conversely, it was probably a good time to maximize what KW could get out of his and erase the Teahen contract from the books. That, alone, has a pretty big value for us.

Edited by caulfield12

Zach stewart is no longer a pure power arm... having the luxary to live in Toronto, I get all the Jays game, so I have seen him pitch a couple of times. He is now more of a command type pitcher with more movement to the fastball. It pretty much sits from 88-91mph. He wasn't horrible nor amazing in his stint in the big leagues. Obviously one game he messed up but the other two outings were decent. all I remember from one game was the commentators saying how he wasn't hit hard just the hits found the hole. He seems to be an okay pitcher, #3-4 type guy, pretty good that we could nab him from the Blue Jays while surrendering Teahen.

While I am at, Frasor is a good reliever, who I hope can be with the Sox beyond his contract at the right price ofcourse. He has a fastball that is 93-95, and good off speed stuff. One of the more consistent guys out of the Jays pen.

OG after the game today.

"I don’t think we’re going to buy anything," Guillen said following the Sox's 2-1 win over Detroit, which came hours after the Sox saved $9.5 million through 2012 by trading pitcher Edwin Jackson and infielder Mark Teahen to Toronto for reliever Jason Frasor and pitching prospect Zach Stewart.

"I think (chairman) Jerry Reinsdorf’s broke now. I still believe what we have in the offense. We don’t need to trade anybody. We just need those guys to go out and score some runs."

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)
Meh, I don't know about that. A quality starting pitcher is worth a lot more than an aging middle reliever and a wildcard pitching prospect in my book.

His price was a wildcard pitching prospect and a low level pitching prospect last year.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 05:19 PM)
Williams on Stewart regarding his performance this year in AA and his future with the Sox:

"He's had a couple of trips up, and we've been able to identify exactly what we think he needs to do to realize the talent that he is."

I really get goosebumps when I hear the Sox say that about a pitcher.

I really don't mind this deal at all. Good things to say about both Edwin and Teahen in their short stays here...they were professional and appeared to be good teammates. Good luck to them both.

The thing that depresses me the most...no matter what we do with these deals.... we're stuck with friggin Rios for WAAAAAY too damn long.

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:44 PM)
Zach stewart is no longer a pure power arm... having the luxary to live in Toronto, I get all the Jays game, so I have seen him pitch a couple of times. He is now more of a command type pitcher with more movement to the fastball. It pretty much sits from 88-91mph. He wasn't horrible nor amazing in his stint in the big leagues. Obviously one game he messed up but the other two outings were decent. all I remember from one game was the commentators saying how he wasn't hit hard just the hits found the hole. He seems to be an okay pitcher, #3-4 type guy, pretty good that we could nab him from the Blue Jays while surrendering Teahen.

While I am at, Frasor is a good reliever, who I hope can be with the Sox beyond his contract at the right price ofcourse. He has a fastball that is 93-95, and good off speed stuff. One of the more consistent guys out of the Jays pen.

We have a club option on Frasor at $3.75 million for 2012.

Would be shocked if KW 1) didn't turn around and trade Frasor OR 2) keep Frasor through 2012 and get the comp pick back OR hold out for another deadline trade next season.

With Santos, Crain, Frasor and Bruney, the RH side of the bullpen certainly looks much improved from the first 3 months of 2011.

Then you have Reed/Infante as well.

Letting Tony Pena go, we'll shave some money off the payroll (along with Jackson/Teahen) but picking up about 1/3rd of it back with Frasor's deal.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 05:59 PM)
The thing that depresses me the most...no matter what we do with these deals.... we're stuck with friggin Rios for WAAAAAY too damn long.

If there's some decent production from De Aza, it won't bother me at all.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 04:56 PM)
I really get goosebumps when I hear the Sox say that about a pitcher.

Didn't they also say that about Marquez, Grilli and Van Benschoten?

Joking.

The happiest event of the day is KW announcing that Rios will be taking a backseat to DeAza.

A couple of months too late, but better now than never.

baseballamerica trade summary....it has probably been posted but I just got back from Bali and haven't read through the whole thread and might never make it!!!

To kick things off, the White Sox traded Jackson and third baseman Mark Teahen to the Blue Jays for Stewart, a promising command-oriented pitching prospect, and veteran righty reliever Jason Frasor, who chews up righthanded batters (.226/.301/.349 in 1,054 career confrontations) but shows no extreme platoon split. Chicago saves more than $8 million in future salary commitments in the transaction, most of the savings resulting from Teahen's $5.5 million salary for 2012 coming off the books. His production, as measured by OPS+, has dropped precipitously in the last three years, falling from 94 in 2009 to 90 in 2010 to 60 so far this season. Remarkably, the 27-year-old Jackson has been traded four times previously, by the Dodgers, Rays, Tigers and Diamondbacks. Not even the magic touch of White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper could help him find the consistency necessary to perform like a steady No. 2 starter this season.

Coveting Rasmus, the Blue Jays packaged the newly-acquired Jackson with three others players (plus as many as three more players to be named) to St. Louis for the 24-year-old center fielder who will qualify for arbitration for the first time this offseason. Rasmus has undeniable talent, but he clashed with Cardinals management by, allegedly, requesting a trade on multiple occasions and favoring the hitting advice offered by his father rather than St. Louis coaches. "He doesn't listen to the Cardinal coaches much now, and that's why he gets in these funks, in my opinion," former manager Tony La Russa told MLB.com. ". . . But I actually feel concern for him, because he hears it from so many places, he's got to be confused." Sounds a lot like NICK SWISHER.

White Sox Acquire

Zach Stewart, rhp

Born: Sept. 28, 1986 in Wichita Falls, Texas.

Ht.: 6-2. Wt.: 205. Bats: R. Throws: R.

School: Texas Tech.

Career Transactions: Selected by Reds in third round of 2008 draft; signed June 8, 2008 ... Traded by Reds with 3B Edwin Encarnacion and RHP Josh Roenicke to Blue Jays for 3B Scott Rolen, July 31, 2009.

Club (League) Class W L ERA G GS SV IP H R ER HR BB SO WHIP

New Hampshire (EL) AA 5 5 4.20 16 16 0 94.1 106 49 44 6 27 74 1.41

Toronto (AL) MLB 0 1 4.86 3 3 0 16.2 26 9 9 2 5 10 1.86

Stewart works quickly and throws four pitches for strikes, making him a future mid-rotation candidate for Chicago. His fastball features sinking and tailing action at 88-92 mph, while his quality low-80s slider functions as his No. 2 pitch. Stewart worked in a mid-80s changeup more frequently this season with New Hampshire, and he sells the change of pace with good arm speed. He also surprises opponents with a seldom-used curveball.

Jason Frasor, rhp

Age: 33. Remaining Commitment: $3.5 million salary for 2012 (approximately $1.166 million remains), plus $3.75 million club option for 2012.

Contract details courtesy of Cot's Baseball Contracts.

Club (League) YEAR W L ERA G GS SV IP H R ER HR BB SO WHIP

Toronto (AL) 2011 2 1 2.98 44 0 0 42.1 38 15 14 4 15 37 1.25

3-Year Totals 12 8 3.08 174 0 15 163.2 142 62 56 12 58 158 1.22

QUOTE (T R U @ Jul 26, 2011 -> 10:53 PM)
Yeah that Teahen contract was really tying our hands wasn't it.. You don't trade a solid SP for a relief pitcher, especially when you don't even need one..

Im over it, there is no chance this is true.. KW has made some odd moves in the past, but this is too stupid to be legit

Guess What?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 11:33 AM)
The people that like Stewart had better be right because he's really the one guy that can salvage the entire Daniel Hudson/Edwin Jackson saga of the last year. I don't think Frasor can, although he is a decent reliever.

Getting Jackson for what he gave up and letting Jackson go for what he got seals it for me about Williams.

He'll never get another GM job.