Packages that would net us a haul

Jerksticks

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 02:02 AM)
Yonder is absolutely abhorrent in LF. It's one of the primary reasons he's being shopped. He's a 1B or DH in the grand scheme of things, and he's currently blocked by Votto. I still remember Alonso's first MLB showing in left. It was against the Cubs, and he turned a Tony Campana single/double into an inside the park HR. You can view it here. Despite his defensive shortcomings, I'm a big fan of his. He can and will hit.

Campanas freaky fast, probably shoulda played that off the wall better though lol...Ill take his D in LF for a few years(until pk or dunn are gone) if it means Rios and Q are both gone and we got this awesome young, cheap, exciting team.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the final f***ing time, Rios isn't leaving this offseason unless we eat 2/3 his salary or more. We have to give him a chance to rebound next year if we want any chance in hell of moving him without completely f***ing ourselves. The good news is he still has the physical talent to be successful and can only be better next year. I actually think he'll have a nice year in 2012, as I think working with Manto should help. If he does, get him the hell out of Chicago while you can without eating any money. If he doesn't, then you look into dealing him for someone's s***ty contract, which should be easier since he'll only have two years on his deal. Both options are better than simply cutting him loose now.

As for Alonso, he's the type of prospect we should target for Danks IMO. Essentially major leage ready and with great potential, but is somewhat expendable to his current team. Without draft pick compensation, I doubt you could expect much more by trading Danks. I don't even know if the Reds would consider such a deal, but I think it's worth exploring.

Also, I think a lot of people are vastly underrating Santos. The guy has the potential to be an elite closer and is already under a club friendly contract. If he can get to that level next year, his value would be through the roof. I see absolutely no reason to trade him now, at least wait until the deadline. We could eventually get a king's ransom for him, KW just needs to be patient.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 08:19 AM)
As for Alonso, he's the type of prospect we should target for Danks IMO. Essentially major leage ready and with great potential, but is somewhat expendable to his current team. Without draft pick compensation, I doubt you could expect much more by trading Danks. I don't even know if the Reds would consider such a deal, but I think it's worth exploring.

If I were an opposing GM, I wouldn't give up anything of that level for Danks when I can go out on the free agent market, spend basically the same amount of money that it will take to extend Danks, and find similar/better pitchers.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 01:02 AM)
Yonder is absolutely abhorrent in LF. It's one of the primary reasons he's being shopped. He's a 1B or DH in the grand scheme of things, and he's currently blocked by Votto. I still remember Alonso's first MLB showing in left. It was against the Cubs, and he turned a Tony Campana single/double into an inside the park HR. You can view it here. Despite his defensive shortcomings, I'm a big fan of his. He can and will hit.

So basically we'd be trading Santos for Adam Dunn of old.

PK and Brandon Short to the Giants for Huff, Belt, and Clay Tanner

CQ to the Red Sox for Middlebrooks and Doubront

Danks to the Nats for Purke, Taylor, and Norris

Floyd to the Marlins for Ozuna and Poveda

AJP to the Rangers for Yorvit Torrealba and Luis Sardinas

Ramirez to the Braves for Salcedo, Minor, and Pastornicky

Thornton to the Yanks for Hector Noesi

2012 Lineup

C Flowers

1B Belt/Huff

2B Beckham

SS Escobar

3B Morel/Huff

RF Viciedo

CF Rios/De Aza

LF De Aza/Belt

DH Dunn/Belt/Huff

Bench

Lillibridge

Torrealba

Ozzie Martinez

Huff/Rios

SP Peavy

SP Humber

SP Stewart

SP Sale

SP Minor

CP Santos

RP Ohman

RP Frasor

RP Reed/Axelrod

RP Veal

RP Santiago/Doubront

RP Crain

Not a good team, but a lot of young guys that can contribute by 2014. Depending on some of these guys develop you can move them for more pieces. If Santos pitches like he did he first half last year you can move him for a good return and put Reed in that role.

Of course my idea of a rebuild is to burn the thing to the ground and start over, some people think we should try to compete for third in the division when we are rebuilding.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)
PK and Brandon Short to the Giants for Huff, Belt, and Clay Tanner

CQ to the Red Sox for Middlebrooks and Doubront

Danks to the Nats for Purke, Taylor, and Norris

Floyd to the Marlins for Ozuna and Poveda

AJP to the Rangers for Yorvit Torrealba and Luis Sardinas

Ramirez to the Braves for Salcedo, Minor, and Pastornicky

Thornton to the Yanks for Hector Noesi

2012 Lineup

C Flowers

1B Belt/Huff

2B Beckham

SS Escobar

3B Morel/Huff

RF Viciedo

CF Rios/De Aza

LF De Aza/Belt

DH Dunn/Belt/Huff

Bench

Lillibridge

Torrealba

Ozzie Martinez

Huff/Rios

SP Peavy

SP Humber

SP Stewart

SP Sale

SP Minor

CP Santos

RP Ohman

RP Frasor

RP Reed/Axelrod

RP Veal

RP Santiago/Doubront

RP Crain

Not a good team, but a lot of young guys that can contribute by 2014. Depending on some of these guys develop you can move them for more pieces. If Santos pitches like he did he first half last year you can move him for a good return and put Reed in that role.

Of course my idea of a rebuild is to burn the thing to the ground and start over, some people think we should try to compete for third in the division when we are rebuilding.

I'll never understand why people would put in so much work for a hypothetical situation :lol:

Reds are looking to deal Alonzo:...

Reds get:

Danks

Thornton

Sox get:

Alonzo

Daniel Renken (SP)

--

Reds Shopping Yonder Alonso For Pitching

By Mark Polishuk [November 24 at 11:31pm CST]

The Reds are offering Yonder Alonso as trade bait in their search for a closer or a No. 2 starter, reports Yahoo Sports' Tim Brown. Reds GM Walt Jocketty has spoken to several teams --- including the A's, Blue Jays, Indians and Rays --- about Alonso, though we heard earlier this week that the Reds thought Alonso was too much to give up for Oakland closer Andrew Bailey.

Alonso is regarded as Cincinnati's top hitting prospect, if one without a Major League position since Joey Votto is cemented at first base. The 24-year-old has an OPS of .837 in four minor league seasons and hit .330/.398/.545 in 98 plate appearances with the Reds last year.

If the Reds were willing to move him, you would think Alonso would be too much to deal for any closer, not just Bailey. Jocketty has said his club's top priority is finding a starting pitcher this offseason, so while the Jays and Indians have some good young arms, they wouldn't be willing to deal a top-of-the-rotation caliber of starter for which the Reds are looking. The Jays and Tribe also have other options at first base, though Adam Lind, Edwin Encarnacion and Matt LaPorta wouldn't be major obstacles if Toronto or Cleveland had a legitimate shot at Alonso. The A's and Reds might not be a match on Bailey, but Jocketty might deem possibly-available pitchers like Gio Gonzalez or Trevor Cahill worthy of moving Alonso.

The most logical match would appear to be Tampa Bay, who has a big hole at first base, lots of pitching and a need for a controllable young talent like Alonso. The Rays could offer Wade Davis or Jeff Niemann, though the Reds are more likely looking for a pitcher like James Shields. (Obviously David Price and Jeremy Hellickson are staying put.)

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 24, 2011 -> 11:51 PM)

Reds get:

Danks

Thornton

Sox get:

Alonzo

Daniel Renken (SP)

--

The Reds are offering Yonder Alonso as trade bait in their search for a closer or a No. 2 starter, reports Yahoo Sports' Tim Brown. Reds GM Walt Jocketty has spoken to several teams --- including the A's, Blue Jays, Indians and Rays --- about Alonso, though we heard earlier this week that the Reds thought Alonso was too much to give up for Oakland closer Andrew Bailey.

Alonso is regarded as Cincinnati's top hitting prospect, if one without a Major League position since Joey Votto is cemented at first base. The 24-year-old has an OPS of .837 in four minor league seasons and hit .330/.398/.545 in 98 plate appearances with the Reds last year.

If the Reds were willing to move him, you would think Alonso would be too much to deal for any closer, not just Bailey. Jocketty has said his club's top priority is finding a starting pitcher this offseason, so while the Jays and Indians have some good young arms, they wouldn't be willing to deal a top-of-the-rotation caliber of starter for which the Reds are looking. The Jays and Tribe also have other options at first base, though Adam Lind, Edwin Encarnacion and Matt LaPorta wouldn't be major obstacles if Toronto or Cleveland had a legitimate shot at Alonso. The A's and Reds might not be a match on Bailey, but Jocketty might deem possibly-available pitchers like Gio Gonzalez or Trevor Cahill worthy of moving Alonso.

The most logical match would appear to be Tampa Bay, who has a big hole at first base, lots of pitching and a need for a controllable young talent like Alonso. The Rays could offer Wade Davis or Jeff Niemann, though the Reds are more likely looking for a pitcher like James Shields. (Obviously David Price and Jeremy Hellickson are staying put.)

If he's blocked by Votto, he's still blocked by Paulie.

Unless we can get him to be a good LF.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 25, 2011 -> 12:51 AM)

Reds get:

Danks

Thornton

Sox get:

Alonzo

Daniel Renken (SP)

--

I don't get the Alonso love unless we deal Paulie...that's the only way this makes sense

QUOTE (Wanne @ Nov 25, 2011 -> 12:31 AM)
I don't get the Alonso love unless we deal Paulie...that's the only way this makes sense

Which would be a the next logical move, in that scenario? And not as difficult as it seems...

Even though he still has 15.5M owed over two years, Konerko has performed at near MVP levels in two straight years.

Ozzie's Marlins would trade for him if they miss out on Pujols, Giants, Nationals, Cardinals, Brewers. This offseason we'll see teams vying for Pujols and Fielder and many will miss out. Now's the time, more than ever, to trade Konerko

Paulie almost was traded this year to Arizona. It would be an unpopular move.But if they're serious about re-building.

Danks for Yonder Alonso , and Konerko for prospects. Makes a good bit of sense, at least financially.

Edit: Remember when we traded for Konerko he was a Red, we could have some luck with former Reds 1B types (Dunn and Alonso).

Edited by pktmotion

I'd miss Buehrle more, so I'll have no problem seeing Paulie dealt for a guy who plays a very good defensive 1B and has offensive potential for a rebuilding team. Unfortunately, I don't believe JR has the balls to sign off on such a move.

With no Konerko or Buehrle, U.S. Cellular field would be empty next year. That is the problem.

And add to that the departure of media friendly (ha) Ozzie, the addition of the much quieter Robin Ventura, plus a resurgence of a Theo Epstein - led Cubs, and the White Sox will be almost forgotten about by the general population.

I'd miss Buehrle more, so I'll have no problem seeing Paulie dealt for a guy who plays a very good defensive 1B and has offensive potential for a rebuilding team. Unfortunately, I don't believe JR has the balls to sign off on such a move.

I agree with the statement that I can't see JR doing what is needed for the long term of this team. IMO he is still thinking keeping some of the stars from what will be 7 years ago, is somehow going to get him another title.

With no Konerko or Buehrle, U.S. Cellular field would be empty next year. That is the problem.

And add to that the departure of media friendly (ha) Ozzie, the addition of the much quieter Robin Ventura, plus a resurgence of a Theo Epstein - led Cubs, and the White Sox will be almost forgotten about by the general population.

No single player is keeping Fans going to the park.. Winning is. The Sox don't win, fans stay home.

And with Theo and the brass on the NorthSide, I think the Sox have a 3-4 year window to right this sinking ship, after that.. Theo lead Cubs winning teams, the Sox don't stand a chance.

I guess my take is IF you could find a trading partner for Paulie (and he agrees to it) it would probably be in the best interest for the future of this team...as much as I would hate seeing him go.

As for trades...I just saw that the Halos are looking for a catcher. How ironic would that be if AJ went to them. As for dealing Danks...I'm on the fence on this one. The probability for MB leaving and all...this staff would truly need an "ace-type" pitcher and this would leave the cupboard pretty bare. Although he'd command a greater haul IMO...I'd really have to be almost overwhelmed with the return.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Nov 25, 2011 -> 01:50 PM)
No single player is keeping Fans going to the park.. Winning is. The Sox don't win, fans stay home.

And with Theo and the brass on the NorthSide, I think the Sox have a 3-4 year window to right this sinking ship, after that.. Theo lead Cubs winning teams, the Sox don't stand a chance.

I'm not saying that the Sox shouldn't trade Konerko. I'm just saying that trading him would alienate a lot of fans.

And like I've said before, I'm not all that certain that the golden boy on the north side is going to bring them a championship during his reign. He might make them better, and bring them publicity...but winning it all? I wouldn't bet on it.

Edited by Chet Kincaid

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/padr...r-scouting.html

The Padres have Carlos Quentin "on their list of possibilities" for an offseason trade, reports Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune. It seems like a good match, given that the White Sox are thought to have Quentin on the market and the Padres are looking for a corner outfielder. Center mentions elsewhere in his chat with readers that given the Padres' difficulty in luring free agent hitters to Petco Park, a trade would be the club's best chance to add that desired corner outfield help.

Quentin has posted a .257/.352/.505 line over the last four seasons in Chicago, though it remains to be seen how his bat and his glove (a career UZR/150 of -9.3, though this metric also shows Quentin was an above-average defensive right fielder in 2011) would play in spacious Petco Park. If Quentin was acquired, he and Cameron Maybin would play every day, with Center including Chris Denorfia, Jesus Guzman, Kyle Blanks, Mark Kotsay and Will Venable all in the mix at the other corner outfield spot.

Is there something I'm missing with Alonso that make people think he is a super stud of a player? I've honestly never been a huge fan of his and much of that has to do with his career .837 OPS in the minors. I get that, sometimes, power takes a little bit of time to develop, but that is still not hugely impressive for a guy who people hold in such high regard. Sure, he killed the ball in the majors last year, but he had fewer plate appearances than Viciedo did. He has a lot working for him - good walk and contact rates, decent power - but I'm just not seeing this superstar that everyone else is. I'd compare him to Billy Butler, but Butler did a hell of a lot more with the same things working for him in the minors. He seems like a 1-4 WAR player (depending a lot on his defensive value), which obviously has its value when it's cost controlled, but I'm not sure it's something we should be gushing about. There's surely value there but not unless the Sox are willing to make some incredibly bold steps in the direction of rebuilding.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Nov 26, 2011 -> 12:05 PM)
Alonso is tempting, but I am only for trading pitching for pitching..................

Why?

Right now, we have 5 legit starters and more relievers than we have room for, in addition to a couple borderline guys like Stewart and Axelrod who are long term who-knows, but the hitting talent in our org is completely bare.