2011-12 White Sox off season catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 11:13 PM)
No, that's COMPLETELY fair to say he has spent the last 5 years trying to lose his job by running an organization in to the ground out of some sort of irrational spite. Not unfair at all.

speaking of irrational spite. If you really think KW has tried to make this team worse, despite being the most successful GM in the modern era for the Sox, you really are showing an irrational bias.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 07:48 AM)
speaking of irrational spite. If you really think KW has tried to make this team worse, despite being the most successful GM in the modern era for the Sox, you really are showing an irrational bias.

Personally I'd love to hear the explanation of what moves were made out of spite and why he thinks that.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 08:48 AM)

I hope you realized I was being sarcastic, and was directing that comment at someone else.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 09:40 AM)
I hope you realized I was being sarcastic, and was directing that comment at someone else.

Dang I'm only 3 for 12 for the weekend.

My apologies. My sarcasm filter is not working this morning. My teenage daughter burned it out yesterday.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 06:59 PM)
So Adam Dunn lost 30 pounds. I suppose it's so it's easier for him to "hit his weight", or at least, hit HALF of his weight.

Oh boy. Are the weight articles coming out already?

Sentences like: "Dunn is in the best shape of his life. He has lost a whopping 30 pounds. The secret? Just eating better," Dunn said. On and on.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 02:40 PM)

Sentences like: "Dunn is in the best shape of his life. He has lost a whopping 30 pounds. The secret? Just eating better," Dunn said. On and on.

It's less than a month from spring training. The "Best shape of his life" articles are due right now, and if you're a baseball fan they ought to start getting you excited...because whether or not that's true, it means we're over the hump and there will soon be baseball!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 07:44 PM)
It's less than a month from spring training. The "Best shape of his life" articles are due right now, and if you're a baseball fan they ought to start getting you excited...because whether or not that's true, it means we're over the hump and there will soon be baseball!

I believe you speak the truth Kemo Sabe :gosox1:

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 01:40 PM)

So what should they be writing about?

It's not a fall off quite that of Dunn, because it is damn near impossible to find one like that, but here are Pablo Sandoval's OPS's from 2009, 2010, and 2011, with the idea that it had a little bit to do with weight fluctuations.

2009 - .943

2010 - .732

2011 - .909

This is one in a list of many of guys who have rededicated themselves to fitness and getting back into shape to see them return close to their career norms. Considering Sandoval's career has been short thus far, there is no saying what exactly his true talent level is, but this is one possible outcome. You can look at Frank Thomas too.

You can also look at Richie Sexson and see that as a possible outcome. It is definitely a possible outcome.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 04:07 PM)
Has he eaten anything?

True. He needs the 30 pounds that Dunn dropped. Maybe they should hang out and discuss their diets.

Dunn: I'm going to go ahead and order another burger and a Schlitz.

Sale: Not me, I'm full after that crouton and ice water.

Dunn: No, the burger is for you. What the hell, you can have the beer, too.

Trouble is, Sale could end up looking like Jenks.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)
Source: Prince is very close to a nine-year contract with the Detroit Tigers, according to sources.

NO WAY

Start rebuilding...it's confirm. 9 years 214 million

QUOTE (daggins @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 10:09 PM)
How long do you think KW can milk that particular cow? It is not an unfair assessment to say he has spent the last 5 years or so running the Sox into the ground.

Very true, but that's why I only bring that out to respond to the specific post PolishPrince made. That he "drove the organization into the ground."

What's happened the last few years is weak GMing, not total destruction. The huge miss that could've been avoided with closer inspection was Peavy, Rios was the bad but decent gamble (though it paid off decently in Rios' 2010 campaign), and Dunn was the sure-fire total shocker.

Also through the recent years KW has had good moves Danks/Floyd/Alexei/Sale/Dayan/CQ that he fails to get enough credit for, it's just that the two worst ones have been bad enough to obscure several nice smaller moves