2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bears attempted to sign impending free agent DT Henry Melton to an in-season extension, but were unable to strike a deal.

Melton's stance seems to suggest he'll be pursuing big money either as a free agent or from the Bears. With 13 sacks over the past two seasons and a team-high 24 QB pressures in 2012, Melton's certainly has earned it. Still just 26, Melton will be a coveted three-technique tackle if he hits the market. The Bears are expected to offer him a four-year deal, but financial terms are unknown.

and

ESPN Chicago confirms that Bears WR Johnny Knox will be an unrestricted free agent this offseason.

We read in-season speculation that Knox's salary would "toll" to 2013 because he spent 2012 on PUP, but that won't happen. After missing the entire season with a fractured vertebrae in his back, Knox's health status is the biggest concern for his market appeal. The 26-year-old is a quality deep threat when healthy.

Per Rotoworld

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 12:19 AM)
ESPN Chicago confirms that Bears WR Johnny Knox will be an unrestricted free agent this offseason.

We read in-season speculation that Knox's salary would "toll" to 2013 because he spent 2012 on PUP, but that won't happen. After missing the entire season with a fractured vertebrae in his back, Knox's health status is the biggest concern for his market appeal. The 26-year-old is a quality deep threat when healthy.

Per Rotoworld

Brad Biggs was just on The Score and said the exact opposite.

@TyDunne

League sources tell @realfreemancbs that the #Packers are one team interested in Revis. Well, that'd be something...

I doubt he get's traded. I also doubt the Packers would trade for him, but it would be cool to get him.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 10:44 AM)
Im not sure you can trademark a move. He can trademark the image on a t-shirt or the name. Im thinking the move itself would have to be a copyright.

wasnt the Tebow trademarked?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 10:47 AM)
wasnt the Tebow trademarked?

Once again I think it is the article incorrectly stating what is going on. Here is the TM for Tebowing:

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc...4008:ehe35y.3.1

Word Mark TEBOWING

Goods and Services IC 025. US 022 039. G & S: Hats; Shirts; T-shirts. FIRST USE: 20111027. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20111027

Standard Characters Claimed

Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK

Serial Number 85458244

Filing Date October 27, 2011

Current Basis 1A

Original Filing Basis 1A

Published for Opposition October 9, 2012

Registration Number 4263370

Registration Date December 25, 2012

The reason I say this is because trademarks are for either services or goods. This trademark is a product mark for hats, shirts, etc. Meaning that no one can use "Tebowing" on a t-shirt. There is an additional Tebowing for the following (each is its own tm) jewelry, posters, educational services, sporting goods, clothing and dvds/video games.

Here is Kaepernick's, as predicted its for clothing:

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc...4008:ehe35y.7.1

Word Mark KAEPERNICKING

Goods and Services IC 025. US 022 039. G & S: Clothing, namely shirts. FIRST USE: 20121231. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20121231

Standard Characters Claimed

Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK

Serial Number 85822700

Filing Date January 14, 2013

Current Basis 1A

Original Filing Basis 1A

Owner (APPLICANT) Kaepernick, Colin INDIVIDUAL UNITED STATES P.O. Box 1725 Madison WISCONSIN 537011725

Attorney of Record Bruce H. Bernstein

Type of Mark TRADEMARK

Register PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

And if you want to write to him, I just gave you a PO Box. Tebows are all owned by a LLC in Colorado.

I might know a little about trademarks ;)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 10:48 AM)

Those articles are not written by trademark lawyers.

If you want to see for yourself,

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=tess...4008:ehe35y.1.1

Go to "Basic Word Mark Search"

Search Term: "tebowing"

You will get 10 results. Live results are those that are active, dead results are those that the TM office has declined (for whatever reason.)

You will notice that every live result is in connection with either a good or service. But that none of those services are merely "going down on a knee" that is not a service or good.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 10:32 AM)
@TyDunne

League sources tell @realfreemancbs that the #Packers are one team interested in Revis. Well, that'd be something...

I doubt he get's traded. I also doubt the Packers would trade for him, but it would be cool to get him.

This is highly unlikely to me. I'd imagine the Jets are going to want some top draft picks and trading picks for expensive, veteran talent is not Ted Thompson's style at all.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 26, 2013 -> 09:41 PM)
To Jake or anyone subscribed to PFF....I was curious as to why Brandon Myers, who was the most productive of the potential FA TEs, has a -14.6 rating...far and away the lowest rating of any TE on the list.

If you ever followed any Raiders games (I followed a few since I had Carson Palmer as my fantasy QB for a few weeks), Myers got the ball thrown to him A LOT. Not sure what kind of stuff they take into account in the ratings, but perhaps he should have been more productive with the amount of targets he had.