2012 MLB draft talk

DirtySox

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't hate the pick, but I can certainly imagine a scenario where we never hear this guy's name again. Sounds like developing his power tool or improving defensively could make him a dark horse to be a good MLB'er

We've been pining for some guys in our system that project to certainly make enough contact to be MLB hitters and not MLB strikeout kings. Here you go. Average across the board, plus contact tool

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 10:41 AM)
Retherford didn't play because he was blocked by two good pro prospects. That's why he went undrafted. He proved to be more talented than that.

Completely agree with you. However, Retherford didn't have quite the bat speed. Whose to say this kid doesn't turn into a Howie Kendrick type player. And to be frank, given the fact that all players would be flawed, it seems to me that the Sox went with a guy here with a high floor that they think has pretty good odds of making it to the big leagues vs. a guy who has tremendous upside but a ton of downside.

Given it is now the 3rd round, everyone is going to have flaws and the ceiling/floor gaps will be all over the place. The dude has done nothing but rake though. Not sure how well he'll hit going forward, but this is a guy that I fully expect to hit and excel early in his career. The real push for him will be how he handles more advanced pitching (and better stuff). That said, he put up great numbers in a very very strong conference (PAC 10 was legit this year; Stanford, ASU, Oregon, UCLA were all excellent teams). It would appear the bat speed and physical abilities are there for him to hit more advanced pitching (which is a good sign).

Speaking of CJ Retherford, I kind of wish this year we had a utility guy who could catch in a pinch.

That way you have added flexibility with pinch-hitting, because you can use Flowers' power bat in any situation and not fear an AJ injury.

And it would allow for more Flowers-at-1B. But I guess next year it's all moot as he's likely handed C.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

I have an organizational question to throw out there for the ones in the know. Have the White Sox done a lot of re-structuring with their scouting or philosophy or anything? I guess what I am really asking is...does it appear they are going after different kinds of players for a reason or just going after best available?

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 01:26 PM)
I have an organizational question to throw out there for the ones in the know. Have the White Sox done a lot of re-structuring with their scouting or philosophy or anything? I guess what I am really asking is...does it appear they are going after different kinds of players for a reason or just going after best available?

I think it's the same crew, but maybe the new draft rules and this particular draft class have them taking a different approach.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 01:26 PM)

The approach has seemed to change in recent years, not just this year. They've loaded up on tall pitchers with big fastballs and athletic power hitters. In other words, they love tools, something they were criticized for not taking before 2010.

Brennan sounds like a White Sox sleeper. Hard to be a sleeper in the 4th round, but 3/4 arm slot and BA said he struggles to hit his release point. That's what the Sox teach best.

From the FutureSox draft tracker:

Brennan has a fastball that sits around 90, but on a good day hits 93-94. He throws from a 3/4 arm slot and has had trouble consistently hitting his arm slot, which could explain the inconsistent velocity. He also has a slider, which has been described as inconsistent, and a change up. Drafted 40th round out of high school, but opted to go to Oregon where he didn't play in 2010. 108.1 IP, 1.25 ERA, 72 K, 23 BB, 76 H as starter this spring. Houston signee.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 11:26 AM)

Sox philosphy shifted a decent amount under Bell and Lauman.

http://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerp....aspx?ID=265273

Nick Basto is a 2012 SS/3B with a 6-1 190 lb. frame from Davie, FL who attends Archbishop McCarthy HS. Lean angular athletic build, strong with room to add more. Strong infield arm, over the top release with good carry and accuracy, good footwork, athletic actions to the ball, charges well, solid middle infield tools. Right handed hitter, spread stance, high hands, long swing at present, creates raw bat speed, high finish with some lift, mid field contact, handles the barrel well, hits to all fields, will improve offensively with shorter approach and added strength. Very interesting athlete who projects well. Good student, verbal commitment to Miami.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 01:42 PM)
Sox philosphy shifted a decent amount under Bell and Lauman.

Gotcha. That was right after the whole Dave Wilder debacle right?

In your opinion..or anyone's opinion really, have these changes brought better prospects in?

I know we are still considered the bottom of the barrel..but it takes more than a few years to get out I would assume.

We know Sale has worked out thus far...but are there other guys recently drafted that have been at least somewhat valuable?

Sorry for all the questions, but I don't follow the draft and low minors as much.