Ozzie Guillen Appreciation Thread

Quin

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 10:21 PM)
Ozzie had nothing to do with 2005. It's pretty easy to sit back and allow your starters, acquired by your GM, to just pitch you through the playoffs. Good riddance, Ozzie!

Wow MM, you really really don't like Ozzie to not give him absolutely no credit for 2005...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 10:57 PM)
I'm probably one of the few people on here that interacted with Ozzie on a personal basis more than once. Really nice guy in person and always had a moment for strangers that wanted to say hi. Its too bad he became a terrible manager.

If Adam Dunn hit 40 to 50 home runs and Rios hit .320 with 110 RBIs and Peavy won 18 games, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Ozzie would be a great manager.

In appreciation of Ozzie, I will tell my favorite Ozzie story, though it's from his playing days:

August 1996--I've just moved to Michigan and am going to Tiger Stadium for the first time ever to see the Sox. I am with a friend who is a baseball fan but not really a fan of any team so he doesn't really care about the outcome.

Depite the fact that the Sox are decent and the Tigers are on pace to lose 100 games, the Sox are getting owned by some retread pitcher and trail by 2 after 8 innings. My friend wants to take off to beat the traffic. I am desperate to stay and blurt out, "No, we have to stay, the first two guys are going to get on and Ozzie Guillen [due up 3rd in the inning] is going to hit a home run." Now my friend is not as much of a baseball nut as myself, but he knows enough to realize how ridiculous that is, yet he agrees to stay.

Well, the first two guys actually do get on and we look at each other with that, "No, this isn't actually going to happen, is it?" look. Well, damn if Ozzie doesn't line one over the fence just inside the RF pole. We can't stop laughing for at least 5 minutes because I've just said probably the dumbest thing anybody has ever said at a baseball game and then it actually happened.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 09:36 PM)
If Adam Dunn hit 40 to 50 home runs and Rios hit .320 with 110 RBIs and Peavy won 18 games, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Ozzie would be a great manager.

Then playing them would have made sense this season. Of course it wouldnt have overshadowed his already terrible decisions in previous seasons.

And then maybe he wouldmt have quit his job and threw it in the faces of fans like you.

If he played them yes, he would.

If on the other hand Dunn was hitting .159 or Rios was hitting .203 for hypothetical example, and he played them almost daily for 80% of the season, then he would be a f***ing terrible manager. But again, hypothetical situation here.

That simple, heh? Then Ozzie is still irrelevant. So him not being here anymore (thank god) should mean nothing.