Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 6, 2012 -> 05:53 PM)
Damn. What an awful hire.

Maybe, I'm going to give him a few years to get his own players, but firing him now would be all sorts of stupid.

The players clearly didn't buy into him, and that's a big issue for both sides.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 6, 2012 -> 10:56 PM)
Maybe, I'm going to give him a few years to get his own players, but firing him now would be all sorts of stupid.

The players clearly didn't buy into him, and that's a big issue for both sides.

Stupid because we would owe a lot of money. He's clearly in over his head.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 6, 2012 -> 06:06 PM)

We already struggled to hire a coach, imagine trying to convince anyone worthwhile to come here after a bad season, PR disaster in firing a 1 yr coach, and oh yea, come work for fanbase/AD that is fire happy.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 6, 2012 -> 11:08 PM)
We already struggled to hire a coach, imagine trying to convince anyone worthwhile to come here after a bad season, PR disaster in firing a 1 yr coach, and oh yea, come work for fanbase/AD that is fire happy.

At worst we get stuck with another Tim Beckman.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 6, 2012 -> 06:06 PM)

Sure looks that way but the only thing I can say in his defense is that there isn't a coach in the country that could make this offense competent. Zook's recruiting his last 3 years was absolutely atrocious, especially on offense and we we are going to pay the price for that. This is exactly why a competent AD fires Zook in 2009 after he goes 3-9 with a bunch of NFL talent and then the next coach would have had an opportunity to build momentum by having winning teams the next few years. But instead we hold on to an incompetent coach for two extra years and while those seasons were respectable we put ourselves in a position where Beckman's staff has no talent on offense and very little young talent on defense.

Interesting pair of calls against Ohio State. The Nebraska WR gets a deep ball and stiff arms 2 defenders to the facemask, pulls one of them, and the refs only call the facemask on the second defender (who already had a hand in his face). How do refs miss calls like these?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 03:23 PM)
I agree there's a line, the line is different for everyone and not easy to find.

I find out years later we were big-time paying Dee, Deron, their families, et al? I'm pretty furious. Not "hey, it was a great run though." Tainted in my mind forever. That's the stuff I'm talking about.

I don't want to be so damn dirty just to get a championship...because I won't look at it the same way anyway, so what's the point.

How would it be tainted? Dee & Deron may have been paid, just like their opponents in the national championship game were? I'm sure that all of those 6 NBA draft picks on UNC were clean too.

Luther Head was stealing from fellow students? Does that taint your Final Four run?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 6, 2012 -> 01:33 PM)
The memory would be nowhere near the same.

Would your memory suddenly forget the elite 8 game vs. Arizona like it never happened? Doubtful.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 6, 2012 -> 10:00 PM)
Can we re-hire Ron Zook? It can't be worse.

At least Beckman actually has a recruiting class with talent (well right now anyways, who knows if those kids stay committed with the way this season is going). Even being generous Zook basically recruited only 2 good offensive players in his last 4 recruiting classes.