Packages that would net us a haul

Jerksticks

I read that quote from KW about some team surprising him with a proposal the other day, and it got me thinking about potential packages teams would be interested in as opposed to "Quentin for x, Floyd for x, Danks for x" etc.

Off the top of my head what would a package like Floyd, Thornton and Quentin get us from a contender?

IMO, this is the type of deal we might see this winter; not a blow up but a real shake up that nets us some legit pieces.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 16, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)
Danks and Santos to the Rangers could bring back quite a bit. A ton of possibilities if they are truly rebuilding.

Sure would be nice to send this package to the NL. I think most of the guys we are talking about trading would be more appealing to contenders considering the contract situations. We need to find the team that wants to go ALL IN next year.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 16, 2011 -> 12:37 PM)
Sure would be nice to send this package to the NL. I think most of the guys we are talking about trading would be more appealing to contenders considering the contract situations. We need to find the team that wants to go ALL IN next year.

Um, that does sound like a decent description of the Rangers.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 16, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)
Trading Santos is so dumb, you dont trade a cost controlled player if you are rebuilding.

If you're genuinely rebuilding, and you get an offer befitting the price of a legit, top of the line closer, then that's a move more worth considering.

You don't trade a cost controlled player...unless you happen to have other players who can also fill that role, and right now we have at least 2 cost controlled players and 1 expensive veteran who might get considered closers.

If KW is saying the word "Rebuilding", then you at least listen.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 16, 2011 -> 01:30 PM)
Or you do what you should do and expect the exact opposite.

In this case, there's a certain response by the rest of the league to hearing the Sox say that word, where I think there's some believability to it.

On a normal day I wouldn't think to call KW and ask about Santos or Konerko or Alexei. The day after he says "Rebuilding", if I need one of those positions that would seem otherwise untouchable, I'm putting in the call.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 16, 2011 -> 01:29 PM)
I still think CQ makes sense for the Braves. Something centered around a Beachy/Minor/Delgado type would make sense. Really, I think they may be a bit down on Vizcaino too.

Is CQ a FA after 2012? If so, he's gonna be one motivated dude to get his 1 payday. This year is his shot at the riches.

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 12:49 AM)
Quentin & Danks for Brett Gardner & prospects.

Since you didn't name the prospects or even qualify them as "2 top 10", then I assume Brett Gardner is the centerpiece...I then slowly swallow back the little bit of vomit that just came up.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 01:32 AM)
Not sure I'll ever truly understand the love Brett Gardner gets from some people.

Great defensive OF, great base stealer, takes a lot of walks, has "some" power, leadoff hitter, is under team control for 4 more years I believe.

His only drawback, as far as I can tell, is that he doesn't hit for a great average, but he takes a enough walks that he still has a pretty good OBP. If he can get his AVG up to .280ish, he could definitely put together a .400 OBP and steal 50+ bases.

Do want.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 02:15 AM)
Great defensive OF, great base stealer, takes a lot of walks, has "some" power, leadoff hitter, is under team control for 4 more years I believe.

His only drawback, as far as I can tell, is that he doesn't hit for a great average, but he takes a enough walks that he still has a pretty good OBP. If he can get his AVG up to .280ish, he could definitely put together a .400 OBP and steal 50+ bases.

Do want.

He's like Juan Pierre in his prime. Except his OBP is better.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 16, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
Haven't heard anyone mention this, but Danks makes sense in Cincinatti, and Grandal/Alonso are burning holes in Jocketty's pockets. I don't know where we'd stick Alonso, but Grandal would be nice.

KW was every high on both of these guys when they were drafted, your logic makes some sense.