Sox spring training Catch All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 07:25 AM)
Seems like Robin has a plan, and doesn't care if the team is clicking yet or not. Not sure I agree, but I'm certainly willing to be patient and see if he's right.

2 weeks from now, if this team still looks like this in ST, I will start to be worried.

the Braves are 1-10

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 08:32 PM)
https://twitter.com/#!/DKnobler/status/...664596737593345

That's nice...............

"White Sox look so bad this spring that 1 scout said, "They may lose 100 this year." Just remember, AZ and CLE were worst tms in AZ last spg."

I'm so mad at myself, I was going to post two days ago that it's just a matter of time before we start hearing how bad the Sox are going to be this year according to scouts.

the only one I'm concerned about is Tank. Even if Rivers is s*** (again) we know that Fuk is an option in RF. But Tank needs to show some bat. I believe Danks will come around, as will Peavy. One thing about JFP is that he's still a crafty guy on the mound and he can figure a way to get guys out, even if he's not a cy young pitcher anymore.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 05:36 PM)
the only one I'm concerned about is Tank. Even if Rivers is s*** (again) we know that Fuk is an option in RF. But Tank needs to show some bat. I believe Danks will come around, as will Peavy. One thing about JFP is that he's still a crafty guy on the mound and he can figure a way to get guys out, even if he's not a cy young pitcher anymore.

The real problem of course is that if Tank doesn't come out fast, they are going to be tempted to bench him...and that's of course, the successful way we developed such bats as Brian Anderson.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 01:32 PM)
https://twitter.com/#!/DKnobler/status/...664596737593345

That's nice...............

"White Sox look so bad this spring that 1 scout said, "They may lose 100 this year." Just remember, AZ and CLE were worst tms in AZ last spg."

Hey, someone with a worse outlook than my 95 loss prediction!

Completely theoretical: If the Sox lost 100 games this season (which would be the first time since 1970 and only the 4th time ever) would they consider firing Robin? Or does that loyalty stand strong?

Edited by Cali

QUOTE (Cali @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 07:56 PM)
Hey, someone with a worse outlook than my 95 loss prediction!

Completely theoretical: If the Sox lost 100 games this season (which would be the first time since 1970 and only the 4th time ever) would they consider firing Robin? Or does that loyalty stand strong?

Unless it was really his fault, aka he fought with media, players, management etc numerous times and embarrassed the franchise, I don't see Ventura going anywhere regardless of record.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 04:50 PM)
The real problem of course is that if Tank doesn't come out fast, they are going to be tempted to bench him...and that's of course, the successful way we developed such bats as Brian Anderson.

Please tell me you're not still clinging to the belief that Anderson would've been something, anything, had the Sox only given him the chance. Rob Mackowiak has suffered enough of your hatred.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 08:06 PM)
Unless it was really his fault, aka he fought with media, players, management etc numerous times and embarrassed the franchise, I don't see Ventura going anywhere regardless of record.

Good thing we've never had a manager that's done that!

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Mar 14, 2012 -> 12:15 AM)
Please tell me you're not still clinging to the belief that Anderson would've been something, anything, had the Sox only given him the chance. Rob Mackowiak has suffered enough of your hatred.

Thankfully we've never had anyone else looking over their shoulder at the 45 year old behind him who keeps getting playing time every time the kid does something good to help win a game.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 10:48 PM)
Ventura knows what its like to have a slow start. Dayan has what is essentially a blank check on playing time unless it Dunn-esque

Robin ,himself went 0 for 43 before getting his first hit. He didn't give up when his ankle got severely broken at the plate. Nothing can stop "sweet swinging " Robin. Dayan needs to see the tape of those moments of his courageous manager. Then he will be inspired and will ffinally be the cuban Babe Ruth.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Mar 14, 2012 -> 08:02 AM)
Robin ,himself went 0 for 43 before getting his first hit. He didn't give up when his ankle got severely broken at the plate. Nothing can stop "sweet swinging " Robin. Dayan needs to see the tape of those moments of his courageous manager. Then he will be inspired and will ffinally be the cuban Babe Ruth.

Sounds like the making of a Hollywood movie.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Mar 14, 2012 -> 10:02 AM)

He had an 0-41 in April/May of 1990, but not to start the season.

He got a hits in September of 89 when he first got called up.

I think Hawk has been saying he started his career 0-41 for years, and after a while everyone started believing it.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 14, 2012 -> 10:26 AM)
He had an 0-41 in April/May of 1990, but not to start the season.

He got a hits in September of 89 when he first got called up.

I think Hawk has been saying he started his career 0-41 for years, and after a while everyone started believing it.

sorry, I guess Hawk doesn't always tell the true story or doesn't let the facts interfere with a good story.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 11:15 PM)

I actually believe that there is a strong case of "what if" had we not completely f***ed that kid over.

He lowered his own chances by being weak mentally, though -- and of course by having a terrible first half of the season.

If the Sox don't give Dayan 500 AB's this season, whether he struggles or not They're more clueless than I feared. No matter what management says in the media, This season is ONLY about developing the younger players to see what they have moving forward... Hiding young players who struggle on the bench and treating them with kid gloves is just dumb. If they're on the major league team, PLAY THEM.

QUOTE (Cali @ Mar 14, 2012 -> 12:58 PM)
If the Sox don't give Dayan 500 AB's this season, whether he struggles or not They're more clueless than I feared. No matter what management says in the media, This season is ONLY about developing the younger players to see what they have moving forward... Hiding young players who struggle on the bench and treating them with kid gloves is just dumb. If they're on the major league team, PLAY THEM.

One positive sign of that is that Ventura/Cooper stuck Molina out there in the 8th and 9th innings.

Even though he's ticketed for AA, they're giving him the chance to prove his mettle.

Alexei Ramirez has a new nickname from the Angels' announcers, THE SPIDER, due to his range and gangly appearance at SS.

The Spider Missile? That doesn't work, ooops.

Edited by caulfield12