Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 11:38 AM)
Yes, but they are being told over and over dont do this, dont do that, and their consequence is losing their scholarship and possibly their future either in pro ball or in another career. There is risk there and they are made very aware of it. There is no way you cannot fault these players for that.

Everyone faces those choices. You know the rules, and if you choose to break them, even if someone is tempting you, it is your own damned fault.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 11:42 AM)
Well I will say if they get caught while they're still in school, I really lack sympathy for them. They know the risks when taking benefits, and if you get caught, it's part of the deal. But for someone like Devin Hester, he got his benefits, made it big in the NFL, and this will have no impact on him at all. As far as I'm concerned, he has nothing to apologize for.

What would make things really interesting is if schools started suing these athletes and coaches for damages to their programs. If Miami gets kicked out of bowl games for years, for example, what is the financial impact to the school? Or someone like Tressel at OSU? I am surprised no one has ever tried going after someone with deep pockets like a Reggie Bush or Jim Tressel.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 17, 2011 -> 01:01 PM)
What would make things really interesting is if schools started suing these athletes and coaches for damages to their programs. If Miami gets kicked out of bowl games for years, for example, what is the financial impact to the school? Or someone like Tressel at OSU? I am surprised no one has ever tried going after someone with deep pockets like a Reggie Bush or Jim Tressel.

I'm sure that's covered somewhere in those agreements they sign

Yeah schools really want to bring players into court and ask them about illegal benefits under oath. Someone in the school knows its going on and its going to become a circus.

Not to mention youd need a liquidated damage clause at minimum because no way you can prove what the economic impact was for each player. If 100 athletes did wrong, how do I apportion the damages to each of them?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 12:20 PM)
Anybody watch Kafka last night for the Eagles? Looked damn good to me. I was kind of pissed when the broadcasters said his upside isnt as good as Vince Young's, havent we already seen Vince's upside and it wasnt that great?

Yea Kafka looked decent, and people need to give up the Vince Young dream, the guy stinks. I couldn't believe that someone actually gave him 5 million bucks this year and that he is being counted as one of the Eagles "big" acquisitions. If Young plays more than a 3 or 4 quarters for the Eagles this year I would be very nervous if I were an Eagles fan.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 19, 2011 -> 01:34 PM)

That "article" says no such thing. Word around here is that Jones was putting Baldwin in his place. The previous day Baldwin picked a fight with Jamaal Charles. He's been as advertised, mouthy, cocky, and difficult to work with. Hopefully he'll fall in line like Dwayne Bowe did...

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 22, 2011 -> 01:47 PM)
I guess if Tebow is a 1st, Pryor being a 3rd isnt all that bad. Still think they are overvaluing these type of players.

The difference is Pryor will wind up a 6'5" sub 4.4 receiver, while Tebow will only be at the QB position.