2011-12 White Sox off season catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 11:55 PM)
Good job, as much as Cowley sucks, some of the slogans today were priceless! #appreciate the game !

Yeah there were some good ones. A ton of people were sending in their slogans :).

Mine was Kenny Williams is calling Brad Pitt for trade advice #AppreciatetheGame

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 12:16 PM)
This year's Verducci effect article is out, and the White Sox take 2 of the spots on it, with Axelrod at #2 and Stewart just barely making the list. I had no idea the Sox had jumped Axelrod's innings by 60 last year.

I know he knows it's not scientific, but I do remember when he came out with this. It may be something I do over the next 2 weeks or so, but if anyone else has done it, I'd like to see some sort of working percentage within this group. Injuries, regression, progression, stability...anything. It's a decent guideline to follow, and it makes sense in a lot of regards, but there's obviously more to it than that, because CJ Wilson, not even caring about age, jumped 130 innings in 2010 and he was much better this year. Derek Lowe made a similar transition and he was mediocre in his second year and awful in his third year of the transition, but he's been generally fine ever since.

My hypothesis is that it has no statistically significant effect, but that there may be certain characteristics that can be traced to it.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 20, 2012 -> 08:24 AM)
I know he knows it's not scientific, but I do remember when he came out with this. It may be something I do over the next 2 weeks or so, but if anyone else has done it, I'd like to see some sort of working percentage within this group. Injuries, regression, progression, stability...anything. It's a decent guideline to follow, and it makes sense in a lot of regards, but there's obviously more to it than that, because CJ Wilson, not even caring about age, jumped 130 innings in 2010 and he was much better this year. Derek Lowe made a similar transition and he was mediocre in his second year and awful in his third year of the transition, but he's been generally fine ever since.

My hypothesis is that it has no statistically significant effect, but that there may be certain characteristics that can be traced to it.

Read his article, he includes some of those numbers.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 20, 2012 -> 10:24 AM)

Part of the problem is that he uses ERA as a measuring stick, and we all know how notoriously flawed that particular metric is. Additionally, I've never seen any information about a control group (i.e. what is the likelihood of regression/injury from players off that list?). The age factor also seems rather arbitrary, and I'm not sure I buy into the idea that major league innings are more stressful in any physical sense just because some ML manager thinks so. We all know that baseball lifers tend to be less than pragmatic.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 20, 2012 -> 12:30 PM)

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?s=...t&p=2538150

The guy that runs baseball-reference.com was on Clubhouse Confidential the other day, and mentioned that there are "easter eggs" on the site, and he mentioned the Mendoza Line.

So I just put in Mendoza Line in as a player, and it automatically took me to Adam Dunn's player page.

Very Funny.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 12:00 PM)
Cue the "best shape of his life" articles.

Yeah, but ones that include something quantifiable are cool with me. Saying he lost 30 pounds can be proved or disproved. It's the articles that say "Feels great" or "Feels in the best shape of his life" or "Has a new outlook" or something are stupid and fluffy.

If Adam really lost 30 pounds, and that should be quite noticeable, then I think this is great news.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 02:27 PM)
Yeah, but ones that include something quantifiable are cool with me. Saying he lost 30 pounds can be proved or disproved. It's the articles that say "Feels great" or "Feels in the best shape of his life" or "Has a new outlook" or something are stupid and fluffy.

If Adam really lost 30 pounds, and that should be quite noticeable, then I think this is great news.

Dude was fat when he was good too. If he did indeed lose the weight it's nice that he seemingly has dedicated himself to getting back to form but who knows how the weight loss will effect his swing, power, etc...

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 08:24 PM)
Dude was fat when he was good too. If he did indeed lose the weight it's nice that he seemingly has dedicated himself to getting back to form but who knows how the weight loss will effect his swing, power, etc...

Can't say he's not making an effort. It'd be nice if he'd air all of his dirty laundry on Twitter, though, so that way we know what's really going on.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 09:24 PM)

I'm not saying losing 30 lbs will make him good again, but it's a sign he is working hard and trying to improve. He could easily just do nothing and hope it turns around.

And I am sure losing 30 lbs won't HURT at least, at least. Maybe even makes him a half-step faster! haha.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 21, 2012 -> 09:28 PM)
Can't say he's not making an effort. It'd be nice if he'd air all of his dirty laundry on Twitter, though, so that way we know what's really going on.

First part is exactly the point, especially after so many people took his off season routine completely out of context and had conniption fits about it.

The second part is just awesomeness.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 01:09 AM)
I'm not saying losing 30 lbs will make him good again, but it's a sign he is working hard and trying to improve. He could easily just do nothing and hope it turns around.

And I am sure losing 30 lbs won't HURT at least, at least. Maybe even makes him a half-step faster! haha.

I agree. I'm just not interested in the 80 offseason articles that go along with it nor will I believe he can hit a baseball again until I see him hit a baseball...