Changes Looming If No Postseason

Marty34

Take this for what it is worth.

Spoke with my guy on 35th today. This is the only scenario he knows that has been discussed.

1.) Guillen/Cooper out (presumably will go to Florida)

2.) Williams moved up or moved out.

3.) Hahn new GM.

4.) La Russa/Duncan hired.

La Russa/Duncan hire would mean no rebuild.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 05:14 PM)
Where do I sign up? I'm still holding out hope for an Ozzie for LoMo trade.

LoMo kinda scares me with his twitter fascination, that could get old real quick. But at the same time, he seems like he's a good kid, apparently does a lot in the community down there in Florida.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 05:13 PM)

Spoke with my guy on 35th today. This is the only scenario he knows that has been discussed.

3.) Hahn new GM.

Whoa.. what? Greg Walker must seem like a god to that org.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 04:13 PM)

3.) Hahn new GM.

And hence why I've been saying there will be NO $100M payroll next year. It will be 125 or so, we're "all in" for 2012 as well. Would love to see new management in place from top to bottom, unless we get to the World Series this year which we know is a pipe dream.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 05:28 PM)
La Russa/Duncan are a package deal. My guy didn't mention Walker, my guess though is he'd be gone too. Although he did play for La Russa.

His ass better be gone, no way OG wants him If he goes to FLA.

So what if the Sox make the playoffs but not the World Series?

I would welcome Ozzie gone no matter what.

There will be no rebuild old man Riensdorf doesn't have time for that. Larussa will not want that either.

Larussa will not be so expensive, him and JR go way back and can work out something.

Where Larussa goes Duncan goes. Where Larussa goes winning happens. Like him or not.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 05:13 PM)

3.) Hahn new GM.

Under this scenario, I couldn't be happier to miss the playoffs. Even if it means the loss of Cooper.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 07:11 PM)
A little more background about my conversation, my guy used the word "brilliant" to describe Hahn. He's not thrilled with the idea of TLR replacing Guillen, but it kind of sounded like Williams and Guillen's fate are tied to one another.

So they will make Hahn the GM and force a manager on him. That is brilliant, and BS. Find a new "guy". Yours is full of s***.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 06:26 PM)
So they will make Hahn the GM and force a manager on him. That is brilliant, and BS. Find a new "guy". Yours is full of s***.

Given JR's background with other executives, such as Krause, what would make you think that would not be possible? Sounds very similar to what the Indians did with Shapiro.

Not saying I believe this, and certainly not saying he's stating anything other than the obvious with this (this has all been rumored previously), but I don't think it makes him full of s***, per se.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 07:33 PM)
Take it FWIW, Dick. It absolutely might not happen, but the reason you give for not believing it is weak. Guillen was "forced" on Williams in 2004.

No he wasn't, and Williams on his own extended Manuel before 2004. You do not hire a new GM and then tell him some other guy who is close to the owner and has 30 plus years in the game is going to be the manager. That makes the GM position beyond weak. It would never happen. Ever. I do think the fact that no one on the coaching staff has been extended does make it look like its do or die for either Guillen, Williams and the coaches or for all of them, but your scenerio is not going to happen. If they cleaned house, no new GM with any self respect would take a job where they had no say in the manager hire. Either way, I really think Tony LaRussa managing the White Sox again, even if Hahn if he where hired, or Williams if he stuck around really wanted him, isn't going to happen.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 07:33 PM)
Given JR's background with other executives, such as Krause, what would make you think that would not be possible? Sounds very similar to what the Indians did with Shapiro.

Not saying I believe this, and certainly not saying he's stating anything other than the obvious with this (this has all been rumored previously), but I don't think it makes him full of s***, per se.

Krause would be in a position of authority. Who did the Bulls hire below Krause after Krause was hired where he had no say? Rick Hahn rookie GM as Tony's boss would be a joke. You might as well save money and let Tony do both jobs.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 06:44 PM)
No he wasn't, and Williams on his own extended Manuel before 2004. You do not hire a new GM and then tell him some other guy who is close to the owner and has 30 plus years in the game is going to be the manager. That makes the GM position beyond weak. It would never happen. Ever. I do think the fact that no one on the coaching staff has been extended does make it look like its do or die for either Guillen, Williams and the coaches or for all of them, but your scenerio is not going to happen. If they cleaned house, no new GM with any self respect would take a job where they had no say in the manager hire. Either way, I really think Tony LaRussa managing the White Sox again, even if Hahn if he where hired, or Williams if he stuck around really wanted him, isn't going to happen.

Oh, I misunderstood...I thought you guys were talking about KW being President of Baseball Operations or something over Hahn as being the issue.

I don't really get the impression that Hahn's strong point in the on-field stuff as much as the data and dollars stuff. I don't see him having any kind of a problem with LaRussa as his field manager.

In fact, I don't really see any General Manager having a problem with Tony LaRussa as their field manager.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 14, 2011 -> 07:48 PM)
Oh, I misunderstood...I thought you guys were talking about KW being President of Baseball Operations or something over Hahn as being the issue.

I don't really get the impression that Hahn's strong point in the on-field stuff as much as the data and dollars stuff. I don't see him having any kind of a problem with LaRussa as his field manager.

In fact, I don't really see any General Manager having a problem with Tony LaRussa as their field manager.

I would imagine there are more current GMs who would have a problem with LaRussa as their managaer than those who wouldn't.

As for the making KW a President or something like that, I fail to see what that accomplishes, except for putting a little money in his bank account, especially if he still would have a say in personnel decisions.

Edited by Dick Allen