2011-2012 NBA Season Thread

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Felix @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 05:04 PM)
So you don't like advanced stats in basketball because you don't understand them? Ever think about educating yourself on them? They're very interesting (albeit not perfected). A 7.8 TRB% just means that Rubio grabs 1 out of every 13 or so rebounds. That doesn't seem like a particularly large number at all for most players (i.e. forwards), but for a point guard it's pretty good.

Also, Rubio isn't expected to be a scorer because that's not his style of play. He's a pass first player and always will be. However, he will control the game (and has already shown that this season).

Don't turn into a prick towards me and question my education. I like Rubio's game and I know what total rebound percentage is. It's simple math. How many of his rebounds are long rebounds? Or are they mostly in the paint where not a lot of guards go on the defensive end? Gray area. If sabermetrics in basketball meant much, you would see them used in the media and box scores more. I'm sure Maya Moore just kills all sabermetric categories and that is why you want to hang onto it.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 06:03 PM)
Don't turn into a prick towards me and question my education. I like Rubio's game and I know what total rebound percentage is. It's simple math.

That's all I said.

How many of his rebounds are long rebounds? Or are they mostly in the paint where not a lot of guards go on the defensive end? Gray area.

You didn't say any of this in your initial post. You said you don't like advanced basketball stats because 7.8 TRB% sounded like a big number, but he really only averages 4.4 per game. That basic math you talked about shows that 7.8 TRB% really isn't all that large a number, which is contrary to your initial post said. What you just brought up is a perfectly reasonable complaints, but it wasn't initially expressed in your post.

If sabermetrics in basketball meant much, you would see them used in the media and box scores more.

Would you agree that sabermetrics in baseball means quite a bit these days? You still don't see them on box scores and most media still doesn't fully use them. There are SABR friendly media members and box scores, but they aren't widespread. Same thing in basketball, except it's a few years behind the progress that baseball has made. I mean s***, one of ESPN's biggest analysts is completely stat based.

I'm sure Maya Moore just kills all sabermetric categories and that is why you want to hang onto it.

This is honestly one of the laziest WNBA jokes possible. If you're going to take a cheap shot at me, could you at least put more than two seconds into it?

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 08:37 PM)
The Bulls have no one who can contend with Nash, he has 24 and 8. Other than that, Phoenix is one of the worst teams out there.

They have to trade Nash this year to a contender. Give him a shot at a ring. Maybe Lakers?