Sox spring training Catch All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 07:46 AM)
Our pitching staff might well come out of the gates strong...but there are 3 of those guys who might start being gassed at about 100 innings.

I assume you mean Sale, Peavy, & Humber? I get the first two, but you don't think the 163 IP last season should put Humber in better shape this year?

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 08:52 AM)
I assume you mean Sale, Peavy, & Humber? I get the first two, but you don't think the 163 IP last season should put Humber in better shape this year?

I'll hope so, but I'm not counting chickens until they are hatched. If I wanted to be truly nasty I'd point out that Danks was hurt and struggled out of the gates last year and Floyd has a series of recurring conditions that keep costing him Septembers, and the bullpen has at least a good number of question marks in it too. And that's all before Viciedo has to catch a fly ball.

I'm just not in a good place with this team right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 07:55 AM)
I'll hope so, but I'm not counting chickens until they are hatched. If I wanted to be truly nasty I'd point out that Danks was hurt and struggled out of the gates last year and Floyd has a series of recurring conditions that keep costing him Septembers, and the bullpen has at least a good number of question marks in it too. And that's all before Viciedo has to catch a fly ball.

I'm just not in a good place with this team right now.

You sound like me in the Illinois basketball coach thread. :lolhitting

I don't see this team making the playoffs, but relative to the non-Detroit teams in the division, I think they can outplay all of them. Nearly everything that could have went wrong last year did, and I think getting rid of the crazy man in the clubhouse will make a difference too.

After Monday's 4-3 loss to the Dodgers, Ventura said he hasn't decided on a No. 2 hitter, saying Brent Morel and A.J. Pierzynski are about even in the competition.

Morel went 1-for-4 with an RBI single in the second inning and continues to hit with authority to all fields. But Pierzynski struck out only 33 times in 464 at-bats in 2011 and could give the Sox two left-handed hitters at the top of the order — a possible scenario against tough right-handed starters.

"It can be changing," Ventura said of the lineup. "But you want it to be one of those things you feel comfortable with, and one that you want to put out there. The middle of it will be what it is. The other parts you can move around and do different things with."

Ventura said Pierzynski might bat second in the next few games, but he's scheduled to bat seventh Tuesday against the Indians, with utility player Brent Lillibridge in the second spot and Morel batting sixth.

The only certainties are that Alejandro De Aza will bat leadoff and Paul Konerko cleanup. Konerko has six hits in his last two games and is batting .457 over his last 11 games.

Ventura said No. 3 hitter Alex Rios could move around, but he likes Rios batting ahead of Konerko with Adam Dunn behind him.

gonzo

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 07:46 AM)
Our pitching staff might well come out of the gates strong...but there are 3 of those guys who might start being gassed at about 100 innings.

The only one who should have a chance of getting gassed that early is Sale. I'm not concerned with Peavy's arm strength, I'm concerned about his ability to stay healthly. If he can avoid the serious injuries that have plagued him since joining the Sox, he should be able to pitch 200 innings IMO. Humber should also have a good chance at 200 innings.

Somewhat off-topic, but we've got four 1st round picks in our rotation. I wonder how many teams can say that.

Danks & Floyd would need to step up BIG time to anchor the rotation with the other 3 guys questions marks of health and durability. They can't be the same maddeningly inconsistent/generally average starters they've been the past three seasons...

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Mar 26, 2012 -> 09:28 PM)
Beckham is still so lost at the plate. Anyone looking for a turnaround as a hitter may be waiting forever. I'm not seeing it soon.

Admitting ahead of time that I haven't seen any games, how has De Aza looked?

A very soft .283, Juan Pierre-ish, with the exception of that monster homer and I think he had another extra-base hit in one of the games I was listening to recently...

Any time Dunn sinks in the .220's, I start to worry about his confidence, but at least his K's are way too down and he has the added momentum of the 4 HR's and the fact that he's done MUCH better against lefties, comparatively, to 2011. Of course, the bar there was set extremely low for him to jump over.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 07:06 PM)
A very soft .283, Juan Pierre-ish, with the exception of that monster homer and I think he had another extra-base hit in one of the games I was listening to recently...

Any time Dunn sinks in the .220's, I start to worry about his confidence, but at least his K's are way too down and he has the added momentum of the 4 HR's and the fact that he's done MUCH better against lefties, comparatively, to 2011. Of course, the bar there was set extremely low for him to jump over.

Jump? All he has to do is roll.

All of his other numbers look good and he isn't an average guy. So why worry?

QUOTE (MAX @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 07:07 PM)
Jump? All he has to do is roll.

All of his other numbers look good and he isn't an average guy. So why worry?

Agreed. He hasn't been striking out hardly at all. Hitting the ball to all fields. He's hit lefties and some of his outs have been hard hit outs. I'm not worried.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 06:00 PM)
Admitting ahead of time that I haven't seen any games, how has De Aza looked?

De Aza has looked like who he is - A decent lead off hitter that doesn't kill this team the way so many others have in recent seasons.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 09:46 PM)
NO, sorry, didn't happen!

I'm just predicting and it would sound like a White Sox kinda move.

Yeah we were all super excited about Dustin Hermanson too I think.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 27, 2012 -> 11:25 PM)
Yeah we were all super excited about Dustin Hermanson too I think.

Hermanson had 9 years MLB experience before 2005, including 17 saves the previous season.

Screwball Santiago has 5.1 innings above AA ball.

Don't see the connection.

Of course I have ulterior motives, and being the LEGAL troll that I am, I ask you, who is who?

Player ADA - .280(14/50)/.327/.340/.667, 6 R, 1 XBH (1 HR), 4/11 K/BB

Player GFB - .275(14/51).327/.392/.719, 6 R, 4 XBH (1 HR), 3/12 K/BB

I mean, statistically insignificant sample size, yeah, I get it, and these statistics were either coming before or after today's game, so what...I just find it hard to believe that one of these two (I WON'T SAY WHO) is still "so lost at the plate" while the other is "a decent leadoff hitter who won't hurt the team."

BTW, player ADA is 3 of 6 in SBs, while player GFB is 2 of 3. NOW TELL ME WHO'S HURTING THE TEAM.

---

Quite frankly, it's absurd to make any generalizations about Spring Training, whether visual or statistical.

I mean, Pierzynski and Flowers have combined for 7 homers. Do you think they'll hit a combined 50 during the season? Do you even think they'll hit for a combined 30? Considering AJ's power has continually declined since he came to Chicago, I'm going to put that 30 on hold, unless you believe that Flowers can hit 20 homers in perhaps 300 PAs.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 02:30 AM)
Of course I have ulterior motives, and being the LEGAL troll that I am, I ask you, who is who?

Player ADA - .280(14/50)/.327/.340/.667, 6 R, 1 XBH (1 HR), 4/11 K/BB

Player GFB - .275(14/51).327/.392/.719, 6 R, 4 XBH (1 HR), 3/12 K/BB

I mean, statistically insignificant sample size, yeah, I get it, and these statistics were either coming before or after today's game, so what...I just find it hard to believe that one of these two (I WON'T SAY WHO) is still "so lost at the plate" while the other is "a decent leadoff hitter who won't hurt the team."

BTW, player ADA is 3 of 6 in SBs, while player GFB is 2 of 3. NOW TELL ME WHO'S HURTING THE TEAM.

---

Quite frankly, it's absurd to make any generalizations about Spring Training, whether visual or statistical.

I mean, Pierzynski and Flowers have combined for 7 homers. Do you think they'll hit a combined 50 during the season? Do you even think they'll hit for a combined 30? Considering AJ's power has continually declined since he came to Chicago, I'm going to put that 30 on hold, unless you believe that Flowers can hit 20 homers in perhaps 300 PAs.

Interesting, I've seen Heyman tweeting that Beckham looks brilliant this spring, now I haven't really been watching, but he seems to be on and off.

And of course, ADA - Alejandro De Aza and GFB - Gordon f***in Beckham

Edited by justBLAZE