Official 2011-2012 NFL Thread

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Oct 16, 2011 -> 10:35 PM)
I'm so glad the 49ers ended the f***ery that is the hype around the Lions. They can't run the ball, their offensive line is not good, and when they aren't throwing lob passes to Calvin Johnson when a team foolishly has him single-covered, they aren't a very good team. Their front four on defense is good, sure, but they still can't stop the run and Ndamakong Suh is incredibly overrated. I look forward to playing them at Soldier Field later this year.

Hopefully the Bears can build on this game (especially the oline) and take it to London next week and give it to the Bucs.

Suh overrated? I don't think so the man is a beast

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how you can overrate Suh. Maybe if you said he was the best defensive tackle of all time. I haven't seen a defensive player have that type of immediate impact in a really long time.

---

Can't say I'm not happy about the Bills being 4-2 at this point, especially since both losses have been by 3 points and I had no expectations for this team other than 6 wins going into the season, but they really should have won today, and it all happened on Fitzpatrick's 2nd INT. His 1st INT was a ball he should have never thrown, but it was also a ball that Webster should have never picked either and it was incredible that he did. Stevie Johnson had Webster beat on that last one pretty badly and if Fitz leads him instead of throwing up a jump ball, then the Bills go up 31-24 and force the Giants to punch it in. If not that, they were on the Giants 30 and could have simply run it a few times, maybe tried to pick up a 1st, and killed clock, forcing Eli to make a comeback. The officials seemed to side with the Giants, but that's homefield advantage and it wasn't enough to kill the Bills.

The Giants DBs are not that good either. All they do is follow exactly where the receiver goes and turn around when he goes up for the catch to make it legal. Teams should totally take advantage of that by dekeing the DBs...just have a WR go up for a phantom pass, have the DB turn around, and have the WR turn on the jets. They'd be toast and it would make them second guess their tendencies.

Edited by witesoxfan

Suh didn't do a whole lot against the Bears. And he didn't do a whole lot today. I'm sorry, but I've seen every Lions game this year because of my damn roommate, and he isn't NEAR the impact player he is made out to be. Does he get double teamed often? Sure. But for all the hype Williams and Fairley get in the middle as well, they don't put much pressure from there as they do on the ends, and they sure as s*** don't stop the run.

Really impressed with Peppers today. He played a great game in the rush and against the run, and went the whole game on an injury that most people thought would have him sitting.

Guy has actually lived up to that contract big time here so far, great addition.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 12:40 AM)
I don't know how you can overrate Suh. Maybe if you said he was the best defensive tackle of all time. I haven't seen a defensive player have that type of immediate impact in a really long time.

---

Can't say I'm not happy about the Bills being 4-2 at this point, especially since both losses have been by 3 points and I had no expectations for this team other than 6 wins going into the season, but they really should have won today, and it all happened on Fitzpatrick's 2nd INT. His 1st INT was a ball he should have never thrown, but it was also a ball that Webster should have never picked either and it was incredible that he did. Stevie Johnson had Webster beat on that last one pretty badly and if Fitz leads him instead of throwing up a jump ball, then the Bills go up 31-24 and force the Giants to punch it in. If not that, they were on the Giants 30 and could have simply run it a few times, maybe tried to pick up a 1st, and killed clock, forcing Eli to make a comeback. The officials seemed to side with the Giants, but that's homefield advantage and it wasn't enough to kill the Bills.

The Giants DBs are not that good either. All they do is follow exactly where the receiver goes and turn around when he goes up for the catch to make it legal. Teams should totally take advantage of that by dekeing the DBs...just have a WR go up for a phantom pass, have the DB turn around, and have the WR turn on the jets. They'd be toast and it would make them second guess their tendencies.

Fitzpatrick rushed that throw. He was still back pedaling when he got rid of it. Johnson had Webster beat.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 01:37 AM)
Really impressed with Peppers today. He played a great game in the rush and against the run, and went the whole game on an injury that most people thought would have him sitting.

Guy has actually lived up to that contract big time here so far, great addition.

He played awesome, and with a sprained MCL! The fact that he was even able to play with a sprained MCL, let alone play very well, is miraculous considering what we've learned about it in 2011.

On a more serious note, it was good to see the Bears just not waste time beating up on a bad team tonight. The game next week should be interesting. Tampa Bay is an interesting team to say the least considering they were absolutely annihilated by San Francisco last week, only to beat New Orleans and hold them to just 20 points this week.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 12:40 AM)

He is ridiculously good. Gets double teamed every game he plays in (obviously means he's a big part of the opposition's game plan) and he still gets to the QB (might not sack him, but still gets a hit/hurried pass and for a QB in a game, that's not what he wants)

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 01:49 AM)
Fitzpatrick rushed that throw. He was still back pedaling when he got rid of it. Johnson had Webster beat.

I was so pissed when that happened. The stat sheet will say that Webster played a good game but Stevie was abusing him whenever lined up on his side. A semi-miraculous catch and a severe underthrow were the reasons for his 2 picks.

If playing QB were all about mentality and seeing the field, Fitzpatrick would be a top 5 QB in the game, but a game like this exposes some of his bigger weaknesses, those being a mediocre (or even weak) arm and only so-so accuracy. He really can't do a whole lot beyond 20 yards and even Roosevelt's TD was only like a 15 yard pass and the defense fell apart.

I also think that, if Tebow flops (and it sort of seems like the Broncos are setting him up to do so), the Bills will be very interested in acquiring him, which scares and excites me all at the same time.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 02:56 AM)
I was so pissed when that happened. The stat sheet will say that Webster played a good game but Stevie was abusing him whenever lined up on his side. A semi-miraculous catch and a severe underthrow were the reasons for his 2 picks.

If playing QB were all about mentality and seeing the field, Fitzpatrick would be a top 5 QB in the game, but a game like this exposes some of his bigger weaknesses, those being a mediocre (or even weak) arm and only so-so accuracy. He really can't do a whole lot beyond 20 yards and even Roosevelt's TD was only like a 15 yard pass and the defense fell apart.

I also think that, if Tebow flops (and it sort of seems like the Broncos are setting him up to do so), the Bills will be very interested in acquiring him, which scares and excites me all at the same time.

I'm picturing Tebow with a big grin on his face saying to Wite..."Do I make you horny? Come on, tell me, do I make you randy?"

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 05:31 AM)
I'm picturing Tebow with a big grin on his face saying to Wite..."Do I make you horny? Come on, tell me, do I make you randy?"

Ha, just a little.

Tebow reminds me so much of Steve Young that it's silly, but Steve Young also got to sit behind Joe Montana and work with one of the greatest football minds of all time, so he had a lot going for him. If the Bills were to acquire him in the offseason - which I think I'd honestly put at 50% right now because I know that Ralph Wilson really likes him, there were reports that the Bills were looking to move up to a similar spot to draft him, Chan Gailey would work an offense around your abilities if you threw it backwards every time, John Elway and John Fox seemingly don't like him, and there is a distinct possibility that both Brandon Lloyd and Eddie Royal end up changing teams in the next 48 hours leaving Tebow with virtually no weapons and, like I mentioned earlier, setting him up for failure to justify a trade to the fan base - it would be with the intention to either have him start in the next 2 seasons. If he flops in Denver, I don't know if he'll be mentally prepared for that. Hopefully he would be, because I do think he could be a great QB in this league. And, even though Fitz isn't exactly Joe Montana, he's still very smart and does a great job attacking defenses as well as he can.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 06:51 AM)
Ha, just a little.

Tebow reminds me so much of Steve Young that it's silly, but Steve Young also got to sit behind Joe Montana and work with one of the greatest football minds of all time, so he had a lot going for him. If the Bills were to acquire him in the offseason - which I think I'd honestly put at 50% right now because I know that Ralph Wilson really likes him, there were reports that the Bills were looking to move up to a similar spot to draft him, Chan Gailey would work an offense around your abilities if you threw it backwards every time, John Elway and John Fox seemingly don't like him, and there is a distinct possibility that both Brandon Lloyd and Eddie Royal end up changing teams in the next 48 hours leaving Tebow with virtually no weapons and, like I mentioned earlier, setting him up for failure to justify a trade to the fan base - it would be with the intention to either have him start in the next 2 seasons. If he flops in Denver, I don't know if he'll be mentally prepared for that. Hopefully he would be, because I do think he could be a great QB in this league. And, even though Fitz isn't exactly Joe Montana, he's still very smart and does a great job attacking defenses as well as he can.

/Spit Take

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 02:20 AM)
He played awesome, and with a sprained MCL! The fact that he was even able to play with a sprained MCL, let alone play very well, is miraculous considering what we've learned about it in 2011.

On a more serious note, it was good to see the Bears just not waste time beating up on a bad team tonight. The game next week should be interesting. Tampa Bay is an interesting team to say the least considering they were absolutely annihilated by San Francisco last week, only to beat New Orleans and hold them to just 20 points this week.

There is this huge difference between Cutler and pretty much everyone else in the NFL that you never seem to grasp in the MCL/Championship game discussion. Because of Cutlers diabetes, he CAN NOT TAKE THE PAIN SHOT. Peppers was playing on a juiced knee, you can bet your ass.

Stop bringing up the Championship game and ripping Cutler for it. You are wrong.

Jay took a hyped up shot of ibuprofen:

"Toradol is a strong medicine that helps with the pain, but it's not a narcotic,'' said Dr. Gus Gialamas, an orthopedic surgeon from Sea View Orthopedic Medical Group in California. "It's like a super-dose of Ibuprofen. It's not addictive or anything like that."

and could not take the more common cortisone shot

**Cortisone is a steroid made by the adrenal gland. It is released by the body to counteract stress. A cortisone shot starts to work very quickly once injected, although the time when you feel relief rom your symptoms can vary. Most people find that relief begins within 48 to 72 hours after the injection.

**In other words.. Its what every injured to seriously injured player in any sport does to be able to play. Like Phillip Rivers, Alex Ovechkin, Joe Mauer, Tiger Woods, etc. We can go on and on to people who get these shots and can play. (You can argue that all of these guys play different sports, but they are all also non-diabetics).

**Second, why a fast acting sideline treatment like Cortisone or anything in nature couldn't be addressed if he was injured.. To anyone who knows once again the effects of these drugs or is in the medical field would simply understand that diabetics would simply be a death sentence if they were to use these same methods of 'treatment'.

http://www.chicitysports.com/forum/chicago...s-straight.html

And you aren't even taking into account degree of severity of the MCL sprain. Just get over it

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Oct 16, 2011 -> 10:35 PM)
I'm so glad the 49ers ended the f***ery that is the hype around the Lions. They can't run the ball, their offensive line is not good, and when they aren't throwing lob passes to Calvin Johnson when a team foolishly has him single-covered, they aren't a very good team. Their front four on defense is good, sure, but they still can't stop the run and Ndamakong Suh is incredibly overrated. I look forward to playing them at Soldier Field later this year.

Hopefully the Bears can build on this game (especially the oline) and take it to London next week and give it to the Bucs.

One hit on Stafford ends their season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 08:27 AM)
One hit on Stafford ends their season.

I am actually going to disagree with this. Shaun Hill had a pretty respectable year last season, all things considered. He really understands the "Throw the ball up high to CJ and let him go get it" concept pretty well. He is no Stafford, but I think he could keep them afloat and into the playoffs with the start the Lions have had

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 09:37 AM)
When the going gets tough, request a trade.

Someone posted on twitter yesterday something to the effect of "Why is it that defensive players are seemingly benched for performance every game by Lovie Smith, yet Frank Omiyale has dressed for every game since he has signed his contract?"

Harris had a really bad game against the Lions, there is no doubt about that. It could have been rust, lingering injury, whatever. But Brandon Merriwether had an equally bad game, as well as piss poor games previously while Harris was out injured and he dressed and played yesterday. That is a pretty disappointing set of standards by Lovie, Harris has played a lot of games under Lovie and it isnt like he gets burned every game he plays.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 10:43 AM)
Someone posted on twitter yesterday something to the effect of "Why is it that defensive players are seemingly benched for performance every game by Lovie Smith, yet Frank Omiyale has dressed for every game since he has signed his contract?"

Harris had a really bad game against the Lions, there is no doubt about that. It could have been rust, lingering injury, whatever. But Brandon Merriwether had an equally bad game, as well as piss poor games previously while Harris was out injured and he dressed and played yesterday. That is a pretty disappointing set of standards by Lovie, Harris has played a lot of games under Lovie and it isnt like he gets burned every game he plays.

You've got to figure that there's some lingering issues there in the first place too...between the Bears not wanting him, then wanting him back.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 10:08 AM)
You've got to figure that there's some lingering issues there in the first place too...between the Bears not wanting him, then wanting him back.

Wasnt it similar to the Cedric Benson/Thomas Jones dynamic? Angelo felt Manning was going to be the better player at the position(.......sigh) and traded Harris for a pick before it was time to pay him and avoid a starter controversy?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
Wasnt it similar to the Cedric Benson/Thomas Jones dynamic? Angelo felt Manning was going to be the better player at the position(.......sigh) and traded Harris for a pick before it was time to pay him and avoid a starter controversy?

Still though...Not sure you give up your starting safety for a 6th round pick without there being some personal things as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 10:25 AM)
Still though...Not sure you give up your starting safety for a 6th round pick without there being some personal things as well.

The safeties took a lot of heat after the Superbowl, Im sure there was a lot of blame going on behind the scenes. From all accounts Harris is a pretty good guy off the field.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 10:29 AM)
The safeties took a lot of heat after the Superbowl, Im sure there was a lot of blame going on behind the scenes. From all accounts Harris is a pretty good guy off the field.

I don't get the impression that the Bears worry a whole lot about the off of the field stuff.

QUOTE (MAX @ Oct 16, 2011 -> 06:33 PM)
I don't understand how the offensive line was SO bad last week and looks pretty good tonight against what everyone considers a very tough defensive line.

A lot has to do with Omilaye being out. A lot has to do with the fact that there was less crowd noise (home game, duh) and as a result far less false starts. Plus, the Bears really mixed up the play-calling. It was very similar to what they did in week 1 against Atlanta. Martz just gets so stubborn when he thinks he can just continuosly run 7 step drop after 7 step drop.

They also had Spaeth back and I really like him. He's a great blocker.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 17, 2011 -> 09:43 AM)

From what I read the reason Harris didnt dress is because he doesnt contribute on special teams, I'm assuming Merriweather does if that's the case.