Chris Sale to be Moved to the Rotation in 2012

Kalapse

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 08:26 PM)
Then we saw his offspeed stuff.

I don't disagree. Was just sayin'. Loved the pick then, still do now. I just would have preferring him being stretched out during the 2011 season.

Edited by DirtySox

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 08:26 PM)
He was a no-brainer pick where they selected him. Who should they have taken?

Just like Gordon Beckham was a no-brainer pick. I don't want to hear it. Stop with the excuses. For years it was draft position. That's been emphatically debunked. It's time to start to hit once in a while on your 1st round picks.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 08:26 PM)
He was a no-brainer pick where they selected him. Who should they have taken?

i'm not taking sides in this arguement, but i want to comment on the point you're trying to make

there are flaws in your comment: sometimes it isn't about "who else should they have picked", ala Gordon Beckham or Chris Sale, it's the fact that once you have said player, it's your job as an organization to get the talent out of said player

We haven't gotten that talent out of Beckham, we'll see what we do with Sale, but so far Sale has been a success, albeit as a reliever

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
Just like Gordon Beckham was a no-brainer pick. I don't want to hear it. Stop with the excuses. For years it was draft position. That's been emphatically debunked. It's time to start to hit once in a while on your 1st round picks.

Beckham wasn't the no-brainer pick that Sale was. Smoak and Jason Castro went right after him. Lawrie did too, but I don't remember anyone mentioning Lawrie as a top 10 pick at the time

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 08:35 PM)
Beckham wasn't the no-brainer pick that Sale was. Smoak and Jason Castro went right after him. Lawrie did too, but I don't remember anyone mentioning Lawrie as a top 10 pick at the time

Sure. I got two words for you: Alex Fernandez

The last productive White Sox first round pick. That is so pathetic that I'm going to punish myself with this shot of Whiskey.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 08:42 PM)
He produced 1.4 WAR out of the bullpen. With the staff the way it was this year, being a starter just didn't fit. Getting him some valuable experience as a reliever in high leverage situations isn't a bad thing, in fact Sale had the 7th best WPA of all relievers in MLB.

It's just part of his learning experience. TBH, I'm still worried about him as a starter. He just looks like a guy who will lose a lot of his stuff due to the transition and break down later on in the year.

I wanted him starting in AA or AAA, not starting in the majors.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 07:13 PM)
I would agree. A few days ago Goldstein tabbed him as a likely three with an outside shot of becoming a two.

Boys sellin' my man short.

Slim Unit gonna be da bomb. Fastball will also be a plus pitch as a starter once he inevitably fills out, at least a little bit.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
I don't disagree. Was just sayin'. Loved the pick then, still do now. I just would have preferring him being stretched out during the 2011 season.

I missed this post. This is true. But it was simply another case of the half-assed way of running this organization during the KW era. Sacrificing the future for the present. We'd have a much better idea going into '12 of Sale's long-term prognostication if he had started the season at AA/AAA and gotten stretched out. Now we're hoping and praying.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 09:17 PM)
I missed this post. This is true. But it was simply another case of the half-assed way of running this organization during the KW era. Sacrificing the future for the present. We'd have a much better idea going into '12 of Sale's long-term prognostication if he had started the season at AA/AAA and gotten stretched out. Now we're hoping and praying.

I'm not sure if you said this before the season, as I know that the vast majority of the posters wanted him in the bullpen. JoeCoolMan is about the only guy I can definitely remember being against it.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 10:27 PM)
I'm not sure if you said this before the season, as I know that the vast majority of the posters wanted him in the bullpen. JoeCoolMan is about the only guy I can definitely remember being against it.

IIRC, J4L was the only other person completely on my side about NOT putting Sale in the bullpen, or at least the only other person as loud as me about it.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 03:36 AM)
Thanks, JC, I eventually accepted that Sale was going to start the season in the bullpen. But my initial thoughts were consistent in that I thought he should've started the season in AAA.

Add me to the group who wanted Sale anywhere but the bullpen.

Still don't understand the "sacrificing the future" argument with Sale.

In hindsight, sure, it was a mistake. But if we had won the division it would have been worth it 100% to have one of the best relievers in the league in our pen.

And if the answer to that is "we wouldn't have won the division no matter what"....then we shouldn't have resigned PK, shouldn't have signed Dunn, and traded Q, Danks, and Jackson before 2011 even started.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 10:36 PM)
Thanks, JC, I eventually accepted that Sale was going to start the season in the bullpen. But my initial thoughts were consistent in that I thought he should've started the season in AAA.

Chris Sale officially moved to bullpen thread:

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...t=0&start=0

I think one of Floyd/Danks is gone before next season. I'd be pretty surprised if they're both gone this winter though. My guess is that one is kept, but traded in July if we're not in a good place in the standings. And my guess is we won't be in a good place in the standings.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 02:20 AM)
I think one of Floyd/Danks is gone before next season. I'd be pretty surprised if they're both gone this winter though. My guess is that one is kept, but traded in July if we're not in a good place in the standings. And my guess is we won't be in a good place in the standings.

I really hope Danksy is traded. I love the guy, but I don't think we have the money to sign him, and I think he will get us the larger return on prospects.

Get it done, Kenny.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 09:52 PM)
I also see where Rowand said Sale had better stuff than Prior and it's not close. hahaha. Proves fans don't know s*** (me included).

Pssh.. look at my post on that subject.

I think many people forgot how good Prior's stuff was before Dusty destroyed his arm. Before Stras, he was the best college pitcher I've ever seen and followed in the minors.

I knew it cause I saw Prior and Sale both pitch in college. Sale has very good stuff, but he isn't in Prior's neighborhood. (and that is no knock, Prior was just that good)

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 4, 2011 -> 01:46 AM)
I really hope Danksy is traded. I love the guy, but I don't think we have the money to sign him, and I think he will get us the larger return on prospects.

Get it done, Kenny.

And I will maintain my ways on saying it would be a horrible mistake if Danks is traded. (unless you absolutely can not sign him to a Buehrle type deal) He still has too much upside untapped. (and yes.. I'm his biggest fan, and I know Floyd is Jason's biggest fan)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Oct 3, 2011 -> 08:05 PM)
I don't know about 4 MPH, but a drop in velocity is very likely. Happens almost all the time when a pitcher has to sustain himself for a starter's workload. Conversely, many starters gain velocity when converted to relieving. Addison Reed for instance.

It is the same math that has sprinters running faster than marathoners over the splits.