All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

Texsox

What a snooze of a US game. To be honest, the Euro games weren't a ton better. Late drama in Portugal, but that was about it for that match. Goalless in Iceland. Tuesday should be fun though. Return legs typically have drama as long as the scoreline is close.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 05:30 PM)
Yeah, the game was a borefest. Not surprising that the subs were the only ones who looked interested.

Johannsson is fun to watch.

That flick he had when he cut inside the defender near the endline to get into the box was sexy. He's got some good moves. Still a bit raw in the finishing category, at least in his time with the US. I'd like to see him start at least one World Cup game. Obviously, it depends on the matchup. Jozy has a more all-around game so you can't bench him and I don't see the US using two outright strikers against many World Cup teams, but the matchup should appear at least once in the group.

Just discovered that while my cable company does carry NBC Sports Network and I get it at home, my cable company does not provide mobile access to NBCSN for some reason so I do not get to watch US-Austria.

No score at 9' as best as I can tell. In the Euro qualifiers, Greece up 1-0 (with +2 already in the bank) and Croatia up 1-0 (even first leg).

Not that there was any drama left, but the WC field became official after last night's Uruguay-Jordan match.

The seeded teams have already been announced, and based on the way the pots have been done in the past, I think this is how it will go:

Pot 1: Brazil, Spain, Germany, Argentina, Colombia, Belgium, Uruguay, Switzerland

Pot 2: Italy, Netherlands, England, Portugal, Greece, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Russia

Pot 3: Chile, Ivory Coast, France, Ecuador, Ghana, Algeria, Nigeria, Cameroon

Pot 4: USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, Japan, Iran, South Korea, Australia

The draw is December 6.

I understand that putting the CONCACAF teams and AFC teams in the same pot works because there are exactly 8 total teams, but this system is very unfair to CONCACAF. Asia has by far the lowest average ranking of any confederation, and CONCACAF teams do not have a chance to be drawn into a group with any of them.

Yep. It essentially guarantees the USA a spot in the GoD.

Yes, USA is in the GoD almost by definition, since they're the one team in that last pot that's actually good. Not saying that the other teams can't pull an upset or something, but USA is the team everybody in the other pots want to avoid.

Now, if we get super lucky and get Switzerland/Russia/Cameroon while Costa Rica gets Brazil/Italy/France, then maybe we're not in the GoD, but those chances are pretty slim.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1630257/...llapses?cc=5901

Part of the stadium that will host the 2014 World Cup opener in Brazil collapsed on Wednesday, killing at least two people and causing significant damage, authorities said.

Former Corinthians president Andres Sanchez told a news conference that two people were confirmed dead. Local media reported a third person was hospitalized in serious condition. A fire department official had said earlier that three people had died.

Edited by HickoryHuskers