Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

Wow, I feel like someone mentioned that previously but was rebuffed by an ND fan.

Someone said that ND would drop all the Big Ten Schools and I said that they are not dropping Purdue. ND wants to play Purdue every year and then have one other rotating Big Ten opponent that would include a heavy dose of UM/MSU. Michigan seems to want all or nothing though, so we'll see what happens down the road.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 03:51 PM)
Purdue isn't dropping ND at all. MSU and UM are moving from playing ND every year to 4-6 years of every ten. This has everything to do with the Big Ten going to a 9-game conference schedule and nothing to do with ND.

Who sent the first letter breaking the agreement again?

The whole post is a fallacy as the Big 10 isnt going to a 9 game schedule (I pointed this out 2 weeks ago). ND needed to make room on their schedule for teams like Wake Forest and Syracuse now that they are in the ACC.

At one point, the Big Ten did decide to go to a 9-game schedule. This prompted Michigan and MSU to tell ND that they would be unlikely to continue playing every year. This (along with massive defections from the Big East) got the ball rolling on ND talking with the ACC. In the meantime, the Big Ten un-decided to go to a 9-game schedule, but then ND completed its deal with the ACC and it became necessary on their end to cut back on those games. Playing a game in California every year is a bigger priority than playing a game in Michigan every year.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 10:18 PM)
I gotta say, its kinda weird. Our(South Carolina) special teams have been ANYTHING but special, but they looked fantastic against Mizzou. Your QB, Franklin, baffles me. He looks FAR too relaxed and patient back there, it is very odd. I do think that Mizz has the chance to win some East games, the defensive gameplan against Mizz was fantastic for us. I know he is capable of far more than that though, he looked indifferent while in the game.

Even if you take out return protection for us, which is bad, it's just our Kicker and punter are the worst we've had since 04. We're at the point where an XP isn't guaranteed.

Franklin, it's tough. He had .9 seconds to throw that game, he has a young o-line that is often just missing assignments and people are coming through untouched. And with that, as would be pretty common with a QB, he's kind of assuming how the play will go before it happens, and gives up and just decides to go with the dump off.

He is really talented, but having a bad oline brings out the worst in most QBs.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 10:59 AM)
At one point, the Big Ten did decide to go to a 9-game schedule. This prompted Michigan and MSU to tell ND that they would be unlikely to continue playing every year. This (along with massive defections from the Big East) got the ball rolling on ND talking with the ACC. In the meantime, the Big Ten un-decided to go to a 9-game schedule, but then ND completed its deal with the ACC and it became necessary on their end to cut back on those games. Playing a game in California every year is a bigger priority than playing a game in Michigan every year.

HUH? They didnt even approach this subject until ND decided to move to the ACC. They already had a break in their schedule with UM and Purdue never intended on EVER taking ND off their schedule.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 11:05 AM)
Franklin, it's tough. He had .9 seconds to throw that game, he has a young o-line that is often just missing assignments and people are coming through untouched. And with that, as would be pretty common with a QB, he's kind of assuming how the play will go before it happens, and gives up and just decides to go with the dump off.

Franklin can't pass and defenses are realizing it. I think Berkstresser is a better pure passer, but he isn't as comfortable in the pocket and doesn't run the simply plays in the offense anywhere near as well. That's the difference an extra year in the system makes. However, next year could be an interesting QB battle.

It's a shame because this looks like one of the deepest WR cores we've had in a while, maybe since Chase and Maclin. DGB has more or less been invisible and I'm still happy with our WR play.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)
Franklin can't pass and defenses are realizing it. I think Berkstresser is a better pure passer, but he isn't as comfortable in the pocket and doesn't run the simply plays in the offense anywhere near as well. That's the difference an extra year in the system makes. However, next year could be an interesting QB battle.

It's a shame because this looks like one of the deepest WR cores we've had in a while, maybe since Chase and Maclin. DGB has more or less been invisible and I'm still happy with our WR play.

I thought DGB was the hands down #1 WR prospect out of HS, Stefon Diggs is challenging that perception.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 11:05 AM)
Even if you take out return protection for us, which is bad, it's just our Kicker and punter are the worst we've had since 04. We're at the point where an XP isn't guaranteed.

Welcome to my world. Tennessee's special teams have been awful since I started school. We signed the #1 kicker and #1 punter in the nation (according to Rivals) 3 years ago and we still stuck. We're using a walk on, 3rd string kicker right now. And we have missed 3 extra point attempts in 4 games. As a Bears fan, I've been spoiled with great special teams, which makes it tough watching my college team suck so much at it.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 09:13 PM)
Welcome to my world. Tennessee's special teams have been awful since I started school. We signed the #1 kicker and #1 punter in the nation (according to Rivals) 2 years ago and we still stuck. We're using a walk on, 3rd string kicker right now. And we have missed 3 extra point attempts in 4 games. As a Bears fan, I've been spoiled with great special teams, which makes it tough watching my college team suck so much at it.

Holy crap. We're they just terrible or did they get injured?

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 04:22 PM)
Holy crap. We're they just terrible or did they get injured?

Well, the Punter is okay. He's been solid, but still not what I would have expected out of someone so highly ranked. The Kicker dealt with injuries his first 2 years, but he's finally healthy this year and just sucks. Our other scholarship kicker broke his leg, so now we're using a walk-on.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 05:08 PM)
Nice. I'm headed to knoxville November 9th. I'm pretty excited.

Excellent. I hope it lives up to expectations. The game itself should be a good one based on what I've seen from both teams. And feel free to PM me when we get closer to the game if you have any questions about Knoxville/Gameday.

I went up to Knoxville when I was a S. Carolina season holder. Fun trip, great college town. It was cold as piss though, that was back when Tennessee and S. Carolina played each other at the end of October, and when the wind came off the water there, it got EXTREMELY uncomfortable. Great road trip for a game though, for sure! We lost that game thanks to Travis Stephens for Tenn...

Now, Athens GA, on the other hand...worst away game experience I've ever had. Terrible, TERRIBLE fans. S. Carolina went down and beat Georgia the day I was there, and UGa fans were throwing stuff at the S.C. fans, cursing and spitting...it was terrible.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 08:02 AM)
USC, Oklahoma, and Stanford have now all been upset. ND's strength of schedule just went down the drain. A month ago, 10-2 would have seemed like an amazing accomplishment. Now not so much.

Either way, a 10-2 Notre Dame makes a BCS bowl, and that's all that matters in the end.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 08:02 AM)
USC, Oklahoma, and Stanford have now all been upset. ND's strength of schedule just went down the drain. A month ago, 10-2 would have seemed like an amazing accomplishment. Now not so much.

I disagree, those are still very tough teams regardless of a loss. Everyone still knows ND's schedule is murder.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 10:43 AM)
I disagree, those are still very tough teams regardless of a loss. Everyone still knows ND's schedule is murder.

Washington's sched looks like murder when they showed it last night. If they make it out .500 thats a win.

I might be the only IU football fan here (except for Balta, maybe), but anyway...

Cam Coffman starting for Indiana tomorrow. Nate Sudfeld looked real, real good in the 4th quarter two weeks ago after Coffman got injured, and Sudfeld is generally thought to have the better talent (he was pretty highly recruited out of Modesto, CA). But, Coffman was #2 on the depth chart when Roberson went down (which is terrible, he was so fun to watch. One of those small but real athletic quarterbacks), so Wilson is sticking with that. Coffman didn't do too terribly before he got dinged up (hip pointer), but I really do think Sudfeld might be the better option right now, even though he's a true freshman. I mean, Coffman isn't very familiar with the system either, it's first year at IU after spending last year at a junior college. Coffman did participate in spring practice though, and Sudfeld did not. One thing's for sure, Indiana needs to get at least two quarterbacks in this class, just to have a few bodies there. Coffman and Sudfeld are the only non-walkons right now.

I think our offense can do well against Northwestern. As usual, it's the defense I'm worried about. The defensive line really has to control the line of scrimmage, Black and Replogle especially.

I always like playing Northwestern, as there my second favorite Big Ten team. Also, I know one of the kids that starts on their offensive line, so it's cool to see him on TV.