2012 MLB draft talk

DirtySox

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 08:05 PM)
SOS with KW and company cheap signable guy and drafting way above projection.

Remember, the Sox have actually produced quite a bit of major league players through the draft (comparatively speaking). I don't like it but I also like the potential of the guy the Sox picked (other guys more, but thats not saying the Sox picked a crappy player). This isn't Kenny Jr the Sox picked here. Or even Wes Whisler (who was a garbage pick).

I'll say one thing, if you grade the picks based upon MLB's comps, then the Sox win out (Howard & Kemp). All that said, one thing stands out about both of these guys. They have mlb body types now and great bat speed. It is something that stood out about Viciedo as well. I like the fact that we are getting guys with some upside if they pan out. These two guys immediately become the best power prospects in the Sox system (Sox really didn't have any other then the raw Thompson, unless you look at a guy like Wilkins). And these two have better power potential then Trayce.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 04:13 AM)
I'll say one thing, if you grade the picks based upon MLB's comps, then the Sox win out (Howard & Kemp). All that said, one thing stands out about both of these guys. They have mlb body types now and great bat speed. It is something that stood out about Viciedo as well. I like the fact that we are getting guys with some upside if they pan out. These two guys immediately become the best power prospects in the Sox system (Sox really didn't have any other then the raw Thompson, unless you look at a guy like Wilkins). And these two have better power potential then Trayce.

Agreed, both of them are different type of players than recent high draft picks by the Sox.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 08:11 PM)
Seems like he was knocked because he is locked into 1B defensively. So? He's all about the bat and power. If you don't hit you're probably not going to make it to the big leagues anyways.

Excellent points. I wouldn't even be surprised if the Sox try him in left field. Sounds like a few teams talked to him about it. You already know he can play solid defense at 1B, so why not try him elsewhere (unless of course a team just really doesn't believe he can do it). Worse case, you move him to 1st a few years from now. The key with him is his bat and that seems to grade out well (swing can get a little long, but you can't coach the bat speed and raw power potential he has).