2012 MLB Catch All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (flavum @ May 3, 2012 -> 06:24 PM)
Mariano Rivera was helped up off the ground and put on a cart.

He may have blown out a knee shagging BP.

I hope it's just a sprain or something. If it's serious and that's how his career ends, that would just be brutal.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2012 -> 07:15 PM)
That would just destroy the Yankees.

I don't know about that. They have arguably the best set-up guy in the league right now, & Soriano is pretty good too with closing experience.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 3, 2012 -> 08:20 PM)
I don't know about that. They have arguably the best set-up guy in the league right now, & Soriano is pretty good too with closing experience.

Soriano was a disaster last year as a closer. Plus we have seen what happens when guys get moved out of their roles in the pen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2012 -> 09:29 PM)
Soriano was a disaster last year as a closer. Plus we have seen what happens when guys get moved out of their roles in the pen

Theyve been saying for a while that Robertson is next in line as it stands now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2012 -> 08:53 PM)
Did you count Dunns 2010 after his 2011? Or his 2009, 2008, 2007 2006...

I still don't understand where you're coming from. You're insinuating that because Soriano blew 3 or 4 saves last year that he couldn't handle the role this year, despite the fact that he was one of the top 3 or 4 closers in all of baseball two years ago. This isn't Matt Thornton.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ May 2, 2012 -> 10:20 AM)
I'm basking in the Albert Pujols results one month into the season. Couldn't have happened to a better guy. It's foolish to think this continues for much longer, but I appreciate each and every day that it does.

Yeah, it is pretty amazing that he has played 26 games, nearly 20% of a normal season for him, and he has 0 HR's and 5 RBI. He is tied for 9th on the team in RBI (tied w/ Abreu who is no longer on the team), his OPS is nearing .500, and his BA is down to .208 after today's 0-3 showing. His drop off is beyond epic. Even if he returned to career norms from the remainder of the season, he would still post careers lows in everything except 2B's.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 3, 2012 -> 10:45 PM)
I still don't understand where you're coming from. You're insinuating that because Soriano blew 3 or 4 saves last year that he couldn't handle the role this year, despite the fact that he was one of the top 3 or 4 closers in all of baseball two years ago. This isn't Matt Thornton.

Mostly it is different to close in Tampa, than it is to close in NY. The point about Dunn was I don't recall you saying he was going to have a big season just because he had a big 2003-2010.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 4, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
Robertson's the best reliever in baseball right now, statistically.

Whether he can do the job as the closer, that remains to be seen. At least they have 2 good candidates before they have to make a desperation move.

I hear Carlos Marmol might be available.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 4, 2012 -> 09:17 AM)
They would have to pay his whole salary and throw in a prospect to get rid of him today.

Seriously, if you were the Yankees, you have their financial resources, and the Cubs made Marmol available if the Yanks ate most of the $15 million he has on his deal, wouldn't you at least consider it? Yeah there's luxury tax penalties on that money, but you just lost the best reliever ever.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 4, 2012 -> 08:20 AM)
Seriously, if you were the Yankees, you have their financial resources, and the Cubs made Marmol available if the Yanks ate most of the $15 million he has on his deal, wouldn't you at least consider it? Yeah there's luxury tax penalties on that money, but you just lost the best reliever ever.

No way. Maybe if Robertson can't handle the closer role. Marmol is absolutely terrible now, are you really gonna trust him right now? There's way better relievers to be had out there if you are desperate, which I don't think they need to be yet considering who they still have in their bullpen.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 4, 2012 -> 09:23 AM)
No way. Maybe if Robertson can't handle the closer role. Marmol is absolutely terrible now, are you really gonna trust him right now? There's way better relievers to be had out there if you are desperate, which I don't think they need to be yet considering who they still have in their bullpen.

Who out there would be easier to be had rapidly for next to nothing in terms of organizational talent (basically just money)?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 4, 2012 -> 08:17 AM)
They would have to pay his whole salary and throw in a prospect to get rid of him today.

I thought I was going along with what was hopefully a joke. I can't see anyone touching this guy right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 4, 2012 -> 08:26 AM)
Who out there would be easier to be had rapidly for next to nothing in terms of organizational talent (basically just money)?

Whoa, I misread your previous post, I thought the Cubs would pick up the salary. Do you actually think it's a good idea to pick up Marmol & the $15 million due to him right now? When he can't throw a strike and wasn't very good last year either? The Yankees already have two relievers that are way better than Marmol anyway. That just sounds like an awful idea, that Cashman should not even consider.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 4, 2012 -> 09:37 AM)
Whoa, I misread your previous post, I thought the Cubs would pick up the salary. Do you actually think it's a good idea to pick up Marmol & the $15 million due to him right now? When he can't throw a strike and wasn't very good last year either? The Yankees already have two relievers that are way better than Marmol anyway. That just sounds like an awful idea, that Cashman should not even consider.

If I'm sitting in Cashman's chair and I have a blank check and my job is to continue winning pennants and world series games, yes, I'd take on Marmol, that would not be the worst risk ever, but I'd make sure he passes a serious physical first (so that I know his current issue isn't that he's about to blow out an elbow). If ownership is seriously pushing me to get down below the luxury tax threshold, and I'm staring Cano and Granderson's extensions in the face, then no, I wouldn't even think about it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 4, 2012 -> 08:47 AM)
If I'm sitting in Cashman's chair and I have a blank check and my job is to continue winning pennants and world series games, yes, I'd take on Marmol, that would not be the worst risk ever, but I'd make sure he passes a serious physical first (so that I know his current issue isn't that he's about to blow out an elbow). If ownership is seriously pushing me to get down below the luxury tax threshold, and I'm staring Cano and Granderson's extensions in the face, then no, I wouldn't even think about it.

You don't, and, They are.