2011-12 White Sox off season catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 01:37 AM)
I can't remember where I heard this, but I also heard that all season Morel was worried about losing his job, so he was just swinging for contact, trying not to strike out. Then in September, once he no longer had to worry about being sent down, he started to feel loose at the plate and swing normally. Maybe if Ventura can instill come assurance and confidence in him, September can be a thing of the future.

Wow, so you're saying that a manager who always defers to his veterans but constantly and randomly benches his rookies might be doing some damage to that rookie's confidence? Who Knew?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 07:48 AM)
Wow, so you're saying that a manager who always defers to his veterans but constantly and randomly benches his rookies might be doing some damage to that rookie's confidence? Who Knew?

It was all Morel's fault. He should know better than to have spectacular plays on defense and show that he can swing the bat.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 12:37 AM)
I can't remember where I heard this, but I also heard that all season Morel was worried about losing his job, so he was just swinging for contact, trying not to strike out. Then in September, once he no longer had to worry about being sent down, he started to feel loose at the plate and swing normally. Maybe if Ventura can instill come assurance and confidence in him, September can be a thing of the future.

Morel and Beckham both looked like deer in headlights for most of the season. They really didn't look like they had any confidence. Dunn looked the same way honestly.

I don't get why Morel would be a surprise to Soxtalk. I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as many of you when it comes to the farm system, but we saw this with Morel. He was projected to be a good hitter. He would start off at a level and suck. He would make an adjustment in the middle of the year and hit well. He would get promoted, suck, adjust, and be a good hitter again. He has figured it out and I'm very enthusiastic about Morel. Add the fact he may be even more comfortable with Ventura's new leadership who happens to be an ex-3B, this could be fun to watch. Add this guy as a sleeper along with Beckham in your fantasy league.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 16, 2012 -> 09:30 PM)
Cowley notes that the 2012 slogan is "Appreciate the game." Obviously not official yet. Does Soxtalk close all threads that mention Joe Cowley in it too?

Especially when there are tweets like this...

Burnsy_Does_It Ryan Burns

@cst_Cowley The only thing harder than watching the Sox play is watching Joe Cowley struggle to try and be Jay Mariotti.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
I don't get why Morel would be a surprise to Soxtalk. I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as many of you when it comes to the farm system, but we saw this with Morel. He was projected to be a good hitter. He would start off at a level and suck. He would make an adjustment in the middle of the year and hit well. He would get promoted, suck, adjust, and be a good hitter again. He has figured it out and I'm very enthusiastic about Morel. Add the fact he may be even more comfortable with Ventura's new leadership who happens to be an ex-3B, this could be fun to watch. Add this guy as a sleeper along with Beckham in your fantasy league.

He was projected to be a .750-.800 OPS bat at best and most people considered him to be a short-term gap until something better came along. A Scott Brosius type player.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 11:08 AM)
He was projected to be a .750-.800 OPS bat at best and most people considered him to be a short-term gap until something better came along. A Scott Brosius type player.

A .750-.800 OPS at 3b with solid defense is a very valuable player. If that pushed up to an .825 OPS then that player is a borderline all star.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 10:11 AM)
A .750-.800 OPS at 3b with solid defense is a very valuable player. If that pushed up to an .825 OPS then that player is a borderline all star.

That's at best, which leaves room for him to be a .700-.750 OPS player, which is not something to be desired at 3B (even though anything in that would have been good from 3B last year).

Nobody expected Brent Morel to be a real strong offensive player and, save a strong September last year, everyone's expectations have been proven correct thus far.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 11:19 AM)
That's at best, which leaves room for him to be a .700-.750 OPS player, which is not something to be desired at 3B (even though anything in that would have been good from 3B last year).

Nobody expected Brent Morel to be a real strong offensive player and, save a strong September last year, everyone's expectations have been proven correct thus far.

With good enough defense, a .700-.750 OPS from 3b would be a reasonable contribution. Not talking all star, but you're more than content with 5 years of that, it would generate substantial excess value for your club.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 10:08 AM)

I am hoping he exceeds those expectations. I'll take an .800 OPS for a guy with his defensive skills and reasonable salary. I don't remember hearing anything about his defense before has came up. Just for comparison, Joe Crede's highest full Season OPS was .826 in 2006 and in 2005 it was .757. Joe was clutch! I'm sitting here smiling as I remember his home run in extra innings late in the season vs. Cleveland. Awesome. I'm not sure if Morel will have that much power, but he has hit .320 at almost every level. I think an nice .300 average would help the Sox lineup that seemed to be all or nothing at times.

Edited by 103 mph screwball

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 11:27 AM)
I am hoping be exceeds those expectations. I'll take an .800 OPS for a guy with his defensive skills and reasonable salary. I don't remember hearing anything about his defense before has came up. Just for comparison, Joe Crede's highest full Season OPS was .826 in 2006 and in 2005 it was .757. Joe was clutch! I'm sitting here smiling as I remember his home run in extra innings late in the season vs. Cleveland. Awesome. I'm not sure if Morel will have that much power, but he has it .320 at almost every level. I think an nice .300 average would help the Sox lineup that seemed to be all or nothing at times.

Everything positive about him was about his defense since AA. He's been expected to be a plus defender.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 03:58 PM)

How much hands on time will the new manager have with Morel though? I think Morel came along very well after the early shakes of being a newbie in the bigs. It seemed to be a bit before he settled down and produced with the bat. Beckham did the same thing and then took a step back. I hope this is just the learning curve for both Gordon and Brett as we have a couple real good homegrown players there and hopefully we don't give up on them too soon

This year's Verducci effect article is out, and the White Sox take 2 of the spots on it, with Axelrod at #2 and Stewart just barely making the list. I had no idea the Sox had jumped Axelrod's innings by 60 last year.

Pitcher, Team 2011 Age IP Increase

Derek Holland, Tex 24 222 +71 1/3*

Dylan Axelrod, CWS 25 169 1/3 +60

Jaime Garcia, St.L 24 220 1/3 +57

Liam Hendriks, Minn. 22 162 2/3 +54

Eric Surkamp, SF 23 175 +44*

Chris Schwinden, NYM 24 169 2/3 +43*

Yovani Gallardo, Mil. 25 226.1 +41 1/3*

Nathan Eovaldi, LAD 21 137 2/3 +39 1/3

Daniel Hudson, Ariz. 24 227 1/3 +38 2/3

Jeremy Hellickson, TB 24 193 +37 1/3

Mike Leake, Cin. 23 175 +36 2/3

Matt Harrison, Tex 25 204 +36 1/3*

Michael Pineda, Sea 22 171 +31 2/3

Zach Stewart, CWS 24 168 +31 2/3

* Previous high occurred prior to 2010

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writ...l#ixzz1jvg5M54a

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 03:16 PM)
This year's Verducci effect article is out, and the White Sox take 2 of the spots on it, with Axelrod at #2 and Stewart just barely making the list. I had no idea the Sox had jumped Axelrod's innings by 60 last year.

Well, I guess Chris Sale is a lock for that list next year. Like Verducci says, it's not that scientific of a study but worth looking at for very loose guidelines.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 04:26 PM)
Well, I guess Chris Sale is a lock for that list next year. Like Verducci says, it's not that scientific of a study but worth looking at for very loose guidelines.

100% guarantee. He'll almost certainly be #1 on the list next year.