Sergio Santos traded to Toronto

Steve9347

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 02:30 PM)
Instantly our best SP prospect

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 02:31 PM)
And very young. This is good stuff.

A solid single double-A level prospect is not a good return for an MLB level reliever when you figure reasonable bust rates. This trade could work out well but that's still a very poor return for an MLB-level player.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:33 PM)
A solid single double-A level prospect is not a good return for an MLB level reliever when you figure reasonable bust rates. This trade could work out well but that's still a very poor return for an MLB-level player.

I agree that we should have gotten another spect, especially one that this scout likes, but Molina was recently rated as the #2 prospect in their system, which is highly regarded.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:17 PM)
Sounds like KW has a list of prospects from around the league that he really likes, and it basing his trade negotiations off that list. It almost seems like he's calling teams saying "How can I get Prospect X? Anything is on the table."

I absolutely adore this strategy given the current situation.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 06:35 PM)
With closers at a premium, we could have got more. Since we are rebuilding now, getting 1 prospect for your most marketable major league player, is not admirable and typical Williams. Now that we are rebuilding, I don't want him on the construction site.

There's a lot of options out there for teams with regards to closers (Madson, Street, Bailey)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
Wow, that is an awful return.

Amen. A proven closer at, what, $2.5M/yr over the next 3, plus team options for the following 3? And we get a single prospect back? Nestor's numbers look great but he hasn't thrown but a few innings in AA, albeit quality innings.

Seems to me giving up a capable closer under control for (how long) for a player who has never pitched about AA is a bit of a stretch. Could another prospect have been obtained, maybe not as highly regarded, but another one to at least help with our farm system depth?

This appears an overpayment for a player who is 22 years old who has 24 innings total about the A level.

I am not shedding tears over moving Santos, but I thought we could have gotten more.

From Keith Law: "The White Sox, on the other hand, get an extreme control right-hander without much of a breaking ball who could be a dominant two-pitch reliever, but is probably a year away from seriously contributing in the majors...Molina is a good prospect, probably the best now in a fallow White Sox system, but the return seems a little light for a major-league reliever signed to a very affordable three-year deal."

Hooray! Trading a major league reliever...for what looks to be another major league reliever. Let the rebuilding start!

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 01:40 PM)
I'd say KW thinks he just got a future all-star caliber pitcher - his stuff certainly sounds that good.

148 Ks:18 BBs is unbelievable.

His numbers remind me of De Los Santos from A ball. And we see what happened to him...traded away and now where? A player with limited AA innings just isn't that 'sure of a thing'. Santos should have brought more than this.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:42 PM)
From Keith Law: "The White Sox, on the other hand, get an extreme control right-hander without much of a breaking ball who could be a dominant two-pitch reliever, but is probably a year away from seriously contributing in the majors...Molina is a good prospect, probably the best now in a fallow White Sox system, but the return seems a little light for a major-league reliever signed to a very affordable three-year deal."

Hooray! Trading a major league reliever...for what looks to be another major league reliever. Let the rebuilding start!

hooray for basing your opinion on anything Keith Law has to say.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:42 PM)

Dude, it's Keith Law talking about a White Sox-Blue Jays trade, wtf do you think he's going to say?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 01:42 PM)
Supposedly this Molina kid has a plus splitter, and if you combine that with excellent command than yea, you have a potential all-star pitcher.

I agree.

Sincerely,

Fautino De Los Santos

--

Seriously, forget this all star talk...this is a kid with ZERO experience above AA level. If he actually plays major league baseball for the White Sox in a middle relief role I'll be pleased.

"All Star Starter" is certainly the ceiling, but given how fickle prospect development is I wouldn't hold my breath.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 06:41 PM)
Amen. A proven closer at, what, $2.5M/yr over the next 3, plus team options for the following 3? And we get a single prospect back? Nestor's numbers look great but he hasn't thrown but a few innings in AA, albeit quality innings.

I wouldn't say Santos is a proven closer yet. He had one of the highest ERAs for a closer in the majors.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)
I'd say KW thinks he just got a future all-star caliber pitcher - his stuff certainly sounds that good.

148 Ks:18 BBs is unbelievable.

Ok this needs to be said. Stop looking at minor league stats. Now. They're highly unreliable. Most kids in the minors swing and miss a ton and have never been coached on working counts.