Sox spring training Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 03:28 AM)
That ranks right up there with the Melido Perez rain-shortened no-hitter, lol.

I am so giddy right now. It is nice to win though regardless of wheter it is early in ST or not

Joe McEwing is a rough 39 years old. Just saw the video of him talking about chemistry on whitesox.com and I would have easily guessed late 40's maybe even early 50's...

14 cuts:

Carter, Castro, Heath, Marinez, Hernandez, Leesman, Veal, Martinez to AAA

Molina, Quintana to AA

Blanke, Kuhn, Mitchell, Thompson to minor league camp

37 left in camp

Edited by flavum

Who's left (bold are the 12 I think will go in the next two weeks):

Pitchers (16): Axelrod, Bruney, Crain, Danks, Floyd, Humber, Jones, Ohman, Peavy, Reed, Sale, Santiago, Septimo, Stewart, Stults, Thornton

Catchers (4): Flowers, Gimenez, Phegley, Pierzynski

Infielders (11): Beckham, Dunn, Escobar, Gallagher, Johnson, Konerko, McPherson, Morel, Olmedo, Ramirez, Saladino

Outfielders (6): Danks, De Aza, Fukudome, Lillibridge, Rios, Viciedo

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 06:47 PM)

Pitchers (16): Axelrod, Bruney, Crain, Danks, Floyd, Humber, Jones, Ohman, Peavy, Reed, Sale, Santiago, Septimo, Stewart, Stults, Thornton

Infielders (11): Beckham, Dunn, Escobar, Gallagher, Johnson, Konerko, McPherson, Morel, Olmedo, Ramirez, Saladino

Hmm, you really think Johnson's going to make the team? It seems like we have enough 1B/DH types already.

I wouldn't be surprised if they broke camp with Escobar. We only have one guy on the bench that can play the middle infield if we take Johnson.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 05:47 PM)

Which of the bolded players are out of minor league options or would become free agents if they do not make the team?

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 06:47 PM)

Then who will be the backup 2b/ss/3b? I would assume Johnson doesn't make the team and a middle infielder takes that roster spot. Can Lillibridge still play the infield?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 06:52 AM)
Then who will be the backup 2b/ss/3b? I would assume Johnson doesn't make the team and a middle infielder takes that roster spot. Can Lillibridge still play the infield?

He did up until last year, and he has been this spring.

Lillibridge can play IF, but the more important question is where is Johnson going to play? I don't see Konerko/Dunn having enough days off to justify giving Johnson a roster spot, and there aren't that many PH opportunities in the AL.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 08:28 AM)
Lillibridge can play IF, but the more important question is where is Johnson going to play? I don't see Konerko/Dunn having enough days off to justify giving Johnson a roster spot, and there aren't that many PH opportunities in the AL.

1b/3b and has also played a bit of LF.

I'd much rather see Eduardo Escobar than Johnson but I know that's not likely to happen. Solid defense, potentially decent bat and hits from both sides. Less power and experience than Johnson but a much more diverse player.

1b/3b and has also played a bit of LF.

For lefty bats, you already have Dunn who can play 1B and Fukudome who can play LF. Now, if Johnson can actually handle 3B, I can buy him getting some spot starts over Morel and pinch-hitting for him vs RHP late in games.

Kind of surprised McPherson survived longer than Martinez or Kuhn.

The battle lines now are...

BULLPEN DEFINITE: Thornton, Crain, Ohman, Reed

BULLPEN CANDIDATES (2 or 3 - I bolded my prediction of who makes the roster): Axelrod, Bruney, Jones, Santiago, Septimo, Stewart, Stults

BENCH DEFINITE: Lillibridge, Flowers

BENCH CANDIDATES (2 or 3, probably 2): Escobar, Gallagher, Johnson, McPherson, Olmedo, Saladino, Danks

This means there isn't a true backup for CF, but De Aza and Rios can both play there. Everything else is covered pretty well.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 20, 2012 -> 10:28 AM)
Kind of surprised McPherson survived longer than Martinez or Kuhn.

The battle lines now are...

BULLPEN DEFINITE: Thornton, Crain, Ohman, Reed

BULLPEN CANDIDATES (2 or 3 - I bolded my prediction of who makes the roster): Axelrod, Bruney, Jones, Santiago, Septimo, Stewart, Stults

BENCH DEFINITE: Lillibridge, Flowers

BENCH CANDIDATES (2 or 3, probably 2): Escobar, Gallagher, Johnson, McPherson, Olmedo, Saladino, Danks

This means there isn't a true backup for CF, but De Aza and Rios can both play there. Everything else is covered pretty well.

Sounds like Santiago is pretty much a definite based on Merkin's article. Also, I really hope Bruney doesn't make the opening day roster.