Jackson & Teahen to TOR for Frasor & Stewart (RHP)

macsandz

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 06:33 PM)
An absolute piss poor use of resources by this team, which has become an increasingly alarming trend with this front office.

Very true.

If he's busting up the team now it makes no sense being that he was afraid to bring up Viciedo for so long.

They needed to at least try that move.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 01:11 PM)
If it is indeed Shelby Miller and not Trevor Miller as originally posted, he was the 19th overall pick by the Cardinals in 2009, and apparently their top prospect coming in to that year.

That was a joke. No chance in hell that would happen.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 12:53 PM)
I saw they had some nice lower level bats, anything worth taking?

He loves Domingo Santana, but is more impressed with the arms in the system than the bats. I guess it depends on who the Sox would be dealing to Philly. He also loves Jesse Biddle. Not sure much of their good talent is near ready.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 07:01 PM)
I think I like the trade, but I also think it is part of a larger plan. We traded away an under-performing Teahen and an extra underperforming starter in E-Jax, saving the team $10M or so over the next couple years, which gives room for other moves, extensions, etc. We get a better than average late inning reliever in Frasor, and a decent starting pitching prospect in Zach Stewart.

You can see the plan from here. The team probably improves a bit now or stays the same, gives Rios a kick in the rear he so desperately needs (De Aza is going to take most playing time in CF), and saves a bunch of money.

Acquiring Frasor means they can trade Thornton, who is in high demand, and the Sox already have multiple good lefty relievers (and, just my view, I think Thornton will fall off a cliff soon).

De Aza up, and Viciedo in the wings, means they can trade TCQ if they get the right offer, which would also save big money and I think Viciedo can be as good as TCQ anyway.

Ozzie gets a speedy leadoff guy in De Aza to replace Juan Pierre, who I think is a free agent after this year (someone can correct me here if wrong).

The Sox are still just as competitive this year, and better set next year, with more room to do things like re-sign Buehrle.

But if they trade Danks or Floyd, that's saying they are done in 2011. That is a white flag signal.

Next year's rotation would be :

Buehrle

Peavy

Danks/Floyd (whomever is not traded)

Humber

Stewart/Sale/Axelrod competition

Still looks pretty damn good. If Sale starts, then Hector Santiago becomes the LOOGY in the pen in 2012.

I doubt this is the last trade this week for the Sox.

Thornton hasn't been anything special this year.

I doubt anybody will give up much for him.

He was horrid early and bad as recently as last night.

Maybe we can get a minor league catcher for him who can actually hit.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 01:19 PM)
I like how we ditched Teahen's contract in this deal, but if adding Matt Thornton to what we already gave up would have netted us Colby Rasmus, I don't know WTF Kenny is/was thinking.

Apparently Rios has scarred the franchise for life. Morons. Even if Rasmus flopped, you wouldn't have anywhere close to the financial obligations that you do Rios. You could either trade him or non-tender him. Where's the risk? Wait. We're waiting for Jordan Danks and Jared Mitchell.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 06:21 PM)
Zach Stewart better be something, or else we basically gave up Dan Hudson for Jason Frasor...

This deal is KW cleaning up his own mess.

That's like burning down the house because you're out of clean dishes.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 01:21 PM)
Zach Stewart better be something, or else we basically gave up Dan Hudson for Jason Frasor...

Stewart is a decent, not great, prspect.

But this perspective you are taking is ridiculous. Yes, the Hudson/Jackson trade was bad. That has absolutely nothing to do with what decisions KW makes after the fact. Zero.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 01:22 PM)
Dan Hudson AND David Holmberg. I don't know why people keep forgetting about him.

I didn't. I just didn't feel like including his name in there as he's made no major impact as of right now.

If there really was an offer for the Sox to get Rasmus, I will be PISSED.

Because AA basically played Kenny. AA is a hell of a GM. He's buying low on great talent (Escobar, Morrow, etc.) and he's getting good returns from them thus far. I'm willing to bet that Rasmus will turn it around.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 01:24 PM)

But this perspective you are taking is ridiculous. Yes, the Hudson/Jackson trade was bad. That has absolutely nothing to do with what decisions KW makes after the fact. Zero.

I'm not saying that trade affected this decision at all. I'm just stating what might actually be the end result of the Jackson trade.

What I mean when I said Kenny is cleaning up his mess had more to do with him ditching Teahen's contract.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 06:21 PM)

one of his messes.

He's made many.

Time for Kenny Williams to go to the Blue Jays or the Cardinals or the Chattanooga Lookouts.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 01:25 PM)
I didn't. I just didn't feel like including his name in there as he's made no major impact as of right now.

If there really was an offer for the Sox to get Rasmus, I will be PISSED.

Because AA basically played Kenny. AA is a hell of a GM. He's buying low on great talent (Escobar, Morrow, etc.) and he's getting good returns from them thus far. I'm willing to bet that Rasmus will turn it around.

Not every buy-low turns out, I think we've seen that first hand.

And I liked Holmberg the best out of that trade, I hate Huddy's arm action and think he's a shoulder injury risk.

Rios is not untradeable, KW could have him gone in five minutes if he called up the Angels and offered to swap him for his former teammate. The question is what bad contract are you willing to take back in exchange for Rios? I still think Michael Young would be a possibility given that the Rangers want a CF so they can avoid the wear and tear on Hamilton, especially if you would send them some pitching as well. Young and Rios both had $40MM left on their deals, though Young's deal is a year shorter. That may be less of a possibility now with Beltre hurt but the Rangers have moved Chris Davis back to third so there is a chance.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 01:24 PM)

Thank you. Seeing posts stating that the Sox gave up Hudson for Stewart makes me want to bang my head against the wall.

QUOTE (shakes @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 01:13 PM)
He loves Domingo Santana, but is more impressed with the arms in the system than the bats. I guess it depends on who the Sox would be dealing to Philly. He also loves Jesse Biddle. Not sure much of their good talent is near ready.

Lets say we are dealing an all-star OF'er plus a good pen arm. What would be a good return?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 01:29 PM)
Not every buy-low turns out, I think we've seen that first hand.

And I liked Holmberg the best out of that trade, I hate Huddy's arm action and think he's a shoulder injury risk.

Well, Kenny already made half the trade for Rasmus already, except he got an RP and a prospect back in return instead of a CFer who has 4-5 WAR talent (as he showed last season).

I'm not mad that we traded Jackson or Teahen (I think everybody's happy his contract is gone), but if we could have gotten Rasmus by adding Matt Thornton to the offer, I just don't know what to say anymore.