2011-12 White Sox off season catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)
History paints a dismal picture for those three-true-outcome players who have seasons this far below their typical rates.

I don't think there's ever been a case of a player of almost any sort who suddenly at age 32 had a season that far below his typical level.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 02:21 PM)
History paints a dismal picture for those three-true-outcome players who have seasons this far below their typical rates.

I'd be curious to see the study. I have asked before if anyone had comps for Dunn's season. I have never gotten an answer.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 03:34 PM)
I'd be curious to see the study. I have asked before if anyone had comps for Dunn's season. I have never gotten an answer.

He seriously put up one of the 20 worst seasons in MLB history last year. It's virtually impossible for there to be a true comp.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 04:50 PM)
His eyesight is probably the issue.

It that's the case, then glasses/contacts/surgery could turn him into an all star again. Eyesight is correctable in this world.

Edit: and someone should have been fired for not helping him correct it last year. An eye exam doesn't take weeks.

A couple buddies and I are looking to make a Trade Kenny t-shirt using the Trader Joe's logo.

trader-joes.jpg

Looking to replace the food/bottle with something else. My suggestions were the Chicago skyline or something like a white flag in the center where the bottle is.

Anyone else have any other thoughts what we could use on there?

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 07:35 PM)
A couple buddies and I are looking to make a Trade Kenny t-shirt using the Trader Joe's logo.

trader-joes.jpg

Looking to replace the food/bottle with something else. My suggestions were the Chicago skyline or something like a white flag in the center where the bottle is.

Yeah, maybe some faith.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 06:35 PM)

trader-joes.jpg

A radar with him under it.

Edited by That funky motion

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 06:35 PM)

trader-joes.jpg

Ozzie

QUOTE (daggins @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 10:09 PM)
How long do you think KW can milk that particular cow? It is not an unfair assessment to say he has spent the last 5 years or so running the Sox into the ground.

Agreed. I love Kenny for bringing us a World Series in 2005, but now what have you done for me lately?

Also, for the people who think Dunn is going to bounce back, its not impossible, but I think it will be more of a dead cat variety. As far as a comp, you don't have to look too far back - In his age 33 season, Richie Sexson simply stopped hitting the ball with any authority. 2 years later he was done.

Edited by daggins

QUOTE (daggins @ Jan 22, 2012 -> 11:09 PM)
How long do you think KW can milk that particular cow? It is not an unfair assessment to say he has spent the last 5 years or so running the Sox into the ground.

No, that's COMPLETELY fair to say he has spent the last 5 years trying to lose his job by running an organization in to the ground out of some sort of irrational spite. Not unfair at all.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 12:09 AM)

How was Kenny supposed to know Dunn was gonna be that bad, that was a great addition at the time and should of had us set for a run as WS contenders. Or biggest need from the previous season was a LH/DH he got that.

Our biggest need going into the 2010 season was a lead off hitter, he got that in Juan Pierre..though the Kotsay/Jones DH platoon was a bad move, but wasnt it Ozzie that wanted it? He then got Manny Ramirez who when healthy was raking in LA so just like Dunn this looked to be a great move, he didnt know that he all of a sudden wouldnt produce.

They made the playoffs in 08 so it would seem that major changes wouldnt be needed in 09, a year in which he got Dayan Viciedo who everyone loves.

They made the playoffs in 08 after a terrible 07

as i said before 07 was terrible but KW did manage to get us Floyd and Danks that year

06 they were just coming off a WS championship and KW added Jim Thome to the mix

I wouldnt say hes been great, but i for sure wouldnt say hes ran this team into the ground the last 5 years.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 06:35 AM)
How was Kenny supposed to know Dunn was gonna be that bad, that was a great addition at the time and should of had us set for a run as WS contenders. Or biggest need from the previous season was a LH/DH he got that.

Our biggest need going into the 2010 season was a lead off hitter, he got that in Juan Pierre..though the Kotsay/Jones DH platoon was a bad move, but wasnt it Ozzie that wanted it? He then got Manny Ramirez who when healthy was raking in LA so just like Dunn this looked to be a great move, he didnt know that he all of a sudden wouldnt produce.

They made the playoffs in 08 so it would seem that major changes wouldnt be needed in 09, a year in which he got Dayan Viciedo who everyone loves.

They made the playoffs in 08 after a terrible 07

as i said before 07 was terrible but KW did manage to get us Floyd and Danks that year

06 they were just coming off a WS championship and KW added Jim Thome to the mix

I wouldnt say hes been great, but i for sure wouldnt say hes ran this team into the ground the last 5 years.

He's done a horrible job since the title season IMO.

He continued the fine Chicago tradition of not being able to sustain success (with the exception of Sir. Michael's Bulls dynasty!)