Rozner: Guillen quit on Sox long ago

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 04:58 PM)
Even if you agree with Rozner's sentiments, and dislike Cowley heavily, it probably still needs to be said that Rozner's article lacks meat. Not really loads of supporting evidence here for his claims.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 05:14 PM)
As much as I love the tone of this article, I kinda agree that it would have been a lot more powerful with more specific examples of Ozzie quitting.

This is an example of a columnist (who is this Rozner guy anyway?) blasting big bad Ozzie WHEN OZZIE IS SAFELY OUT OF TOWN. He's writing for an audience that hates Ozzie. An audience getting ready to follow a team with a new manager. Great. Bu what did that column say? Oz is a clown? Where's the mention of Cooper and calling him a clown? Or Rios? Maybe he's written those before or will soon. If so, I apologize.

It seems to me that column was damage control for when Ozzie erupts next IN ANOTHER NEWSPAPER. His paper is not getting the next eruption story from Ozzie, so just call him a clown and pretend the next story will not be newsworthy.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 01:30 PM)
This is an example of a columnist (who is this Rozner guy anyway?) blasting big bad Ozzie WHEN OZZIE IS SAFELY OUT OF TOWN. He's writing for an audience that hates Ozzie. An audience getting ready to follow a team with a new manager. Great. Bu what did that column say? Oz is a clown? Where's the mention of Cooper and calling him a clown? Or Rios? Maybe he's written those before or will soon. If so, I apologize.

It seems to me that column was damage control for when Ozzie erupts next IN ANOTHER NEWSPAPER. His paper is not getting the next eruption story from Ozzie, so just call him a clown and pretend the next story will not be newsworthy.

Kinda like waiting until Ozzie already quit to start slinging mud at Kenny Williams?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 08:32 PM)
"OZZIE IS SAFELY OUT OF TOWN"

What does this mean? That Oz would be a physical threat to him?

No, that his main source of White Sox information and quotes is gone and he'll never need copy from him, interviews from him, etc. It's easy to blast the former manager/coach who you'll never have to see or deal with again. It would take guts to write columns blasting KW, Rios, Dunn, Jerry right now. Maybe he writes those type of columns as well. If so I apologize to him.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 01:38 PM)
No, that his main source of White Sox information and quotes is gone and he'll never need copy from him, interviews from him, etc. It's easy to blast the former manager/coach who you'll never have to see or deal with again. It would take guts to write columns blasting KW, Rios, Dunn, Jerry right now. Maybe he writes those type of columns as well. If so I apologize to him.

You mean like Cowley did when he quit the beat and became a Guillen family spokesman?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 01:38 PM)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 01:36 PM)
Kinda like waiting until Ozzie already quit to start slinging mud at Kenny Williams?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 01:30 PM)

Even though you quoted me, I have to say this is not entirely the scenario here. If you have followed Rozner & Cowley on their Score 670 appearances, they do like to go at it on the topic of journalistic sources & integrity. This is a continuation of the battle.

If Rozner was waiting to only report when the Daily Herald gets a scoop, he'd be waiting a long time.

Rozner has his viewpoint, it's valid, it's just not well articulated in that article. Not convincing, little in the way of examples. Just fire.

Edited by Princess Dye

While I enjoyed the article and generally agreed with his opinion, I must say I hated that he wrote it. As far as I am concerned, any mention of Oz in a Chicago newspaper or referenceing the Sox is a bad article and further plays into their over inflated opinions of themselves (Guillens).

It is a good day when there are no Oz/Sox columns, it is a bad day when there is.

And I believe Oz will be one hell of a manager for the next couple seasons.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 02:15 PM)
While I enjoyed the article and generally agreed with his opinion, I must say I hated that he wrote it. As far as I am concerned, any mention of Oz in a Chicago newspaper or referenceing the Sox is a bad article and further plays into their over inflated opinions of themselves (Guillens).

It is a good day when there are no Oz/Sox columns, it is a bad day when there is.

And I believe Oz will be one hell of a manager for the next couple seasons.

With the team that they've built, Ozzie should look good. But what happens if there's a collapse of epic proportions (which is entirely possible)?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)
With the team that they've built, Ozzie should look good. But what happens if there's a collapse of epic proportions (which is entirely possible)?

They've built a decent team but that division is way to tough for them to win.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 02:15 PM)

This is my general feeling towards it. Everybody just move on and let it go and they'll better off.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 09:09 PM)
Yup and they're going to be absolutely f***ed in a couple years and it's going to be hilarious.

Why are they going to suck in a couple years?

They got some good players and appear to be adding decent players.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 04:51 PM)
Why are they going to suck in a couple years?

They got some good players and appear to be adding decent players.

Their two largest contracts are majorly back-loaded. Once fans stop caring about the new stadium in a year or two, they are gonna have to start selling off pieces just like always. It's Miami, no one care about pro sports. Just college football & NASCAR

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 06:12 PM)
Their two largest contracts are majorly back-loaded. Once fans stop caring about the new stadium in a year or two, they are gonna have to start selling off pieces just like always. It's Miami, no one care about pro sports. Just college football & NASCAR

Mark Buehrle's contract is clearly designed to be moved after a year or so. The ballooning is ridiculous.

Mark had to know that when he signed the deal too.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 09:58 AM)
Even if you agree with Rozner's sentiments, and dislike Cowley heavily, it probably still needs to be said that Rozner's article lacks meat. Not really loads of supporting evidence here for his claims.

The difference between Cowley and Rozner is, you know who Cowley is the mouthpiece for. With Rozner you have to guess did this come from Chairman Reinsdorf or Williams. I agree with his premise that Guillen had to go.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 06:29 PM)
The difference between Cowley and Rozner is, you know who Cowley is the mouthpiece for. With Rozner you have to guess did this come from Chairman Reinsdorf or Williams. I agree with his premise that Guillen had to go.

If he's being the mouthpiece for anyone, that means someone in the org felt like Ozzie had completely quit on the team years ago.

That says a lot about how Ozzie was viewed that anyone would think that.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 05:12 PM)

And the rest of the teams in that division are way better than Florida.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 06:01 PM)
If he's being the mouthpiece for anyone, that means someone in the org felt like Ozzie had completely quit on the team years ago.

That says a lot about how Ozzie was viewed that anyone would think that.

Absolutely it does depending on how much creedence you put in it. Same thing goes for Williams or Coop when Cowley has written unflattering things about them that he's gotten from Guillen.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 07:47 PM)
Absolutely it does depending on how much creedence you put in it. Same thing goes for Williams or Coop when Cowley has written unflattering things about them that he's gotten from Guillen.

If it's all coming from Ozzie and his family though, while guys like Cooper, Reinsdorf, Williams, and Hahn are content to continue working with each other, that sorta tells you that Ozzie is the only one defending Ozzie or attacking anyone else.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 09:40 PM)
If it's all coming from Ozzie and his family though, while guys like Cooper, Reinsdorf, Williams, and Hahn are content to continue working with each other, that sorta tells you that Ozzie is the only one defending Ozzie or attacking anyone else.

Exactly. Ozzie is still trying to destroy things here.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 12:32 AM)
What's genius about the Rozner article is if Ozzie and/or Oney and Co. respond like they usually do, it will prove Rozner's point.

That is genius on his part. He can always say that he told everybody what was coming, even though he couldn't get the story from Ozzie in his newspaper.

I still say he wrote it as a preface to Ozzie's upcoming piece with Cowley. No way the Herald is going to get that story, so it's prolly an old media trick to act like nobody cares about the upcoming Ozzie rant/story in the competing paper. It makes it seem like he wouldn't even want to write more excuses from a person he called the "clown."

Edited by greg775