Packages that would net us a haul

Jerksticks

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 09:28 AM)
The only realistic plan with Dunn, Rios, and Peavy, is to put them in the lineup next April. If somehow, any of the 3 comes out and performs well in April and May, then by the time people start making trades, it might be possible to move them without eating most of their salary. They have to be viewed as sunk costs for now; the team has committed to spend the money, anything other than "Sitting them on the bench for 3 years" that you can get for them is a bonus.

I agree with Peavy being movable given that he is a free agent at the end of the season. Someone who really needs a bat may call for Rios (San Fran?) but I doubt it, sadly.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 09:23 AM)
I agree with Peavy being movable given that he is a free agent at the end of the season. Someone who really needs a bat may call for Rios (San Fran?) but I doubt it, sadly.

He'll have to be Cy Peavy to be movable this year without the Sox picking up money. The guy is getting $18 million his year, plus he has a massive buyout coming after this season. Even if you get him at the midpoint of this season, we are talking about 12ish million dollars for half of a season.

I don't see it happening.

The only realistic plan with Dunn, Rios, and Peavy, is to put them in the lineup next April. If somehow, any of the 3 comes out and performs well in April and May, then by the time people start making trades, it might be possible to move them without eating most of their salary. They have to be viewed as sunk costs for now; the team has committed to spend the money, anything other than "Sitting them on the bench for 3 years" that you can get for them is a bonus.

That plan sounds great in theory, but if the 3 actually have normal them type seasons.. The Sox should be in the hunt of the playoffs, do you realistic see Kenny making a trade that takes away from the team, in 2012, for the greater good of beyond? In 11 years he has failed to do so. I don't see him doing it now. The Sox are stuck with those 3 until their contracts run out.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 09:27 AM)
That plan sounds great in theory, but if the 3 actually have normal them type seasons.. The Sox should be in the hunt of the playoffs, do you realistic see Kenny making a trade that takes away from the team, in 2012, for the greater good of beyond? In 11 years he has failed to do so. I don't see him doing it now. The Sox are stuck with those 3 until their contracts run out.

Evidently you missed last year and the Edwin Jackson deal?

Getting past that silliness even, how many teams have subtracted contributing players while they were "in it"? I'd like to see some examples.

As would I, and that's my point... If the 3 have great seasons.. aka normal season to their standards.. The Sox should be legit playoff team, I don't see Kenny making any move.. aka, JR approving any trade that takes away from the team for the long term greater good. So Balta statement IMO is a great theory, not based in reality, of how we can possibly dump those guys.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 10:46 AM)
As would I, and that's my point... If the 3 have great seasons.. aka normal season to their standards.. The Sox should be legit playoff team, I don't see Kenny making any move.. aka, JR approving any trade that takes away from the team for the long term greater good. So Balta statement IMO is a great theory, not based in reality, of how we can possibly dump those guys.

Then the only thing that is going to happen is we're going to pay out their contracts unless they retire, so we may as well get ourselves ready to see them in the lineup.

Move #1

Sergio Santos and Gavin Floyd to the Reds for Yonder Alonso and Yasmani Grandal.

Move #2

Matt Thornton, John Danks and cash to the Yankees for Dellin Betances and Austin Romine

Move #3

Carlos Quentin, Jesse Crain and cash to the Padres for Luke Gregerson and Ernesto Frieri

Move #4

Yonder Alonso and Dellin Betances to Rays for Matt Moore

Move #5

AJ Pierzynski and Cash to the Dodgers for Allen Webster

Move #6

Re-sign Buehrle 3 years $42m

Starting Rotation

Mark Buehrle

Jake Peavy

Matt Moore

Phil Humber

Chris Sale

Bullpen

Jason Frasor

Will Ohman

Luke Gregerson

Ernesto Frieri

Dylan Axelrod

Zach Stewart

Addison Reed

Lineup

LF De Aza

2B Beckham

DH Dunn

1B Konerko

SS Ramirez

CF Rios

RF Viciedo

C Flowers

3B Morel

Bench

Austin Romine

Brent Lillibridge

Ozzie Martinez

Minors

Yasmani Grandal

Overview

We shed about $22m from the payroll and cut ticket prices 10% more.

Tell me how much you love this plan now.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 2, 2011 -> 04:25 PM)
Ha, I was following you through #1 and #2. Was trying to figure out how #3 made sense at all for the Padres, who just lost Heath Bell, and then I started laughing when Matt Moore got involved.

Crain is they're new closer

Thought I'd give this offseason a shot...

Gavin Floyd and Matt Thornton to CIN for Homer Bailey(SP) and Yonder Alonso(1B)

John Danks to TEX for Derek Holland(SP) and Erik Morrison(2B)

Paul Konerko to PIT for Garrett Jones(1B/RF) and Rudy Owens(SP)

CF Alejandro De Aza

SS Alexei Ramirez

DH Carlos Quentin

1B Adam Dunn

RF Alex Rios

2B Gordon Beckham

C AJ Pierzynski

LF Dayan Viciedo

3B Brent Morel

Bench: Flowers, Alonso, Jones, Lillibridge

Jake Peavy

Derek Holland

Homer Bailey

Chris Sale

Phil Humber

Rudy Owens

Zach Stewart

Donnie Veal

Dylan Axelrod

Will Ohman

Jason Frasor

Jesse Crain

Addison Reed

Sergio Santos

Edited by pktmotion

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Dec 3, 2011 -> 05:25 AM)
Thought I'd give this offseason a shot...

John Danks to TEX for Derek Holland(SP) and Erik Morrison(2B)

This is the second time I've seen this proposed. As I asked the first person, what single rational reason would the Rangers trade Derek Holland for John Danks? Holland might be Danks' equal right now. And he's a WHOLE lot cheaper and under control for a WHOLE lot longer. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 3, 2011 -> 09:41 AM)
This is the second time I've seen this proposed. As I asked the first person, what single rational reason would the Rangers trade Derek Holland for John Danks? Holland might be Danks' equal right now. And he's a WHOLE lot cheaper and under control for a WHOLE lot longer. Makes no sense whatsoever.

The only thing that makes sense is that Holland is under control for cheap and really, that's all that needs to make sense. Danks is better than Holland though (hell Danks just had his worst season since his rookie year and still put up a better WHIP, while both playing at hitters parks. Danks is an old f*** compared to Holland as well... he and his one year oldness) but both have a ton of similarities in their numbers however. It wouldn't make sense for Texas in that regard (even if Danks was a guaranteed re-sign over there), but I always thought they had a soft spot for Danks who is homegrown and who they helped develop (that DVD rotation I remember was the s*** back in their old farm days). I doubt they trade Holland in any case however. Depends on what Texas believes what Danks can become. (or pretty much... if they view him as high as I do down the line)

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 3, 2011 -> 09:59 AM)
The only thing that makes sense is that Holland is under control for cheap and really, that's all that needs to make sense. Danks is better than Holland though (hell Danks just had his worst season since his rookie year and still put up a better WHIP, while both playing at hitters parks. Danks is an old f*** compared to Holland as well... he and his one year oldness) but both have a ton of similarities in their numbers however. It wouldn't make sense for Texas in that regard (even if Danks was a guaranteed re-sign over there), but I always thought they had a soft spot for Danks who is homegrown and who they helped develop (that DVD rotation I remember was the s*** back in their old farm days). I doubt they trade Holland in any case however. Depends on what Texas believes what Danks can become. (or pretty much... if they view him as high as I do down the line)

Their career paths have been rather similar. Both got their asses kicked pretty good initially (Danks in '07, Holland in '09). Danks came back with a great '08 (his career year) and had been pretty steady until last year. Holland was flashing considerable improvement in 2010 before he got injured. '11 was his 'breakout' year so to speak. Even if Danks is better right now, it's certainly not by much. And like you said, the money/team control difference makes this proposal moot. It's just not going to happen.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 3, 2011 -> 09:41 AM)

Because Texas was going to do Danks-for-Holland last year.