2012 MLB draft talk

DirtySox

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know anything about this Beck guy, but I love what I'm hearing. Thought of as a Top 10 pick coming into the season, but just didn't perform consistently. So he obviously has the stuff. I like the value on this guy in R2.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 09:43 AM)
Love the Beck pick. One of my preseason favorite players. Was a top 10 guy before a down year. Fix him Sox.

I like it more given our track record with pitchers. We have some very good coaches. Who knows if we can fix him, but hopefully the Sox can help him repeat his delivery and get him to be more consistently (consistently good that is). He's a guy, which isn't unique, whose stuff is great one day and not so great another day. Nate Jones had similar issues, however, those issues aren't near as severe as Beck's.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 10:34 AM)
I hate to hate on picks, but man this reeks of CJ Retherford.

Retherford was an undrafted free agent though. Big difference between the two. Retherford hit and hit and hit with the Sox (until he got the higher levels). The other question is, could he be Pedroia? I'm not saying he is, but this guy has above average bat speed. Dont' love the pick and he should be a relatively easy sign. Given that I'm not sure how much Beck will cost, I can live with this pick.

Downside is a utility infielder, upside is a solid offensive 2nd baseman. Would have rather went other directions with this pick.