Packages that would net us a haul

Jerksticks

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 04:20 PM)
I don't know Alonso that well, but he's a 1b right? I would really hate to deal for a guy that we have to move to RF because he's blocked by Konerko, only to find out that Alonso is blocked in RF by Viciedo.

In other words, he better be able to give me numbers that make it reasonable for me to send the Captain packing.

True. That's the only roadblock. He appears to be a 1B only.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 04:21 PM)
Whoa. I like Gardner. But let's not get it twisted. A BIG bulk of his value comes from playing an outstanding LF. He's not better than any of the guys you named.

I'm just throwing out the names of the guys who he has better WARs than. Is he better than Kemp? no. but I'd want more than Danks for him also you need to consider he's got a lot more years left of control. Besides Gardner will never be traded unless Girardi is fired.

Edited by TheHugeUnit

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 04:20 PM)
I don't know Alonso that well, but he's a 1b right? I would really hate to deal for a guy that we have to move to RF because he's blocked by Konerko, only to find out that Alonso is blocked in RF by Viciedo.

In other words, he better be able to give me numbers that make it reasonable for me to send the Captain packing.

Put Alonzo in LF and deal Viciedo for pitching.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 05:48 PM)

Why on Earth would you deal Viciedo for young pitching and keep Konerko on the roster? If you're dealing away Santos to get Alonso, you're getting Alonso with 2013 and beyond in mind. However, Konerko will be 37 that year and will be in the final year of his contract. Thus, this pitching you've obtained and this LF you've obtained will suddenly have a manufactured 1b hole starting that season.

If you're trading away your current closer to get a young 1b, and your 1b position is blocked by a 35 year old under contract for 2 years for $25 million, "trading away your young RF and moving the 1b to the OF" shouldn't even enter your mind.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 04:51 PM)
Why on Earth would you deal Viciedo for young pitching and keep Konerko on the roster? If you're dealing away Santos to get Alonso, you're getting Alonso with 2013 and beyond in mind. However, Konerko will be 37 that year and will be in the final year of his contract. Thus, this pitching you've obtained and this LF you've obtained will suddenly have a manufactured 1b hole starting that season.

If you're trading away your current closer to get a young 1b, and your 1b position is blocked by a 35 year old under contract for 2 years for $25 million, "trading away your young RF and moving the 1b to the OF" shouldn't even enter your mind.

You trade Viciedo because he is most likely to bring back the best possible pitching haul of any Sox and Alonzo gives you a young middle of the order hitter to replace Viciedo. Alonzo plays LF until he replaces Konerko at 1B.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 06:14 PM)
You trade Viciedo because he is most likely to bring back the best possible pitching haul of any Sox and Alonzo gives you a young middle of the order hitter to replace Viciedo. Alonzo plays LF until he replaces Konerko at 1B.

Personally, I think that trading Konerko plus freeing up $12 million would be a much more solid pitching haul than trading Viciedo.

And I hate the idea of moving guys around who already are iffy on defense. Put the guy at 1b and stop trying to convince fools on message boards to trade him. Doing so already made someone dislike Viciedo for some unfathomable reason.

The only reason why the Sox would have any interest in a 1b is if the Sox could move their current, expensive 1b. That's the only reason.

Especially if the other option is somehow "Move this 1b to the OF and hope he sticks there despite not being a great defender to start".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 05:42 PM)
But that still means we need a RF and a 1b 2 years down the line (and a closer since that's where we're starting all this). Really makes a mess.

LF Alonzo, CF De Aza, RF Rios. Closer Reed.

Two years Alonzo moves to 1B. Easier to fill a LF hole than a SP hole.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 07:08 PM)
What do you do about the pitching?

$13 million freed up immediately, 3 guys who must be in rotation are Peavy, Sale, and Humber. If the Sox don't care about winning in 2012 (which is what trading for a young 1b would say), then Axelrod and Stewart can get shots...or...we've basically traded Danks, Floyd, and Konerko. At least a couple pitchers ought to come back in those steps.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 06:08 PM)
What do you do about the pitching?

You draft it the next three years when you're drafting in the top ten each year. Heck, with all the people you want to dump the Sox will e drafting in the top five for however many years.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 01:32 AM)
Not sure I'll ever truly understand the love Brett Gardner gets from some people.

I was just thinking, I bet the sox will end up making a trade like that. Gardner strikes me as a guy Kenny would like. Like he loved Junior, Chone Figgins, Tori Hunter, etc. If we lose Buehrle, we will trade Thorton prospects, Danks for prospects, & Floyd for prospects.

Or maybe the opposite. Best thing about Kenny, you never know what he's going to do. Also the worse thing!!!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 05:20 PM)

Alonso has played in over a 100 games in LF in the minors

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 21, 2011 -> 05:48 PM)

why get younger on offense only to trade away youth as well...and why in this whole discussion hasnt CQs name popped up, hes the one you trade for pitching. I keep hearing atlanta as a trade partner for Q but why?? they have prado, heyward and bourn...unless prado can play short or jones is retiring i dont see the match, if that is the case and theyre moving prado back to the inf then a Q(plus something they like in the minors if needed) for Beachy or Delgado would be perfect.

I hear the Nats have some cash to throw around and could use a John Danks, they could also use an OFer with harper maybe not getting the call just yet and bernadina not being that good do you think theyd take Rios with Danks for Peacock Detwiler or milone??

love the idea of trading danks/floyd and rios together, if KW can pull of somethin like that and get a good young major leaguer out of it thatd be job well done by kenny.......make that happen, make the santos for Alonso deal happen , trade Q for the best young SP you can get

OF of Alonso/De aza/Viciedo

Sale

Floyd

Peavy

Humber

Young SP from Q or Danks trade

Once PK retires and Dunns contracts up the sox will be working with some pretty good money as this team sans those 2 is dirt cheap and hella young

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 12:53 AM)
Alonso has played in over a 100 games in LF in the minors.

Yonder is absolutely abhorrent in LF. It's one of the primary reasons he's being shopped. He's a 1B or DH in the grand scheme of things, and he's currently blocked by Votto. I still remember Alonso's first MLB showing in left. It was against the Cubs, and he turned a Tony Campana single/double into an inside the park HR. You can view it here. Despite his defensive shortcomings, I'm a big fan of his. He can and will hit.