An Open Letter to the White Sox

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 08:00 PM)
The worst part for me is that I can't even get angry about this team anymore.

I get angry when the Score or CSN talk about the Sox. I want to completely forget about baseball this year and move onto wondering why Roy Williams is dropping passes.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 5, 2011 -> 08:19 AM)
I don't go to Sox games because ticket prices have just gotten astronomically high.

I'll pop the cash if the team is fun to watch. This year's team is awful to watch. I went to five games the first month, including dropping 23 f***ing dollars to park and tailgate in Lot G, but jesus H, I'm not burning that cash to watch this disaster with Alex Rios still loafing around in center with a DH who has a whopping 24 hits all season at home.

I agree with what is said in the letter, but I want to add an area where I feel the organization fall short--marketing to the surrounding areas.

If you look at the MLB "Blackout map"

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wvoLtwni0kc/RhO4...lackout+map.jpg

you will see that nearly all of Indiana falls into the Sox' "blackout area". What this means is that the team has exclusive TV rights in this area and therefore games are not available via MLB Extra Innings or mlb.tv.

However, with the exception of the NW part of the state from the IL border over to about Elkhart, the main broadcaster of Sox games, CSN Chicago, is not carried on any cable or satellite systems, and to my knowledge the network has made no efforts to get themselves on in this area. So no Sox games other than the ones on WGN are viewable to people in the Fort Wayne/Muncie/Indy areas. There is no real dominantly popular team in these areas, and the Sox are really missing out by not going after these areas.

I'm not familiar enough with Iowa and Central Illinois to know if the same problem exists in those places.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 5, 2011 -> 09:04 AM)
I get angry when the Score or CSN talk about the Sox. I want to completely forget about baseball this year and move onto wondering why Roy Williams is dropping passes.

I love baseball, and now feel like I can just relax and watch and enjoy the other races.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 06:33 PM)
I wrote them a similar letter about why I wasnt going to renew my 10th year of season tickets. I cannot see eye to eye with an organization that cannot run itself properly.

I am not renewing my full plan which I have had since I converted a 27 gamer mid-season 2000.

My guess is their ticket folks f***ed up by holding tickets back fro cubs, Boston and NY when they went on sale for full season and ozzie plan folks.

My ticket guy has called me twice. I left him a message basically saying there is no longer any interest on my part to spend $9,000 on tickets to watch a team that has no interest in being out there and has a baseball IQ lower than most of the season ticket holders and that is not hyperbole.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 5, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)
I agree with what is said in the letter, but I want to add an area where I feel the organization fall short--marketing to the surrounding areas.

If you look at the MLB "Blackout map"

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wvoLtwni0kc/RhO4...lackout+map.jpg

you will see that nearly all of Indiana falls into the Sox' "blackout area". What this means is that the team has exclusive TV rights in this area and therefore games are not available via MLB Extra Innings or mlb.tv.

However, with the exception of the NW part of the state from the IL border over to about Elkhart, the main broadcaster of Sox games, CSN Chicago, is not carried on any cable or satellite systems, and to my knowledge the network has made no efforts to get themselves on in this area. So no Sox games other than the ones on WGN are viewable to people in the Fort Wayne/Muncie/Indy areas. There is no real dominantly popular team in these areas, and the Sox are really missing out by not going after these areas.

I'm not familiar enough with Iowa and Central Illinois to know if the same problem exists in those places.

thank you, this crap pisses me off, the Reds are a lot closer to Indy, I have Comcast Cable and I can't even get CSN, wtf? Anytime they are on ESPN they are blackedout....

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Aug 5, 2011 -> 06:34 PM)
I am not renewing my full plan which I have had since I converted a 27 gamer mid-season 2000.

My guess is their ticket folks f***ed up by holding tickets back fro cubs, Boston and NY when they went on sale for full season and ozzie plan folks.

My ticket guy has called me twice. I left him a message basically saying there is no longer any interest on my part to spend $9,000 on tickets to watch a team that has no interest in being out there and has a baseball IQ lower than most of the season ticket holders and that is not hyperbole.

Good for you.

I can't imagine the team selling any tickets at least until Rios and Dunn are gone.

I'm not sure I agree that all of the blame lies with Guillen as you stated, Jason. Or at least, he's the one you've focused on from the general "organizational" responsibility. But that's the nature of managers, they're designed to take the fall, so let it be with Ozzie.

I agree that he's said and done things that make you believe he's reckless and indifferent but I'm not sure if that isn't part of his schtick. I've seen him looking at binders and match-ups during the games, I don't believe for a minute that he doesn't look at scouting reports. Guillen has always tried to cultivate an "old-school" persona when it comes to his managerial style. I think he's done a fine job of trying to instill confidence in our starting pitchers, and I agree with his philosophy that a successful club begins and ends with its pitching staff.

But I refuse to hold him accountable for the poor performance from the likes of Dunn and Rios, no matter where they bat in the order. How many more wins would we have if Dunn batted 9th and never against lefties? Zip.

We'll all get our wish for a new manager next season. We can only hope it's someone with the chops to turn things around. But even the ghost of Connie Mack isn't going to suddenly turn Dunn into a reliable offensive threat, or relieve Rios of his headcase, or take the loop out of Beckham's swing, or make all of them disciplined hitters who start taking walks. I believe Ozzie has played the hand he's been dealt. He asked for a new hand after '04, got it, and parlayed it into a WS. Has he made mistakes? More than Fathom has pointed out, to be sure. But how much of this disappointing season is truly on him?....less than you're giving him credit for.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 5, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)

There is no new ground to cover on this team. Nothing is really new in the past few years.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 5, 2011 -> 03:30 PM)
so you do agree, some are idiots.

Of course. There are idiots everywhere on this planet.

Not sure why you think it's cool for a public figure to call his paying customers idiots though. I take it you're not a season ticket holder.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 5, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
That's irrelevant. You don't insult your paying customers. You know, the people that pay your salary.

Its a good thing no one on Soxtalk pays me. I get to call you all idiots whenever I want, haha :)

And it is ridiculous. Ozzie seriously needs to shut it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 5, 2011 -> 01:32 PM)

Not sure why you think it's cool for a public figure to call his paying customers idiots though. I take it you're not a season ticket holder.

Just think what would happen of Obama called all the people who didn't agree with him idiots. I'm sure that would go over well. But Ozzie, he does it, and its just Ozzie being Ozzie.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 5, 2011 -> 03:37 PM)
Just think what would happen of Obama called all the people who didn't agree with him idiots. I'm sure that would go over well. But Ozzie, he does it, and its just Ozzie being Ozzie.

The VP called them terrorists... does that count?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 5, 2011 -> 01:32 PM)

if they were winning you wouldn't give a s***. He'd be "colorful" and not some Jim Tracy clone.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 5, 2011 -> 03:37 PM)

Which is just as annoying as Manny being Manny.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 5, 2011 -> 03:52 PM)
if they were winning you wouldn't give a s***.

That's possible. But when your team is sucking ass why s*** on the fans? We're angry enough with the play on the field and now we have to hear this pompous tool talk down to us? Totally unacceptable.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (MEANS @ Aug 5, 2011 -> 02:12 PM)
thank you, this crap pisses me off, the Reds are a lot closer to Indy, I have Comcast Cable and I can't even get CSN, wtf? Anytime they are on ESPN they are blackedout....

You think that sucks...

I'm outside the CSN viewing audience (can't get CSN with cable) but inside the national blackout area (can't watch it on ESPN/MLB Network when it's a national broadcast either).