Another White Sox / Blue Jays trade on the horizon?

striker

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 03:45 PM)
Huh, I do not think JR is cheap at all. I also think you are agreeing with me. My point is that I am fine with the Sox staying the course and hoping players progress on a career path not throw more money at it. I have no issue with the players moved this off season. The media has no story on the Sox this off season so they are pretending like theo is baseball jesus.

Well, then I completely and totally misunderstood you. I redact the previous post from the internet.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 03:46 PM)
I want Syndergaard really badly, but I'm not sure of how much of it is because I think he's good and how much of it is because I want to get a shirt with his name on the back.

The Jays have so many promising pitching prospects to choose from in addition to Deck. Hutchinson, Syndergaard, Cardona, Nicolino, Sanchez, Wojo, Jenkins, and Osuna. I really hope a deal gets done.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 03:48 PM)
The Jays have so many promising pitching prospects to choose from in addition to Deck. Hutchinson, Syndergaard, Cardona, Nicolino, Sanchez, Wojo, Jenkins, and Osuna. I really hope a deal gets done.

Deck isn't even the best one, right?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 03:57 PM)
Deck isn't even the best one, right?

I don't think he's the best one. Probably the safest one, but without huge upside. The Jays just have a huge glut of "B" pitching prospects, a few with "A" upside. Syndergaard is one of those. Sickels has Deck their 4th best pitching prospect behind Syndergaard, Nicolino, and Norris.

If Kenny could get Deck and Hutchinson for Gavin, I would be elated.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 03:42 PM)
FarrellBall FARRELL BALL

#Jays are still interested; Just don't want to give up Nicolino or Syndengaard along with Deck RT @FarrellBall Anything more on Floyd?

I can't help myself I keep checking this guys tweets because I love the Blue Jay's pitching prospects. If the Sox got an offer for any two of McGuire, Nicolino, Syndengaard or even Drabek, I would take it.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 10:54 AM)
Unfortunately I still think the Sox have a solid team and the move I pointed out serves two purposes makes the current team stronger and builds for the future.

If Jackson wants to come back to Chicago I think there are ways to get it done.

I also think there are four guys that know the White Sox budget and none of them write for a living.

I would be willing to bet my life savings that the sox will open this year with a payroll right around $100M, give or take a few million bucks. Every single thing any representative of the sox, or any writer, or any move the sox have made all points to one direction, a lower payroll of around $100M. There is no one else to move, there is no one else to acquire and we are at $103M like I said. The sox have lowered season ticket prices by about 20%, usually we see ticket price increases/decreases proportional to the amount at which payroll increases/decreases. There are no indications to think my statement that keys in on a $100M major league payroll are erroneous in any way shape and form. You can wait for official word and opening day reports, and Ill use intuition, logic, and facts to deduce a reasonable answer in the meantime.

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 03:46 PM)
I want Syndergaard really badly, but I'm not sure of how much of it is because I think he's good and how much of it is because I want to get a shirt with his name on the back.

That name is right out of Skyrim.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 04:12 PM)
I would be willing to bet my life savings that the sox will open this year with a payroll right around $100M, give or take a few million bucks. Every single thing any representative of the sox, or any writer, or any move the sox have made all points to one direction, a lower payroll of around $100M. There is no one else to move, there is no one else to acquire and we are at $103M like I said. The sox have lowered season ticket prices by about 20%, usually we see ticket price increases/decreases proportional to the amount at which payroll increases/decreases. There are no indications to think my statement that keys in on a $100M major league payroll are erroneous in any way shape and form. You can wait for official word and opening day reports, and Ill use intuition, logic, and facts to deduce a reasonable answer in the meantime.

You do realize we are at or very close to 100 million now and are in talks with at least three expensive Cubans right?

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 03:45 PM)
I love Syndergaard. Not surprised the Jays want to hold on to him.

Why does anyone believe anything this twitter account posts? He already said the trade was a done deal, then said the Sox had medical concerns then said Toronto ownership nixed the deal because they don't want to add payroll. Of course Paul Beeston said Rogers has never said no for that reason. He's just throwing crap out there.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 06:00 PM)
Why does anyone believe anything this twitter account posts? He already said the trade was a done deal, then said the Sox had medical concerns then said Toronto ownership nixed the deal because they don't want to add payroll. Of course Paul Beeston said Rogers has never said no for that reason. He's just throwing crap out there.

I don't think anyone is taking what this guy is saying for fact. Speculation is fun though during a slow winter for a quasi-rebuilding ballclub. As far as the Jays valuing Syndergaard highly, it was also mentioned by credible sources that the Jays weren't willing to package him as part of the Gio or Latos trades.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 04:12 PM)

Floyd

Thornton

Crain

Ohman

AJ

Any of those guys could easily be sold to the highest bidder before the season still, particularly Floyd and Matty.

Those are the five top candidates, along with Peavy and possibly Konerko or Alexei in the unlikely case of a disastrous 36-56 start and abysmal attendance numbers.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 19, 2012 -> 04:35 PM)
You do realize we are at or very close to 100 million now and are in talks with at least three expensive Cubans right?

I would love to see them signed, perhaps their contracts can be signed in a such a way as they dont count for 2012 major league payroll, perhaps if they are signed the white sox have to move someone to stay withing budget, but I am sticking to all signed point for $100M. If they move someone in the meantime and get below, like Thornton or Floyd then so be it, but my claim is that they have $100M set for payroll expidenditures this year.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jan 20, 2012 -> 04:36 PM)
I would love to see them signed, perhaps their contracts can be signed in a such a way as they dont count for 2012 major league payroll, perhaps if they are signed the white sox have to move someone to stay withing budget, but I am sticking to all signed point for $100M. If they move someone in the meantime and get below, like Thornton or Floyd then so be it, but my claim is that they have $100M set for payroll expidenditures this year.

Jerry Reinsdorf has expanded the payroll before and gotten burned, so I think you are right. If the Sox sign Cespedes i'll be very surprised, I think Soler has the better price tag and fits our off-season direction of getting younger. Wouldn't be shocked to see Floyd or Thornton go along with a Cuban signing.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 09:01 PM)
Oswalt is expected to get $7-9 million, that's pretty similar to Gavin's deal, and then there's the $9.5 million option on Floyd for 2013.

It's not as simple as that. Since the White Sox aren't anywhere near paying a luxury tax, I don't know a damn thing about it. But people keep noting that Floyd's cap hit is only $3.75 million and they all seem to indicate he would fit and Oswalt would not. Some financial gymnastics going on. Some of it having to do with how Scutaro's deal was structured as well.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 09:01 PM)
Oswalt is expected to get $7-9 million, that's pretty similar to Gavin's deal, and then there's the $9.5 million option on Floyd for 2013.

Gavin would only count 3.75 million towards the luxury cap, which would fit boston under the cap. it's the aav of the contract that goes against the cap

Edited by sox win

QUOTE (sox win @ Jan 23, 2012 -> 09:08 PM)
Gavin would only count 3.75 million towards the luxury cap, which would fit boston under the cap. it's the aav of the contract that goes against the cap

Does it work that way in baseball? I have never seen that said before. Do you have a link?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2012 -> 07:37 AM)
Does it work that way in baseball? I have never seen that said before. Do you have a link?

That being the case, according to a team source, the Sox still have money left in their budget to pursue a starting pitcher, whether through free agency or the trade market. Roy Oswalt remains available and in search of a one-year deal, reportedly in the $8 million range. A trade candidate such as White Sox right-hander Gavin Floyd (who will earn $7 million next year but whose four-year, $15.5 million deal means he represents just a $3.875 million salary for luxury tax purposes) would certainly fit the team’s budget.

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball...s-means-red-sox