2012 Films Thread

knightni

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 6, 2012 -> 12:35 PM)
Caught Ides of March and Planet of the Apes this weekend. Same review for both - well done, entertaining, but ultimately the ending was unsatisfying. Solid "B."

I was really looking forward to "Ides of March," but was also left a little underwhelmed. Good movie, worth seeing, but nothing special.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the consensus on Chronicle from those who have seen it?

Sorry, late to the thread after 3 weeks travelling.

Seems to be a director with a ton of promise who operated without CGI but managed to jam in about 5-10 "how the hell did they do that?" moments. The last half of the movie...felt like a superhero becomes villain story arch. If nothing else, it was very creative and original, and blows much more expensive flicks like I Am Number 4 or Percy Jackson out of the water.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 04:03 PM)
What's the consensus on Chronicle from those who have seen it?

Sorry, late to the thread after 3 weeks travelling.

Seems to be a director with a ton of promise who operated without CGI but managed to jam in about 5-10 "how the hell did they do that?" moments. The last half of the movie...felt like a superhero becomes villain story arch. If nothing else, it was very creative and original, and blows much more expensive flicks like I Am Number 4 or Percy Jackson out of the water.

My big issue with it is it seemed very rushed once everything started to go towards a darker path. They also don't explain a lot of things and makes me wonder if there is going to be a sequel and what possibly could they do besides a similar story all over again.

I rewatched X-MEN: FIRST CLASS last night. It holds up pretty well. I'd say it's easily the best X-Men movie aside from X2. Matthew Vaughn has signed on to direct a sequel, which makes me happy. THE WOLVERINE seems to be shaping up nicely too. I like that they are willing continue multiple franchises in the same continuity but different time periods simultaneously.

QUOTE (mumbles3k @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 10:16 PM)
I rewatched X-MEN: FIRST CLASS last night. It holds up pretty well. I'd say it's easily the best X-Men movie aside from X2. Matthew Vaughn has signed on to direct a sequel, which makes me happy. THE WOLVERINE seems to be shaping up nicely too. I like that they are willing continue multiple franchises in the same continuity but different time periods simultaneously.

So a Sequel to Xo is likely to happen? I would pay to see that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 07:40 AM)
So a Sequel to Xo is likely to happen? I would pay to see that.

All of the main characters from First Class are signed on for a 3 picture deal IIRC. Wolverine I am very skeptical about, that is a tentpole franchise that has been totally ham-handed the entire way. I watch that Wolverine movie and still wonder if the director ever read a Wolverine comic or if they just watched the 90s XMen cartoon. Fox has this intensely brutal, animalistic character that they are turning into a love-lost sappy action hero.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 10:09 AM)
All of the main characters from First Class are signed on for a 3 picture deal IIRC. Wolverine I am very skeptical about, that is a tentpole franchise that has been totally ham-handed the entire way. I watch that Wolverine movie and still wonder if the director ever read a Wolverine comic or if they just watched the 90s XMen cartoon. Fox has this intensely brutal, animalistic character that they are turning into a love-lost sappy action hero.

Yeah, I wouldn't pay to see a "Wolverine" sequel, and I didn't pay to see the last one, so I totally get where you're coming from on that one, I just really enjoyed the Fassbender/McAvoy version and thought that was really well done.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 09:10 AM)
Yeah, I wouldn't pay to see a "Wolverine" sequel, and I didn't pay to see the last one, so I totally get where you're coming from on that one, I just really enjoyed the Fassbender/McAvoy version and thought that was really well done.

I really enjoyed First class as well. My only criticisms are very minor. I wasnt a fan of the CGI for Beasts face, and i thought that Azazel was tremendously underused, especially towards the end. Everything else I really enjoyed

QUOTE (mumbles3k @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 11:20 AM)
I hated the first Wolverine movie too, but this new one is from the writer of THE USUAL SUSPECTS and the director of KNIGHT AND DAY. That seems like a pretty competent combination. Still wish Darren Aronofsky would've stuck around, though.

I wouldnt use Knight and Day as my selling point, lol

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 09:09 AM)

Yeah, it's pretty woeful. Wolverine was such a comic badass. What they could do with the Magneto/Adamantium ripping storyline... space travel, everything, it would be tight. Or at least give us an actual badass Wolverine movie with him hucking around Canada and dealing with his demons (and bar fights, lots of bar fights).

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 12:37 PM)
Yeah, it's pretty woeful. Wolverine was such a comic badass. What they could do with the Magneto/Adamantium ripping storyline... space travel, everything, it would be tight. Or at least give us an actual badass Wolverine movie with him hucking around Canada and dealing with his demons (and bar fights, lots of bar fights).

I actually think the best Wolverine moment we have had was his cameo in first class when he told Magneto and Prof X to f*** off when they found him in the bar drinking.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 11:29 AM)
I wouldnt use Knight and Day as my selling point, lol

I've never understood why people don't like that movie. It's funny, has some good performances, and the action set pieces are choreographed exceptionally well. I've seen it twice, and it holds up.

But if you take out Knight and Day, we're left with Walk the Line and 3:10 to Yuma, both of which were crap. So I don't know...

QUOTE (mumbles3k @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 05:56 PM)
I've never understood why people don't like that movie. It's funny, has some good performances, and the action set pieces are choreographed exceptionally well. I've seen it twice, and it holds up.

But if you take out Knight and Day, we're left with Walk the Line and 3:10 to Yuma, both of which were crap. So I don't know...

Sorry you liked it, I thought it was terrible. Walk the Line was good, so was 3:10 to Yuma, I thought Kate and leopold was awful, Cop Land was meh.

Hopefully he surprises me and it is good, I certainly don't want it to suck.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 06:19 PM)
Sorry you liked it, I thought it was terrible. Walk the Line was good, so was 3:10 to Yuma, I thought Kate and leopold was awful, Cop Land was meh.

Hopefully he surprises me and it is good, I certainly don't want it to suck.

I love three of those movies (Kate And Leopold obviously being the one I don't).

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 09:09 AM)

I liked the Wolverine movie and thought First Class was s***, but I don't read comics so I didn't have demands for the story. The Wolverine movie was the best story of the mediocre X-Men film series so far.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 09:47 PM)
I liked the Wolverine movie and thought First Class was s***, but I don't read comics so I didn't have demands for the story. The Wolverine movie was the best story of the mediocre X-Men film series so far.

Ouch

X2

First Class

X-Men

Last Stand

Wolverine

I watched STAR WARS: EPISODE I - THE PHANTOM MENACE in 3D. They did a pretty good job with it. The action sequences and landscapes look nice. Closeups are a bit of a problem. These converters need to tone it down when it comes to people faces. There's just not that much dimensionality if you're not in an extreme closeup. But on the whole, I'd recommend it. Just seeing a Star Wars movie on the big screen is worth it.

I also saw SAFE HOUSE. That movie is a mess. It wants so badly to be a Bourne movie. Unfortunately, it lacks things like intelligence, a cohesive visual style, and an interesting narrative structure. So that leaves impossible to follow action sequences, and lots of people pointing guns at each other. Sorry, not enough to sustain 2 hours.