Packages that would net us a haul

Jerksticks

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 26, 2011 -> 01:58 PM)
Why?

Right now, we have 5 legit starters and more relievers than we have room for, in addition to a couple borderline guys like Stewart and Axelrod who are long term who-knows, but the hitting talent in our org is completely bare.

Solid point, but by the time the season starts, I believe we WILL NOT have 5 legit starters and that we will be hoping for one or two unproven guys to perform and would like to get a couple of those future options filled if we trade Danks and/or Floyd.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Nov 26, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
Solid point, but by the time the season starts, I believe we WILL NOT have 5 legit starters and that we will be hoping for one or two unproven guys to perform and would like to get a couple of those future options filled if we trade Danks and/or Floyd.

You're probably right.

But here's the thing...if we're not going to re-up Buehrle, if we're not going to spend $115 million this year, if we're looking to cut back and "rebuild" as KW said after the GM meetings, then having 2-3 unproven guys in the rotation is exactly what we should be doing.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 26, 2011 -> 06:48 AM)
Is there something I'm missing with Alonso that make people think he is a super stud of a player? I've honestly never been a huge fan of his and much of that has to do with his career .837 OPS in the minors. I get that, sometimes, power takes a little bit of time to develop, but that is still not hugely impressive for a guy who people hold in such high regard. Sure, he killed the ball in the majors last year, but he had fewer plate appearances than Viciedo did. He has a lot working for him - good walk and contact rates, decent power - but I'm just not seeing this superstar that everyone else is. I'd compare him to Billy Butler, but Butler did a hell of a lot more with the same things working for him in the minors. He seems like a 1-4 WAR player (depending a lot on his defensive value), which obviously has its value when it's cost controlled, but I'm not sure it's something we should be gushing about. There's surely value there but not unless the Sox are willing to make some incredibly bold steps in the direction of rebuilding.

Pure hitter. Not many around.

This organization needs one.

Bad.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Nov 26, 2011 -> 07:34 PM)
I have a hard time believing AZ would trade any of their young pitchers...unless it was a ridiculous return.

Especially that future Cy Young winner, Hudson.

Man, what a pitcher that guy is! The Sox could use a pitcher like that.

Can Yonder Alonso become a solid left fielder? That's the question the White Sox are studying as the Reds shop the left-handed-hitting slugger for pitching. Alonso would be blocked with Paul Konerko at first base and Adam Dunn as designated hitter, although if the Sox really are willing to let Mark Buehrle walk you wonder if they also would approach Konerko about waiving his no-trade clause.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colum...,1696874.column

I'm pretty sure you guys undervalue everyone associated with the Sox and vice versa. Williams has made some bad trades, but he's far from the pariah you claim him to be. Every tenured GM in the books has stupid trades on his resume. Also, prospect lovers are lame. If you listened to everything a prospect nerd professed, you'd think the Royals were actually good. n

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Nov 27, 2011 -> 04:16 AM)
I'm pretty sure you guys undervalue everyone associated with the Sox and vice versa. Williams has made some bad trades, but he's far from the pariah you claim him to be. Every tenured GM in the books has stupid trades on his resume. Also, prospect lovers are lame. If you listened to everything a prospect nerd professed, you'd think the Royals were actually good. n

There's nothing wrong with loving prospects, but there are many people on this board that take it too far. Yes, having a great system can help build a successful major league team, but at the end of the day there are no guarantees with prospects. These guys flop out at high rates. Even when you have one of the best systems, a couple unforeseen injuries or signifcant flops can turn you into a middle or bottom of the pack quickly. How many people here remember the Sox were ranked the #1 system by Baseball America in like 2000 due to their insanse pitching surplus? Future studs like Jason Stumm, Danny Wright, Briant West, Rob Purvis, and Matt Ginter led the way. These guys were all high picks, who prospect experts loved, and they all flopped. Guess who oversaw this #1 system? Our current GM who everything thinks does not know how to build a system. So when everyone wants to suck off the Royals' hitting prospects or the Braves' pitching prospects, remember there is a decent chance they will have little to nothing show for them. This happens all the time and has happened in our own background.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 26, 2011 -> 05:07 PM)
Pure hitter. Not many around.

This organization needs one.

Bad.

What in the bluef*** is a "pure hitter"? Wasn't Gordon Beckham a "pure hitter"? He sure looked like one coming up. I think Viciedo is a "pure hitter" too. I think of Tony Gwynn as a "pure hitter." I think of Wade Boggs as a "pure hitter."

Wasn't Sean Burroughs a pure hitter too?

So, uh, stats be damned, dude's a "pure hitter", let's get rid of the other face of the franchise for him and f*** s*** up?

Sorry, I need atleast Bailey coming back before I'd even consider any type of swap of Danks and Alonso. Guys with that type of minor league record really, really, really don't impress me.

Here's James Loney and Brett Wallace's career AAA numbers as well as their K%

Loney - .341/.394/.482/.877, 12.3%

Wallace - .306/.367/.484/.851, 19.4%

Here's Yonder Alonso

.296/.364/.478/.842, 15.9%

So, at best, he is in between them (because Wallace did that with 4 different organizations), and at worst (and probably more realistically), he is worse than those two.

And isn't James Loney a "pure hitter" too?

---

So what is a pure hitter again?

Edited by witesoxfan

per rotoworld, not really anything we haven't already heard, but news nonetheless.

Yonder Alonso - OF - Reds

Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune reports that the White Sox are interested in trading for the Reds' Yonder Alonso.

The problem is that Alonso would be blocked by Paul Konerko at first base and Adam Dunn at designated hitter, so the Sox, Rogers says, are trying to determine whether the 24-year-old is a legitimate option to play in the outfield. Either that, or they could ask Konerko to waive his no-trade clause and stick Alonso at first. The Reds would like to get a starter in exchange for Alonso, and Chicago is a fit in that regard with John Danks and Gavin Floyd available.

Related: White Sox

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 27, 2011 -> 09:59 AM)
What in the bluef*** is a "pure hitter"? Wasn't Gordon Beckham a "pure hitter"? He sure looked like one coming up. I think Viciedo is a "pure hitter" too. I think of Tony Gwynn as a "pure hitter." I think of Wade Boggs as a "pure hitter."

Wasn't Sean Burroughs a pure hitter too?

So, uh, stats be damned, dude's a "pure hitter", let's get rid of the other face of the franchise for him and f*** s*** up?

Sorry, I need atleast Bailey coming back before I'd even consider any type of swap of Danks and Alonso. Guys with that type of minor league record really, really, really don't impress me.

Here's James Loney and Brett Wallace's career AAA numbers as well as their K%

Loney - .341/.394/.482/.877, 12.3%

Wallace - .306/.367/.484/.851, 19.4%

Here's Yonder Alonso

.296/.364/.478/.842, 15.9%

So, at best, he is in between them (because Wallace did that with 4 different organizations), and at worst (and probably more realistically), he is worse than those two.

And isn't James Loney a "pure hitter" too?

---

So what is a pure hitter again?

I'd do Bailey and Alonso for Danks in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Nov 27, 2011 -> 11:23 PM)
Who are the White Sox 5 legit starters?

Danks and Floyd are legitimate starters, though I don't think either are (or will be) elite, just good/solid MLB starters.

Humber is a guy who is good to have, making no money, and having to prove that last year wasn't a fluke.

Sale isn't legit - yet - but does have good upside. Next season will be a learning year for him.

Axelrod/Stewart are just bottom of the rotation candidates, hardly legitimate.

It's hard for me to think that this team is serious about winning next season (and maybe they shouldn't be) if the don't resign Buerhle, and I'm not sure that's such a good idea given the money it will take.

I may have asked this previously, but I can't recall, but if I did I apologize.

Anyway they can lowball Danks but make the trader take Rios too? Similar to with the Marlins with Beckett and Lowell?

I guess the only real snag in that is that Danks is a FA after next season.

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 08:23 AM)
I may have asked this previously, but I can't recall, but if I did I apologize.

Anyway they can lowball Danks but make the trader take Rios too? Similar to with the Marlins with Beckett and Lowell?

I guess the only real snag in that is that Danks is a FA after next season.

Unlikely.

The biggest problem there is that you're asking any team that takes on Danks to also take on a total of ~$21 million next year and $45 million total, depending on Danks's actual arbitration number. If Danks is then resigned, you've asked that team to take on >$120 million-ish in commitments for those 2 players. That basically knocks out every team except really Boston and NY from the running; no one else has that kind of money to blow on a starter, and with CJ wilson and others on the market, cheaper and better options are available.

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 09:20 AM)
Good point.

Thanks.

The only realistic plan with Dunn, Rios, and Peavy, is to put them in the lineup next April. If somehow, any of the 3 comes out and performs well in April and May, then by the time people start making trades, it might be possible to move them without eating most of their salary. They have to be viewed as sunk costs for now; the team has committed to spend the money, anything other than "Sitting them on the bench for 3 years" that you can get for them is a bonus.

Danks and Floyd are legitimate starters, though I don't think either are (or will be) elite, just good/solid MLB starters.

Humber is a guy who is good to have, making no money, and having to prove that last year wasn't a fluke.

Sale isn't legit - yet - but does have good upside. Next season will be a learning year for him.

Axelrod/Stewart are just bottom of the rotation candidates, hardly legitimate.

It's hard for me to think that this team is serious about winning next season (and maybe they shouldn't be) if the don't resign Buerhle, and I'm not sure that's such a good idea given the money it will take.

That's kind of why I asked the question.. I see 2.5 legit starters.. 3 if Jake can stay healthy. And there are talks of moving Danks/Floyd which makes the team have less than that.

Humber, Sale.. etc, all are not legit, they are still ? marks. Humber, can he repeat early 2011 success, and can Sale be a starter in the bigs?

As for your last line.. I think they are forced to win now, with all the bad money on the books.. no one is going to come out to see the

"2012, we are in the midst of a Jim Hendry like Run" type season. We(the Fans) don't come out to watch crappy ball, and someone (meaning us) has to pay for the salaries of the hacks!